1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB:Cowboys 2012 Draft Prospects: Wisconsin OC Peter Konz

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...2-draft-prospects-wisconsin-center-peter-konz
    by rabblerousr on Apr 9, 2012 4:30 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft

This is the first installment of a month-long series on the Cowboys targets in the 2012 draft. Due to the strong historical correlation between the various National and Dallas Day invitees in recent years, I will focus on those players, as well as players who have been linked to the Cowboys at positions where the Dallas braintrust is clearly looking at multiple players. We'll begin on the offensive line, hit the offensive skill positions and then, as the draft draws nearer, move to the guys most likely to be drafted: the defensive players, at all three levels.

Today, we'll see what the top scouts have to say about Wisconsin's Peter Konz. The Badgers' center in an impressive physical specimen, coming in at 6'5" and 314, which is big (and tall) for an NFL center. After his 2011 season, Konz was a Rimington Trophy finalist, was named first-team All-American by multiple organizations, as well as All-Big Ten and, perhaps most importantly for Jason Garrett's "RKG" search, Academic All-Big Ten. Perhaps more impressive is that Konz was a three-year starter for one of the most hailed (and highly awarded) offensive lines in the nation - a group that has produced the likes of Joe Thomas, Gabe Carimi, John Moffett, Kevin Zeitler and, of course, the Cowboys Bill Nagy, in recent years. In earning the starting nod three years running, Konz has already survived the fiercest of competitions.

What Konz has not managed to do over his illustrious collegiate career is to make it through a full season. Injuries have been a major issue for Konz. In 2009, he suffered blood clots in both lungs; a sprained ankle sidelined him in 2010, and a painful dislocated ankle forced him to miss 2011 season's final three contests and prevented him from running and doing position drills at either the Combine or at Wisconsin's March 7 pro day (he did execute an OC-worst 18 bench press reps at the Combine). However, more than a dozen teams were in attendance last week when he and interior linesman Keitler and Josh Oglesby were put through their paces. Konz improved his bench to 23 reps and showed quickness and agility during the drills.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    This kid is so scary medically.

Blood clots - 30% recurrence rate in general population who don't take a NFL beating. The issue isn't the blood clot but the lifelong anti-coagulation.

Ankle - one major sprain and one dislocation. Ankle dislocations are fairly uncommon injuries and they are far from trivial injuries.

I just really worry about this pick. I"d prefer to wait until the 3rd round if we want to draft him. I think we're better off with Killa but it we want a new guy I think Blake at the bottom of the 3rd is a better target.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,373 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    They are interviewing him tomorrow on Path to the draft on NFLN.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,188 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    it is amazing how many do not want to acknowledge this
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,421 Messages
    1,800 Likes Received
    Even without the medical, I think he is a little overrated. IMO, he is not in the same class as Maurkice Pouncey or Nick Mangold.

Without the medical, I would rate him as a high 2nd rounder.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The biggest problem with Konz is he's probably should go late in the 1st in the 25-30 range. Which means to get value for him Dallas has to trade way down in the first, which I hate. Or move way up from 45, which I also hate.