1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: Mocking The Cowboys Draft: The Rise Of The Linemen

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    Mocking The Cowboys Draft: The Rise Of The Linemen
    by One.Cool.Customer on Jan 28, 2011 3:46 AM EST

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...wboys-draft-the-rise-of-the-linemen#storyjump

Colorado offensive tackle Nate Solder is one Cowboys candidate for the No. 9 pick in some mock drafts.

Another week is almost over and we have got another edition of freshly mocked drafts to peruse.

The highlight of this week's mock draft roundup is the magical disappearance of Prince Amukamara from the ninth spot on almost all mock drafts. Perhaps Jerry's comments from the Senior Bowl practices scared the mockers away, but it's more likely that Prince has simply moved up the rankings, just out of the Cowboys' reach.

Even Mel Kiper is finding it difficult to let Amukamara slide all the way to the ninth spot:

"I can't see (Amukamara) getting past Dallas. Now, surprises happen every draft, and you never say never, but right now, I had a tough time getting him down to Dallas," Kiper said. "I didn't even feel great about pushing him down to Dallas. I thought about even giving him to a couple teams earlier. San Francisco (at No. 7) could go corner, maybe somebody could trade up and get him."

As a result, this week sees an influx of both both offensive and defensive linemen as the Cowboys' first pick...
  2. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    No Way on Solder not worth a high pick too much of a Project when you can take Gabe Carimi....
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Houck likes big road grader offensive lineman. Solder is not a guy we are looking at.
  4. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    And how has that been working out for us?
  5. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,875 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Which one our our current o-linemen has Houck chosen in a draft? Free? Let Red and Houck get the linemen they want to work with in their system instead of Parcells and Jerry's mix match group from years prior.

I bet a huge improvement would come of those newly chosen big road grader type of linemen. The guys currently here don't compliment one another very well at all.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What are you saying? You want to switch to a zone blocking scheme? Thats what Solder will be.
  7. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The other thing is that there is some question if Solder is really ready to play in the NFL next season and especially at RT. He's got one year experience at tackle and that's at LT.

He is not a good fit for the Cowboys, especially if they want him to start next season. I think if he's drafted, many people will end up disappointed before he can earn their appreciation.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I'd rather move away from the "road grater" model.

Too damn slow and their ability to get out in space sucks.

Start finding guys who are a little lighter and that can move.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    Personally I like man on man; but get more athletic guys who can move.
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    Dangit! I just want to hit on at least one big time lineman. Can we get that much?
  11. brickman

brickman Well-Known Member

1,370 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Definitely need to get linemen that can move. A couple of those guys (Bigg and Colombo) can't get out of their own way.
  12. acer941

acer941 Member

253 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Cause he was in a zone blocking scheme in college doesnt means he cant learn a new blocking style which is simpler.
  13. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    NFL blocking schemes have evolved to include more athletic play by the Olineman.

Offensive Lineman have to be able to move, read and trap to be fully effective. Dallas plays out far too one demetional.

Defenses have become more evolved and complex to the point that you can't get away with a one on one scheme on every play.
  14. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Von Miller (OLB) or Peterson (CB) or Quinn (DE) don't fall to us at pick#9, we'd be better off drafting one of the top tier OT studs in this year's DRAFT in the 1st Rd and a top tier stud OG or Center in Rd 2. Bill Belichick says the best OL guys are usually 6'4" 310lbs (give or take 5-9 lbs) with big bottoms and long strong arms/hands to 'run block' and 'stonewall' pass rusher or guide pass rushers around the QB pocket'.

While this describes top tier OG's Moffitt, Watson, & Ijalana (among other stud OG or Center prospects), we can pick one of them in the 2nd Rd at pick 40 while grabbing one of the top tier OT's like Carimi, Solder, or Canstonzo or Sherrod, Smith, Canon, or other stud OT with our 9th pick (or other lower pick if we could slide down in exchange for an extra 3rd or 4th Rd pick).

I really don't SEE this happening because Buffalo or San Francisco or Bengals or Tennessee will start the QB grab by nabbing Cam Newton and then you'll see the other top tier QB's start to go soon after.

Therefore, I really SEE either Quinn or Von Miller falling to us at pick #9. Will Jerry and staff take either of them or try and trade down to grab a top tier OT along with an extra draft pick. That is the million dollar question?
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's wrong with big men who can move??

Every draft has a few of them, you just have to find them...

However, Solder is not what the Cowboys want, or what I want... I do not want us to go to some sissy zone blocking scheme; the Cowboys achieved greatness with big ol' mastodons who could run some, that's what I want again...
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,151 Messages
    2,781 Likes Received
    There are 0 offensive tackles worth taking at the #9 spot.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    Frankly looking at this class I doubt there is one of them worth taking at the #15 slot.
  18. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    might feel different retrospectively in 1-3 yrs.....like every draft;)
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,151 Messages
    2,781 Likes Received
    I don't think so either.

Right now I'd target an offensive lineman at with pick #40.
  20. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,718 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    I think that is the best target area in this draft.