1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: Tony Romo's Slump: Film Don't Lie

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Nov 14, 2013.

1. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    So single-coverage for Williams, behind the teeth of the defense is not the right throw, provided Williams is the main progresson before Dez? I dispute that... If you want to criticize his throw being behind Williams, that's fine and nobody would dispute it, but the fact that he threw to Williams in the context of the play-call, you can't...
    DFWJC likes this.
  2. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,782 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Orton got in the game last year against the bears....and his still riding the bench because even tim tebow beat him out as a better qb!
  3. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,050 Messages
    1,084 Likes Received
    The worst defense in NFL history and all the haters do is hate on Romo. I'll keep Romo and fix the defense rather than the other way around any day.
    5Stars likes this.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,430 Likes Received
    Romo has been far from perfect.
    But yes, it's mind-blowing how deep the hate runs for a player when guys like Aikman, Staubach, Brees, Brady, Belichick, S Payton, and just about anyone else that actually knows the position..say he is very, very good to excellent.
    5Stars and AmberBeer like this.
  5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Like i said, a lot of worlds but youre not really saying anything. It clearly stated in the article and it has been pretty apparent the last two game that Romo isnt seeing the field well. If he misses a wide open to throw to a covered Williams, hes not seeing the field well regardless of progression. He went to the wrong person. Its not the end of the world, betters Qb's have and will do it and so will Romo.

Thats my point about people defending Romo to a fault. He made some bad plays, admit it. When you argue till youre red in the face about the obviously you discredit youre self when criticism is actually not warranted.
  6. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    He won't be. He thinks that he's a football guy too so I don't see him giving up up the gm position.
  7. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I don't think it's just from trying to be conservative. There were a couple of obvious times on Sunday - the 3rd down with Harris open, and another short yardage play with Beasley wide open, where he was forcing the ball downfield into tight coverage instead of taking the sure first down.

I don't know what the cause of it was, but in this game at least, it sure looked like he was locking in on his target. It may be telling that he made the comment post game about there not being time to throw. The line (except for Free) protected him pretty well this game, and it made me wonder if he's hearing footsteps after the last few years of bad blocking and isn't taking time to work through his progressions.
  8. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    It does matter, because progession indicates an issue with play-calling... They got single coverage on Dez and Williams... So why was Romo looking a Williams when they both had single coverage? Does our resident expert think Romo didn't see that formation with Dez on single coverage? Then the guy argues he should have audibled.. Into what play? You audible on a blitz to a hot-read. Is Dez that hot-read?
  9. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Nah, bro, not buying it. Stats dont always tell how well a player is playing. The passes Romo doesnt throw can negatively affect the game just as much as an interception but wont negatively affect Romos numbers. And, like the article suggested, one of the most telling stat of Romos recent games is completion percentage. Romo has been terrible over the last month in the regard. So dont pick and choose the stats that make youre arguments seem legit then happen to leave the one stat out that could disrail it.
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    See, im not going that deep into anything because most of the resident expert have never seen a NFL play book so theyre arent experts. The point of the article is that Romo isnt seeing the field well and keying in on certain receivers. Which is true given his recent play. Whether or not Williams was the 1 on the particular play is irrelevant. Youre missing the point because youre trying to defend Romo one on particular play.
  11. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,897 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Just stop. The line was awful and has been awful for a while now. People are acting like because they had a couple of good games early with Waters against weak front fours that the line is fixed forever or something. With no Waters it is back to being just as bad as last year, except we have a slight center upgrade with a still learning Frederick (who has been much better in the run game than pass). This line is back to being bottom of the barrel and it was stunning watching Brees stand in the pocket with all day in comparison. Just as bad as last year. Again.

I freely admit that on the 3-5 plays per game that they do a halfway decent job, Romo is either bailing on the play or throwing to the first read too much. And yes, it's a disturbing trend.
  12. The Great Number 8

The Great Number 8 Member

255 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What I remember for the all-22 is that on the Dez overthrow, Romo throws the ball a split second before Dez cuts it inside. Dez probably has a TD if Romo throws inside. Might have a TD or at least a pass interference if Dez goes straight up the field. For whatever reason they weren't on the same page and I won't pretend to know their offense well enough to know if Dez was supposed to go straight up the field or break inside based on the coverage.
  13. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    So let's go back to the same article:

So let me get this straight:

You go five wide, the play-calling is suspect, but you get 2 players wide-open and 3 if you actually count Williams? At the same time, he's arguing the play-calling of Romo should take into account Dez Bryant, as if Romo can't see that Dez is single-covered in a 5 WR set?

Further, why is the 5 WR set suspect play-calling when Dallas actually is successful with it and should be employing it WAY MORE?
  14. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    That was simply a bad throw...
  15. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    I can argue all day this guy is picking and choosing as well...

This is wat he says in this latest article, yet he's blaming Romo for not going to Dez right away in sngle-coverage. Additionally, considering the length of our routes, what does he expect Romo to do, other than 'lock onto receivers' before the play develops.
  16. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Dude, Romo played like crap, the offense in general played like crap. Thats on Romo, Callahan and Red... any and everything else is irrelevant.
  17. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Play 4 in the aove article, dumb:

Yeah, Romo wouldn't have started his throwing motion, because it's a TIMING BASED ROUTE... Why would he start his throwing motion to Witten when he already knows how many yards Witten is going to run? I can say, well apparently the man covering Dez sees Dez looking to his right at Witten knowing the ball is going there, which is why he left his man... or how about, Rob Ryan knew tha Dallas had Dez as a DECOY in that play and was going to Witten.. Again, all just nonsensical blame on Romo without knowing the play..

If the defense is telling people that they know what is coming with Garrett and his offenses are a joke, that's what you get...
  18. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    People are acting like these offensive struggles are new to this year and Tony Romo.. they aren't... it's the same exact offense in reality, with a couple more variations off of it... with the same exact struggles..
    pjtoadie likes this.
  19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    You saw something different in the NO game than I did. Free was bad but outside of the last possession of the game, the rest of the line pass blocked well. Romo got a couple of pressures up the middle, one by Learys man and one by Berns man, but otherwise they did well (again, excepting Free). Whatever you think of the line overall, Tony had the best protection on Sunday he's had in several weeks.
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    But,, on the bright side, the defense played great allowing the offense to to not try and play catch up which leads to int's or miscues.

Nice logic...I think I will follow your posts! They are so informative.
    AmberBeer likes this.