1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Rod Marinelli Best Defensive Coordinator According To Charles Tillman

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jan 31, 2014.

1. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,085 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    I really don't think anyone fails to realize that.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,788 Messages
    3,523 Likes Received
    I guess that it's just a random coincidence that most posts that complain about man vs zone coverage reference only the CBs.
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,505 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    what is he going to do different than old man kiffin? .he needs a good dline to atleast be competitive and not end up last yet again.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,666 Messages
    4,535 Likes Received
    You could see the coverages change as we rotated injured players into and out of the back 7 last season. The Saints game was a good example where we were forced to be sitting ducks with Webb in the lineup and Lee out.
  5. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    B-b-b-but his D is outdated, right?
  6. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Member

872 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I like your dummy photo. That is all.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,895 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    Wouldn't say it happens often but not that unusual.
  8. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

1,522 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    From Charles Tillman mouth, to the field.
  9. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,311 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Thank you!
  10. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

478 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Sure, you cant just move ANY CB to FS, they have to be physical and have great awareness...I guess youre saying Tillman doesnt possess either skill? The reason it doesnt happen often is many of the great CBs have too big an ego to admit theyve lost a step. I can name several that have done it...look around the league. The Patriots starting safeties are BOTH converted CBs...
  11. texbumthelife

3,085 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    I was actually talking about Carr.
  12. texbumthelife

3,085 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    Even when we use man coverage, with Kiffin 90% of the time it is going to be a cover-2 look with two deep safeties. Same as it is when we run tampa-2. The variance for the safeties between those coverages is very minimal. Towards the end of the season when we went to more cover-3 and cover-1/cover-0, then things really changed for the safeties, but by that time the entire defense was limping.

I don't think most posters are lost on the fact the coverage effects the entire defensive backfield. I think it is simply much easier to see the cornerbacks play because our issue was predominately against the short and intermediate, which is the CB's responsibility 9 times out of 10 in the defense we ran last year.

I didn't mean to come across as crass. There has just been a real attitude of "I'm smarter than you" around here lately and your post about people not know how the defensive schemes effect different players, sort of came across that way. Im sure it wasn't your intention.
  13. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,671 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I'm more of an advocate of having Claiborne playing like a guy we picked 6th overall, keeping Carr where he was paid $10 million/ yr to play and finding a legitimate safety to play there whether through the draft or FA.
  14. rwalters31

rwalters31 Member

427 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Bingo, I see where posters here are still looking to bring in old veterans. The team does not need old expensive players but an influx of very good young players who will keep this team in the top 10 teams for a while. This starts and ends with good drafting for needs. The stars on this team except for a few young players who have good careers (except Romo) should all be let go for draft picks. Seattle has the best blue print for how to build a team from scratch including starting in the trenches. Jerry, if you read this you should watch this Super Bowl and finally learn how to build a championship team.

PS
    I agree with the poster here that Marinelli won't have muck to work with. Unless of course he is allow to pick his players (Who and where in the draft).
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,465 Messages
    1,436 Likes Received
    Just watched the tribute video about Tillman on "2014 NFL Honors". I never really had an opinion about him, but after watching this, I realized he is a good man and would be proud to have him come in for certain packages :)

That piece got to me, can't imagine having my little girl face what his had to.
  16. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

816 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    No I can't get that through my head.
  17. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received

Try harder
    Carharris2 likes this.