1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: The Cowboys "Little Board" And A Pre-Draft Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    The Cowboys "Little Board" And A Pre-Draft Mock
    by rabblerousr

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...s-little-board-and-a-pre-draft-mock#storyjump

When I embarked upon a series of posts in which I took a closer look at the players the Cowboys brought to Valley Ranch for interviews, I noted that, in recent years, Dallas has chosen multiple players who have shown up on these rosters. Indeed, in a recent post, O.C.C. noted the strong correlation between the players the Cowboys have invited to the Ranch in recent years and who has ended up wearing the star; other than DeMarcus Ware, for example, every one of Dallas's top selections (i.e., Jason Williams in 2009) since 2005 has been of their Valley Ranch invitees.

Think about it: if we can take last year's leaked draft board as a reliable model, the Cowboys tend to whittle down the 450 or so eligible draftees to 130-150 names that adorn their draft board. If we assume that they are legitimately interested in the 35 to 40 players who have visited the Ranch, therefore, we know about 25% of the players on the Cowboys' board. That's some good information to work with.

In addition, by looking at which positions receive the most invitations, we can get a better idea about which positions the Dallas braintrust is honing in on. In 2008, a total of eight corners and five running backs came to visit--and the Cowboys came away with two of each. In 2009, it was linebackers--Jason Williams was an at-large invitee and Stephen Hodge came for "Dallas Day." How can this knowledge help us get a handle on what to expect from the 2011 draft?...
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    The Cowboys "Little Board" And A Pre-Draft Mock
    by rabblerousr on Apr 27, 2011 4:30 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2011 Draft

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/4/27/2136986/the-cowboys-little-board-and-a-pre-draft-mock
    When I embarked upon a series of posts in which I took a closer look at the players the Cowboys brought to Valley Ranch for interviews, I noted that, in recent years, Dallas has chosen multiple players who have shown up on these rosters. Indeed, in a recent post, O.C.C. noted the strong correlation between the players the Cowboys have invited to the Ranch in recent years and who has ended up wearing the star; other than DeMarcus Ware, for example, every one of Dallas's top selections (i.e., Jason Williams in 2009) since 2005 has been of their Valley Ranch invitees.

Think about it: if we can take last year's leaked draft board as a reliable model, the Cowboys tend to whittle down the 450 or so eligible draftees to 130-150 names that adorn their draft board. If we assume that they are legitimately interested in the 35 to 40 players who have visited the Ranch, therefore, we know about 25% of the players on the Cowboys' board. That's some good information to work with.