1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Jerry Jones: Cowboys Interior O-line And Secondary Didn't Match Up Well w/NFCE

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones: "Cowboys Interior O-line And Secondary Didn't Match Up Well With NFC East Rivals"
    by One.Cool.Customer

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...rior-o-line-and-secondary-didnt-match-up-well

For the latest episode of Special Edition, Mickey Spagnola of dallascowboys.com sat down to talk with Cowboys owner, president and general manager Jerry Jones (yes, Spagnola did call his boss all those things) about the status of the team.

Obviously, the whole "interview" was much more scripted than a normal press interview would be, so there really weren't any awkward Jerry moments, and it made the whole thing a lot easier to understand and transcribe.

Jerry Jones, despite being asked about his expectations going forward, decided to give summary of what the Cowboys had done in the offseason and touched on three things we'll look at in more detail after the break:

Competition on the roster Matching up with the NFC East Improving the secondary and interior offensive line....
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,853 Messages
    7,579 Likes Received
    Good to hear that Jerry expects we've got a chance to be as good in the interior as we expect we could be.
  3. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

Jerry really has a way with words, doesnt he.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,824 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Nice!

What I noticed, was that rather than fixating on division vs non-division, was the fact that the Cowboys really didn't beat any good teams. The lone exception to that was the early season win against San Francisco, an overtime game that went down to the wire.

So, more than anything else, the schedule and won-loss record showed me that they were, in fact, what the record showed, a middle-of-the-pack, average team.

Hopefully, that really changes in 2012.

The Giants showed that things can change quickly, even within a single season.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,074 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    Agree totally.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    You build your team to first win your division. And we have not done that.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Hate to say it, but our interior OL will once again be a problem for us, especially on the middle/right side. I expect us to go after G/C Max Unger in free agency next year.
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    That we shall see, as the teams that beat Dallas last season, to wit, the Giants and Philadelphia, were actually pretty strong teams in the NFC. The Cowboys should have at least split with the Giants.

There are many things contributing to change, and the development process doesn't go out the window with a lack of confidence kept in an 'eternal' fire of sarcasm and doubt by a fan group or negative group of media members.

As to the building, we shall see the effects on the field...during the season. But the indicators are already in place. Disprove it in the now...
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,494 Likes Received
    Transactions:
    Jul 25 Max Unger C Re-signed by Seattle (Multi-year extension)
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I think the offense line is going to be better this season.
  11. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I agree the interior will be a problem. From getting the tough yards for first down to having pressue in Romo's face all season up the middle. I just hope it doesn't get Romo hurt or give him happy feet.
  12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,824 Likes Received
    I believe that I heard on Sirius NFL Radio that Unger had signed a long-term extension with the Seahawks.

We had our shot at him but blew it.

By the way, where are Robert Brewster and Jason Williams now, who are they playing for?

:rolleyes:
  13. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Everyone in the NFC East was, except New York whose persistent good coaching got them focused when they needed it most.

Garrett lost his team with that idiotic timeout and bad playcalling vs Detroit and New England. He was floundering while Coughlin and Gilbride kept at it until they found their identity, in the end a winning formula.

Dallas had no identity except for "Tony Romo pulls a win out of his butt".
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Going into camp, that rendition would lead one to believe all is a tattered man crawling in the desert on his final meters, all exhausted.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received
    agree totally
    when you build your team on flash rather than substance, the really good teams will manhandle you
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:
  17. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I agree. But I'm not so sure it will be a huge leap of improvement. However, Costa can only get better, and out of nine-or-so guys, I think we can field two starting guards that are at least average.
  18. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,018 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    You are on the money. The Detroit game spooked Garrett...he handled the New England and Arizona games like he was PROTECTING Romo....you cannot win games like that. Especially when he dared Tom Brady to lead his team to victory in his own backyard with 2 mins to go. The Arizona game....don't get me started. Again, not sure if he lost the team...but a QB can tell when you don't trust him.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    actually with the record of the boys it is up to YOU to prove those so called indicators mean anything.
  20. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    :lmao2: You'd crap in a snowstorm and declare brown snow...as all you ever bring is the same commodity. Disgust, served with insultive demeaning.

What is humorous, is you additionally claim advantage through it.

But NOWHERE approach a discussion...on team direction or how it applies ALSO to your cherry picked Bytche!

Use ANY metric or outside source to prove ANYTHING you protect...ANYTHING beyond your condescending tone.

*(try taking five minutes and reading the entire OP on the dispelling myth about Jerry thread) Your ignoring and then rushing to ring tap freshly from the burn barrel grew old a few years ago.

Then attempt to comment on reasons, not wrapped in your own negative and insultive view.