1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB:Tracking The Five Sacks Of Cowboys Tony Romo: Who's At Fault?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 6, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    by KD Drummond on Dec 6, 2011 3:00 PM CST in Dallas Cowboys General

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/12/6/2615524/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-sacks-whos-at-fault

You've heard of the five-second rule, right? If it drops on the floor, you have five seconds to retrieve the food before "the dirt sets in"? It's a time-honored edict of childhood. Well, football might have it's own version, the three-second rule. If the quarterback hits the turf in under three seconds, the dirty culprit is his offensive line.

Tony Romo was under siege on several occasions Sunday. He was sacked five times, and pressured relentlessly by the Cardinals pass rush throughout the game. PFF has yet to release their game grades, but I'm sure the Quarterback Disruption numbers will be in the 20+ range. The five takedowns mark the most times Romo has eaten dirt this season, as well as the high mark for the Arizona defense. As Rabble pointed out earlier in the week, the sacks were drive killers for Dallas. We'll look at the details of them after the jump.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,274 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    It is over simplistic to blame only the QB if the line does provide more than 3 seconds of protection. You have to include the players running pass routes. If they aren't open or breaking off routes as needed he may not be able to throw the ball and he has to take a sack. Better a sack than forcing a turnover and drawing an intentional grounding. I did think that a couple of times Romo had room to run for a few yards. Maybe not enough for first downs, but a few positive yards.
  3. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    thats why i posted 2 articles on this, one from cowboys nation and one from bloggingtheboys, 2 different views, one of them put it on costa the center :starspin
  4. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Are we going to go back to the Costa hate now?

Apparently one put the blame elsewhere... wonder where that was. Was it a name we might not want to hear?
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it appears to me Romo is running himself into some sacks lately. I guess I can appreciate the fact he's trying to be careful protecting the ball and not forcing it, but there has been a few times he hasn't pulled the trigger and got himself sacked sitting in the pocket.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,946 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    I think at times he has waited to long hoping his WR would work their way open and it has lead to a sack. It has also lead to some big plays.
  7. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    no, i didnt say i blamed costa, i was trying to say that the writer said costa was at fault alittle in one article. I generally just post articles from web sites.
  8. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    true, but at times, romo has ate the ball, instead of throwing interception or cough it up in a fumble, like i said a few months ago, romo is elite now. :)
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Our horrible offensive line should get the majority of the blame.
  10. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    i personally think its the combination of things
    1. No Fullback flammeatta who is best in the hole
    2. Youth on offensive line
    3. TE Bennett got hurt, as soon as he went out of the game we suffered
    4. No Miles Austin to stretch the field

So, Jason Garrett is limited in what he can do, you have to have the players do be excellent. We are slowly getting the players. When we get Flammeatta back, (suppose to be healed now from inner ear thing), Austin hopefully back from hamstring and no more hamstring issues rest of year or next yr, Jenkins just getting back into shape, allowing us to roll more coverage on newmans side to help him out. Then we can be more explosive on offense, then when we add sean lee on defense after his cast is taken off, then more explosive on defense too. Now, also with felix and dez returning kick offs and punt returns can be more explosive too. Add into ways I think Jason Garrett will use felix and murray together, could be awesome too and seems like mcbrair if finally getting healthy too.

While young offensive line continues to get better too.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,578 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Also consider that the Cards played a coverage that dared the Cowboys to go deep on them. Dallas tried for a while but could not get it done to get them out of the cover 1 stuff they sat in most of the game. When Red panicked and when SHOTGUN, they just blitzed and sat in short zones. No answer from Red other than more SHOTGUN.

Of all the days of over screening teams to death, RED chose not to run screens against a d that was crying for them.

The ability of RED to adjust to what is going on is real sketchy...sometimes he can do it, other times no chance. Very odd and why another seasoned OC would really help.
  12. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    ditto and i think not having an experienced coach up on the booth relaying info down to jason is hurting too. Best I remember coach philips wade's son and john garrett are up in the booth for offense, not sure who is in press box for defense. Why do i say that, in 90s when we were playing eagles, packers in playoffs ernie zampse was out play calling the eagles and packers coaches in the press box. To me you have to have experienced coaches that have seen it all and know at instant what they are seeing and to open things up, just like tom landry would scheme teams. You have to have experience doing this and relaying that to you on the field.
  13. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I knew all those were not on the offensive line. I do think Romo has taken some sacks when guys are not open, and I'll take that over an interception.

When you throw it 42 times, the defense is going to eventually get home and cover your guys up.

I sound like a broken record, but Felix Jones was averaging 6.0 YPC and only rushed it 6 times in the game. I would have challenged the Cardinals to stop him, because Jones put 16-77 (4.8 YPC) on them last year.

If Dallas runs the football in that game, we probably are not talking about all these sacks. 5 rushes in the second half, and Jones got 1, his best of the game.
  14. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,719 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Look at sack five, not sure what he's seeing there. Pic 4 shows a statement that the Fox logo is the closest defender. While true, if you look at pic 3 you see a DB about 4 yards away staring back at the QB. Not sure that would have been a safe throw.

Then the part that not sure he's counting when he writes:

Yes, by that screen capture in pic 3 it looks like Dez is open. Go back to pic one and you count 9 defenders. When you move to pic 2, you can see 2 of those 9 have dropped off screen. So leaves 4 unseen defenders from the TV broadcast. We see Dez at the 34 with a view to the 33. Was there someone at the 32 off screen? Don't know. but I would imagine this is a coverage sack.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,610 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    The 4th sack ticked me off. We started to gain some momentum by having Romo under center and using a nice mix of pass and run. Then on 1st and 10 from the Cardinals' 17...we go to the shotgun. The Cardinals defense *knows* we are going to pass so they go full bore at Romo and get the sack. Had we gone under center, I think the Cardinals defense is a bit more unsure and tentative.

HORRIBLE playcall.

We have GOT TO stop using so much shotgun on 1st and 2nd down when we absolutely do not need to do it.

YR
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,610 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    Yes, but Romo has to learn to throw the ball away. I was pleased with how he protected the football in the game, now he needs to take the next step of throwing it away when there's nothing there.

YR
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,946 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    I agree. He is not just throwing it up for grabs or fumbling the ball. He is doing good in how he is protecting the ball.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    He might be being a bit too cautious though. Some times you have to throw into tight windows, especially when they are blitzing and your guys are running slant routes as looked like the case in a few of those photos. The offensive line is clearly a huge problem but I think Romo has to share in some of the blame.