1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Cowboys Sign TE Cochart, Get Everyone They Wanted Onto The Practice Squad

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Cowboys Sign TE Cochart, Get Everyone They Wanted Onto The Practice Squad
    by One.Cool.Customer

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...rt-get-everyone-they-wanted-onto-the-practice

Busy day at Valley Ranch so far. After Friday's cuts that left many Cowboys fans scratching their heads, the Cowboys went out and signed themselves an extra tight end, signed eight players to their practice squad and released quarterback Stephen McGee.

The Cowboys claimed TE Colin Cochart (6-4, 260) off waivers from the Bengals and added him to the 53-man roster. To compensate for the roster move, the Cowboys cut ties with 2009 draft pick Stephen McGee. Cochart started three games for the Bengals last year and played in 10. Cochart is considered primarily a blocker, and only caught five passes for 44 yards and one touchdown in last year.

The Cowboys signed eight players to their practice squad. None of the Cowboys' Friday cuts were picked up off waivers by other teams, so the practice squad is made up entirely of players the Cowboys had in camp: WR Danny Coale, LB Orie Lemon, RB Lance Dunbar, RB Jamize Olawale, DT Robert Calloway, DE Ben Bass, WR Tim Benford and G Ron Leary...
  2. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,677 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Well, I'm pretty pleased with the practice squad. And Cochart blocking skills will be valuable as a replacement for Witten. Witten may become a hybrid WR for the next few games.
  3. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    great job by the staff, we got everyone we wanted back on the PS
  4. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sure did,the staff new what they were doing:starspin
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Apparently not one team in the NFL wanted any of our roster-misses. OK. I see nothing worthy of congratulation for our staff here. Can you explain?
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Why? All you do is doubt...and ask others to do the work.
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :clap2:
  8. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,015 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I'm happy overall. Only guy I hated to see get away was Hamilton.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,130 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    I've seen a lot of rueing about losing Adrian Hamilton.
  10. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,655 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I'm one of the rue'ers.:p:
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,384 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    we could claim him off their practice squad if we wanted to in the future. once witten comes back we wont need a 4th TE.
  12. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    well...the staff had to take into consideration which players they could re-sign back to the practice squad. and guessed right...ie Lemon, Coale.

kudos goes out to them, not to mention the trade for Cook as well.
  13. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I'm glad it turned out that way. What is the actual rule about other teams signing players off our practice squad?

Can they at any time sign one of our practice squad players and sign them to their 53 man roster?
  14. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Yes they can.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,130 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    Not likely unless we are prepared to put him on the 53.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I didn't see where Hamilton landed?
  17. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,656 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Baltimore.
  18. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ahhh... yeah? It's called: They have their own talent they want to worry about and resign.

Seriously. Folks act like the Cowboys are the only people in the league that have to make cuts, and whose cuts are free for grabs.

EVERY team has to go through this. EVERY team has people they want to keep. EVERY team worries that someone will take their players.

Teams cut 22 people on Friday. That's 704 Free Agents. I'm absolutely shocked that the team wasn't staring down our 22!
  19. KoRnyBrad

KoRnyBrad I am the Bat!

259 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I for one am glad we got to keep Olawale around. Not only do I like when they announce his name, I think he will be a good short yard/goal line/power back down the road if we need one.
  20. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    that's great, i really want to keep Lemon and think he may be a cheaper, more upside version of Conner. Surprised he wasn't picked up. Think he has a place in the league as a 3-4 ILB thumper. If he lasts on the PS, could see Conner dropped next season and add Lemon to the active roster.
    Liked the other PS signings too, surprised they all made the PS and weren't picked up.