News: BTB: Cowboys O-line: Defending The Splash Play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Oct 26, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,123 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    by One.Cool.Customer on Oct 26, 2011 6:30 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys General

Think back to the Rams game. Now try to visualize what you remember about Doug Free's performance. If you're like me and probably 98% of all football fans, chances are the only thing you'll remember about Doug Free is the sack he allowed on Romo.

That's only one play out of 65 snaps that Doug Free played on Sunday, yet often that's all we use to base our entire evaluation of a player on. That is the reality offensive linemen have to live with. For the most part, they get noticed only when they make mistakes or allow what NFL scouts call splash plays - plays that turn games around. Splash plays include sacks, QB hits, QB pressures and penalties.
  2. NassauCowboy

NassauCowboy New Member

11 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    on that play Free was tripped by the back going through the hole on the fake. if that doesn't happen there would be no sack.
  3. shockandroll

shockandroll New Member

1,632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting breakdown. I think we're going to have a field day with their oline from what I see. The key is more than one guy bringing it or Vick can just scramble away. I expect to see Ratliff collapsing the pocket or just blowing past him based on the centers stats and size.

On our side, Holland and Fiammetta completely change what's happened to this point, imo. Holland will make Free and Costa better which is turn should help Kosier a bit too.