1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Rod Marinelli Best Defensive Coordinator According To Charles Tillman

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,723 Messages
    900 Likes Received
    Tillman was on Sirrius radio and basically said he was done. Kirwin asked him if he would consider coming back as a specialty safety, to cover today's TE types, (Graham and others) and he said he hadn't thought about it, but is open to the idea.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,834 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    Peanut's a beast. He's not coming here, but he's a really good player. Nice words for Marinelli, too.
  3. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,225 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I blame Madden football.
  4. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    As I have said many times - Kiffin and Marinelli had a bad scene last year due to a change in scheme defensively and a rash of significant injuries. We had guys that should not have been in the league rotating in or starting on the DL. Let that sink in for a minute. Landry, Lombardi, Noll, etc..... none of those guys would have had success with the MASH unit that we had deployed on D last season. The coaches did the best they could with what they had which was very limited to say the least.

These guys are great coaches and if we can get some DL help this offseason and get a handle on this hamstring situation, this D will be much improved. I guess we have nowhere else to go but up but I would expect significant improvement. Plus these guys will have more experience with the 4-3 scheme.
  5. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,458 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Disagree. Top 10 next year. Kiffin was bad. Very. Health and familiarity with the D will help also.
    Little Jr likes this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,494 Messages
    9,648 Likes Received
    Oh boy. Now we're a talented but injured defense.

Yep. It's February.
    Alexander and dreghorn2 like this.
  7. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,261 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    One good thing is if Marinelli is indeed as good as advertised we won't have to start dreading him leaving for a HC position.
  8. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,261 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    By training camp we will revert back to untalented and healthy.
    Risen Star likes this.
  9. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received

If kiff was bad so was marinelli. I don't see why people can't get it through their head that marinelli had as much say in the d as kiff. If we run out the same riff raff as we did last year the results will be the same.
  10. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,100 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I know.. If it actually worked I would think more "coaches" would do it.
  11. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,469 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Marinelli prefers and attacking cover-2 press scheme. Kiffin runs an almost exclusive cover-2 zone scheme. There is a dramatic difference in mentality and approach between a coach who attacks and a coach who likes to sit back in zones. At the very least, our CBs should be back in their comfort zones as predominately press corners. I like the move and it is obviously the most logical next step.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    I'm generally against the Cowboys signing any older players; however, Tillman would be a great influence on the other players, especially in this scheme. He would help stabilize the secondary while some of the younger players are developing.

He will be 33 this month. I don't know what kind of contract he will get. It would have to be very reasonable for it to make sense for the Cowboys.

Tillman is bigger than Carr and might be the one that would play Safety.
    alicetooljam likes this.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    We ran tons of man coverage last year.
  14. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,197 Messages
    5,428 Likes Received
    Correct. People keep thinking that we ran all zone and use that to beat up Kiffin about. We used everything we could and it did not matter since the pass rush and middle coverages were so terrible.

Marinelli is not going to wave some magical wand and use a Seattle man scheme unless he gets a better rush and a real free safety.
    xvendettax914 and Risen Star like this.
  15. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

840 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    I feel better with Marinelli as DC than Kiffen. I think Coach M got a lot out of what he had to work with on the DL, considering all the injuries and lack of talent. As competent as he is, this team is lacking talent and depth on defense and desperately need to add some effective pieces to make a respectable defense.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,197 Messages
    5,428 Likes Received
    Changing from being able to micromanage the DL to coordinating the entire defense is not exactly the same. He is not going to work miracles on a broad scale.

Will he be an improvement to Kiffin? Well, I think he will take less naps, be a little less about living in the past and might remember what he ate for breakfast this morning. Other than that, he will be doing virtually the same things scheme-wise.
  17. xwalker

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Interesting. That might indicate that he is not looking a big contract and might like the idea of being a part time player and mentor to younger players, especially in Marinelli's scheme.
  18. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,469 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Im simply stating the difference between the two. Yes we ran plenty of man, but very little press coverage until later in the season when we had no pass rush.
  19. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,412 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    The Dline is bad and thin, but until we get this LB core straightened out we will continue to fail. If Carter can turn it around like we've seen him do, Lee can give us 14 games, and Holloman turn into a player we will be pretty good back there. This defense requires that all those three make all the plays.

Lots of big ifs.
  20. xwalker

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    People also fail to realize that the decision to use man or zone coverage affects more than just the CBs. A D-Coordinator has to play the coverage that he believes works the best with all of the back 7 players.