1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: Dallas Cowboys Passing Game-The First Ten Weeks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,287 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    [IMG]

A marathon film session to watch every pass the Cowboys have thrown in 2013? Yes, that happened, and the results are below detailing the Cowboys ups and downs on offense.

So far in the 2013 season, according to Dallascowboys.com, Tony Romo has completed 239 of 370 pass attempts for 2,681 yards. Along with these 370 attempts, Romo has taken 22 sacks over the course of 10 games, and this weekend, I decided to watch every single one of them, at least twice.

So on Friday evening around 6 o'clock I settled in for the closest I've ever been to a coaches and players marathon film session, after calling it a night at 10 pm, I started up again at 8:45 Saturday morning, and finally finished with the Saints game at around 4:30 pm. So that's essentially 12 hours of film work over two days focusing on every aspect of the Cowboys passing game I could possibly observe, and now it's my goal to share the lessons I learned, first to describe the current state of the Cowboys passing game, and secondly (later this week) to prescribe my theorized cures for what ails the once explosive Dallas offense.

Major Points:

Play Calling:

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the nuance involved in the design of the plays the Cowboys put on the field over the first 10 weeks. There is a lot of criticism thrown around by fans and writers alike (myself included) that this offense doesn't have any bread and butter plays that they can depend on when they need a conversion, and that the coaching staff doesn't do enough creatively to get their players in favorable situations, and doesn't use guys like James Hanna and Lance Dunbar properly or frequently enough.

However, when I was able to watch this offense, and take in the games as a big picture, and see the trends from game to game as well as series to series, I was able to uncover several "go-to" plays that this team turns to multiple times a game when they need conversions.

Let's go to the chalkboard to look over a few of those schemes:

[IMG]

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/btb-dallas-cowboys-passing-game-the-first-ten-weeks.274504/
    Zordon and percyhoward like this.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    I wish this person who obviously spent so much of his time analyzing every pass play had first taken into account the huge discrepancy between 3rd down and the other downs with regard to (1) passer rating and (2) receiver targeted. If Romo is the problem, then it has to be explained why the problem has been limited to 3rd downs, since the same guy is also throwing all the passes on 1st and 2nd.

In the last 5 games, where 3rd-down passing has hit rock-bottom, Romo is still the 3rd-highest rated passer in the league on 1st and 2nd downs, which account for 78% of the Cowboys plays!
    khiladi, jobberone and cowboys2233 like this.
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Maybe the first 2 downs we complete passes 2-5 yds?
  4. percyhoward

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    If that were the case, Romo couldn't possibly have the 3rd-higest rating, because his YPA would be terrible. Over the last 5 games, our average completion goes for just over 11 yards on 1st and 2nd down.

86 of 136 957 yd 7 td 1 int 98.2
    khiladi and jobberone like this.
  5. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I think those 48 points they scored in Denver cost them points later on. They used everything they had and don't seem to surprise anyone anymore. I'm not smart enough to say the play caliing is bad on any given down or game but it looks like they're out smarting themselves and just need to go deep more often and stop concentrating on finding mismatches.
  6. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    Stats don't always tell the whole story. Film don't lie. Tony's just been a little off, idc 1st down 2nd down and 3rd down.
  7. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,487 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    Football Outsiders has situation and opponent specific rankings by Down and Distance.

1st Down we are 8th in the league.
    2nd & Short 18th.
    2nd & Mid 2nd
    2nd & Long 8th
    All 2nd 4th
    3rd & Short 17th
    3rd & Mid 27th
    3rd & Long 31st
    All 3rd 31st
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    854 Likes Received

Now check your average yd per attempt. Especially in the first half.
  9. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,739 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    we suck on third down sums it all up. Our defense gave the ball back to the offense so many times.
  10. jobberone

38,287 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    11 is rocking!
  11. jobberone

38,287 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    I haven't looked at that. In fact I've been busier than a one legged man and haven't had time to look at much at all lately. Has someone looked at 3rd down's and penalties contributing? That can't be the answer to it all and maybe not much but I'd like to know that and % of penalties in the RZ.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Theres prolly an easier way to check on penalties in the RZ but you might find this interesting. If you click on the date of the game for each game they break it down pretty good.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/dallas-cowboys?&year=2013
    jobberone likes this.
  13. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    You mean play-action is successful, yet we never run it, but rarely?
  14. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    The problem with the All-22 and watching game film and open receivers... What are we seeing with Romo?

http://smartfootball.com/quarterbac...l-coverages-or-keying-specific-pass-defenders

15. percyhoward

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    That's actually not new. Like last year, we're much better in the 2nd half. Here are 1st and 2nd downs only, last five games:

1st half
    62 attempts
    5.2 yards per attempt
    66.7 rating

2nd half
    74 attempts
    8.6 yards per attempt
    124.6 rating

And here are all downs, last five games:

1st half
    86 attempts
    5.4 yards per attempt
    64.32 rating

2nd half
    96 attempts
    7.3 yards per attempt
    97.4 rating

These passer ratings are for the second half over the last five games:
    (minimum 70 attempts)
    Romo 97.4
    Rivers 97.1
    Manning 95.1
    Brees 91.1

Which just brings us back to the same kind of question. Why are Romo's bad reads, bad throws, and bad mechanics so damaging in the first half, but not the second half?
  16. jobberone

38,287 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    Oh Snap I didn't know about that site! :)

On a serious note I appreciate that. I'll hit it later but I bookmarked it. :)
    OhSnap likes this.