1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Cowboys Offensive Line: Year Two Of The Remodeling Project

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, May 10, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,467 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Cowboys Offensive Line: Year Two Of The Remodeling Project

by Dave Halprin

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...nsive-line-year-two-of-the-remodeling-project

Last offseason, the Dallas Cowboys started their remodeling project along the offensive line. Aging veterans were jettisoned, young players were given their chance. Even though it didn't all go according to plan, it at least seemed like a plan, one Jason Garrett was willing to follow. The one very bright spot in that plan was the addition of Tyron Smith. The ninth overall pick of the 2011 draft was just what the doctor ordered for the Cowboys, playing like an accomplished veteran in his rookie season. That was at right tackle. Now, the Cowboys are asking him to take over at left tackle, the premier position on the offensive line. The approach on that side is a little different, but Smith thinks he's already prepared for the transition.

"I’ve always prepared for it, switching sides, working on both stances every day," Smith said at the Cowboys’ annual golf outing. "It’s just all about knowing what’s happening on the other side and knowing what you have to do."

Jason Garrett echoes the same theme:

"The stance is different. Just the angles of things will be a little bit different for him, but he’s a very good athlete," head coach Jason Garrett said. "He’s a serious, conscientious guy, so he works very hard at it. He’s one of those young guys who go about it the right way, he has the right approach and he has ability, so you see him grow really on a daily basis. It’s fun to see him out on the practice field now."...
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,340 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    I'm really excited about Tyron's future. I'm more concerned with the interior line though, but I want to put faith in Callahan. I just don't think it's going to be this year for the offensive line.

Maybe a high draft pick next year, and a free agent pick up. Hopefully at least one of these guys can develop this year.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    It is all about the center position. If we can get a lot better there then the line will be much better overall. ANYONE BUT COSTA!!!!!
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    I think Jerry's comments after the draft were pretty clear. When he said that they would have taken or was the highest player they had on their board was Bobby Wagner and not Konz, I think they see something in Costa, Killer or Nagy.

Not addressing the center position in FA or the draft is a clear message they like what they currently have on the roster.

Be prepared for one of those 3 to be the starter and if I had to pick one today it would be Costa.
  5. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    God help Romo in that case
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I agree up to the point of Costa. If he can show improvement if he can win the battle then great. He is not a vet center he too is a young player who was thrown into the fire as a 2nd year player. Now if he can't show the improvement then hopefully one of the other step up but right now I would not discount Costa. What took place last year is done all that matters is what guys show now
  7. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    He stank it up; this BS that he played a lot better later in the season is just that. He got better sure; he went from PUTRID to a couple of steps below mediocre.
  8. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    He is also a guy who was in his 2nd year, sorry if his development does not meet your standards. As I have said I'm not pro Costa or anti Costa I want these guys to go out and compete. If Costa steps up and shows he can do the job then that is fine by me same for all others competing.

I don't care about fans likes and dislikes or the grudges they hold. I care about the Cowboys putting the best players out there if Costa can show he can do the job great.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,722 Messages
    3,222 Likes Received
    JMO but the entire season will depend on how this unit performs.
  10. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

sorry if you do not care that our QB gets worked and our running game stinks.
  11. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I do which is why I want to see guys competing for the job. I don't care about fans feelings or the grudges they carry. If Costa can go out and show improvement and win the job then great but to say I don't think he can so he should not even be in the mix is foolish. I don't want the job handed to anyone I want to see it settled on the field not some message board.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    The entire O-line with the exception of our LT is a disaster waiting to happen. Free at RT? He needed a bunch of help last time he played there. He was pushed around at LT last year. There is no reason to expect dramatic improvement now that he moved back to the right. The interior is filled with JAGS. To think this line is going to be dramatically better is silly. Hope and change will not make a better line, especially when you are hoping guys that have never been able to get it done will magically figure it out.

We are wasting the careers of Romo and Witten. It pisses me off. By the time the team gets serious about building an O-Line, those guys will be gone and we will be back on the QB carousel.:bang2:
  13. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    certainly has stunk it up on the field, though. Until they prove they can develope lower round picks we need to get them high.

Or watch our QB run for his life and our running game a joke when it gets close
  14. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Yes and we have gone to older players like Davis, Colombo and Kosier. But you don't stop trying to get young players in and willing to work with them because things did not pan out in the past and you don't give up on young players after 1 season. All I see from you is Dallas should not even try
  15. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    come on people, I'm tired of folks who condemn a young player before they can even develop into an NFL player--let's give the line a chance--we are miles beyond where we were last year in athletic quality and experience, and we finally have a new OL coach
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I don't think anybody has a problem with these players on a personal level. Most fans would like players that have more talent to develop. It is a big gamble to place most of your hopes in undrafted free agents, late round picks and lower tier free agents. It failed last year and the team didn't make any dramatic changes this year to the level of talent for this year. I wish them the best, but am expecting no major changes. Callahan may be a good coach, but so was Houck. They have to have players with some level of upside to coach them up.