1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: The Dallas Cowboys 2011-2017 Salary Cap Health Manifesto Part I: You've Been Lied To

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,620 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    I agree they know the tricks to create cap room, but the way they go about it does not suggest they know what they are doing. It violates the principles of the cap and is somewhat clever in a way. But it is destructive force that can ruin a team if it is recklessly adopted, which it is. It basically puts two strikes on you every offseason.
    khiladi likes this.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    It's a bottom-up erosion. Likely explains why the team has no depth on defense. Don't even have starters at some spots.

You increase prorated portion of the cap and you decrease what's left for base salaries.

Base salaries are where you get depth cause they're most often guys not worthy of large paycheck to prorate.

Instead of quality depth you have bottom tier vets and rookies on minimums.

Part of the reason they keep going after these projects and wishing well players is that they desperately need to hit on one to get the better play they cannot afford.
  3. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Part of proper cap management is knowing, say, that the "going rate" for a free agent starting CB in 2012 is grossly inflated and those resources should be spent elsewhere.
    khiladi and Risen Star like this.
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    anyone could field a 53 man roster and be under the cap.
    khiladi and Risen Star like this.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    The going rate? What did the Rams pay as the going rate for Cortland Finnegan PRIOR to Dallas signing Carr? Um huh, . . . . . . . and Dallas paid how much for Carr? Answer: $100,000 more than the Rams paid for Finnegan.
  6. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Correct.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Hope it turns out as good as last year!
    Risen Star likes this.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Well, as Jerry always prefaces, "In my mind." :D I don't agree with it of course but he does have some weird, warped, maniacal way of doing things. I also agree that his way appears to be "destructive" and "reckless" but that is, or it appears to be, his very nature.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received

Forgot one:

Article will cause a whole lotta butthurt for those not willing to allow for the fact that Jerry maybe can do a thing or two right even tho the results are the same - [IMG]
    Kaiser and Wolf2k5 like this.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Glad you included that 'even tho the results are the same' disclaimer.

Thumbs up!
  11. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,936 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Prior to the Salary Cap...3 Superbowl Championships............After the Salary Cap was instituted...1 Playoff win in what 17 to 18 years.....uuuuhm. I geuss they know what they are doing.... but Al Davis thought the same thing to.
    Common Sense likes this.
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    This article does quite a spin job on the supposed genius that is Jerry and Stephen. Ultimately it's nothing other than spin. Proliferating a condition of constantly being challenged to stay within the cap while not being able to afford sufficient help from the free agent pro ranks is simply damaging. Proper management entails more than simply that, though. Knowledge of evaluating talent is crucial to every general manager. Staying out of cap hell is just as crucial. We suck at both.
    khiladi likes this.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    and the article ignores the fact that the cap both this year and last year were only set at the last moment. Because no one knew until then what all the expenses would be that come off the top. And that will continue for the forseeable future. Yes it will go up but NO ONE knows how much how fast. Try and make a long term expensive contract without knowing how much money you will have three years from now.
    khiladi likes this.
  14. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,620 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    In short, yes, it puts too much pressure on the drafting process that is inexact science to begin with. It also could prompt swinging for the fences in the hopes of getting payoff.
    khiladi likes this.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,163 Messages
    4,346 Likes Received
    Great article. Jones taken a ton a heat for salary cap mismanagement but he always finds a way to be in compliance. One of the few things we do well.
  16. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Where did you see that at? and the Cowboys aren't the only team over the cap every year.
  17. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    lotta people gonna have fun with that one.
  18. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I could care less about their cap management, just because you have a million dollars doesn't mean you pay 300,000 for a Yugo when there is a Mercedes sitting next to it for less. That's my problem with them, not so much how they spend it but what they are spending it on; so yes they still suck at cap management even if they have a plan. Marion Barber is probably still going to his mailbox each week and sending a letter to Jerry saying thank you. As a matter of fact a few playea or ex-players on this team are, and before anyone says all teams have that problem... I don't root for all teams so I don't care what their problems are. I'm a Cowboys fan!
    khiladi likes this.
  19. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,401 Messages
    393 Likes Received

I'm pretty sure that the guy who helped write up the whole agreement has a pretty good idea how it's structured and when the money will hit the coffers. I don't agree with some of Jones' personnel decisions but the notion that he's flailing in the wind as far as the cap goes is wishful thinking by the people that look for every opportunity to bash the guy.
  20. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,294 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    Yet we have to restructure every single season and have so little depth that one injury sends us into a tailspin.

So yes, I am going to say they really do not know what they are doing.

This team has no identity or no direction.
    SWG9 and khiladi like this.