1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB:Cowboys Tidbits: Bruce Carter Sets Return Date, 2011 Cap Space And Jerry Jones On

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...-bruce-carter-sets-return-date-2011-cap-space
    by KD Drummond on Aug 16, 2011 7:12 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2011 Pre-Season

Some days are slow, others have you trying to cram a million topics into a headline. Today is one of those juicy days.

-- The Cowboys have a little over $6 million left in 2011 cap space, according to this analysis by NFL.com's Jason LaConfora. Teams are now exactly two weeks away from having to trim their 90+ rosters down to 75 (August 30th) and then there is the final cut to 53 on September 3rd. It remains a possibility that the Cowboys look to bolster their offensive line, but another solid game by the youngsters on Sunday night and the team might look to stand pat there. Of course, unexpected cuts by other teams could cause Jerry and Stephen Jones to rethink this. The cap space could also be saved for restructuring current contracts to lessen 2012 cap impact, or to sign a veteran after week 1, when the contract isn't guaranteed for the season.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,417 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    Note to the author at BTB. If Carter practices at all he cannot be placed on the PUP list.

Thank you.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,345 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    6 mil under and Carter to hit the field soon. Wiggle room under the cap (hopefully for a DB/Saftey) and another 1st round LB on the field. Gotta keep Tanner.
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    The whole Carter situation is kind of a long shot for 2011 IMO. I can't believe he's going to play in the last preseason game if he just starts practicing that week. And with little to no preseason and no OTA's how much can they hope for the rookie contribute in 2011?

I wouldn't rule out PUP at this point. Who knows? Did we really draft this kid with an expectation that his rookie year would look like this? Are we so confident of his long-term that we'd use an early 2nd on a guy whose 2011 was very likely going to be of little contribution? Sorry, I'm just disappointed in how this is playing out so far. Add the Murray hamstring and thus far we've seen ZERO from our 2nd & 3rd picks.

Not calling anyone a bust or lost cause but those who panned these picks for injury reasons are so far right on the money.
  5. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,794 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    the majority of Cowboy fans are frustrated in general for obvious reasons. But I don't think either were going to be first line guys anyway. Carter was only going to be counted on to be a significant contributor if a front line guy got injured. And I am not so sure he would be thrust into that role even then. Maybe a vet would be picked up. But the guy is not even one year removed from ACL surgery. So should we expect him to be ready, as a rookie, to play 50+ downs in the most violent sport imagineable with an unsturdy leg?

And hamstrings are funny if you have ever had one. Let it heal properly and you do not have to worry about it again. You need him for 2 series at most per game right now. A first round pick was used on Felix. And Tashard Choice has yet to ever get a chance to be a significant contributor. So again, he was 3rd in the pecking order.

My point is, if Carter and Murray were the difference in Dallas winning and losing this year, we aren't nearly as good as the organization thinks we are.
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,391 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I am not crazy about our 2nd day picks,you cannot have a 2nd rd pick with a red shirt year(we are not that talented ).I hope we get rid of the policy of drafting injured players for good next year .
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,676 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

After 3 weeks?

Jebbus.
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes you can and yes we are it happens all the time Peter Chung did almost nothing his first year on the Pats
  9. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,391 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Pats can afford to do that,we have no depth at ilb and are forced to turn to undrafted
    Rookies becuase carter may be a lost cause this year.
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They had depth problems at safety the year they drafted him so as I said yes we can.
  11. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    these guys usually have 3 years to prove themselves. For Carter, The first year injured. Second year becomes first year. Just learning. 3rd year. all or nothing cause the team's gonna start looking to upgrade the position if he doesn't shine.

I think it's a gamble. Rather draft a healthy player. So I hope you're all wrong and he does play some this first year so he can get a feel for the pro game.
  12. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,259 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    i just hope he is going to come back in two weeks like they say. Our medical staff/trainers are not too good at predicting when someone should come back.
  13. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its just Jerry Jones that does it......get your facts straight...no other NFL takes a chance on injured college players... ;)
  14. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He will be put on pup....not a big deal....let the kid learn...

Just imagine he was healty and hurt his knee last week and is out half the year......Im willing to wait for this kid.....
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I think Carter will play this year however I think mostly on Special teams where he made a name for himself as a top special teams player. I'm sure Ryan will try to work him in on certain defensive packages as the season moves on.
  16. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    La Canfora's precise dollar amount for our cap room looks rather familiar.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,173 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

he is not as dumb as he sounds sometimes. he obviously comes here and reads your posts.
  18. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The bigger issue is...that the picks aren't panning out.

If the organization wants to utilize a philosophy of value picks due to the fact that the player in injured, then the only sacrifice year would be the first year this approach was employed.

Subsequent years would see the value pick from the prior year, healed and on board.

It ain't working because the players chosen aren't panning out in following seasons
  19. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Yes, after 3 weeks they are right on the money. Neither one has seen the practice field as yet because of injury. That's what you call batting 1000.

Not overreacting, just stating a fact.
  20. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,527 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    :laugh2: