1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Who'll Play Center For The Cowboys In 2012?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,497 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Cowboys Free Agent Primer: Who'll Play Center For The Cowboys In 2012?
    by One.Cool.Customer

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...mer-wholl-play-center-for-the-cowboys-in-2012

A lot of the recent discussion about the Cowboys O-line has revolved around the guard position, specifically around David DeCastro as one option for the Cowboys' first-round pick in the April draft. What has gotten a little lost in that discussion is that the weakest link in the interior offensive line was arguably the center position.

I love an underdog story as much as the next guy, and it would have been a great story to see undrafted free agent Phil Costa succeed as a starter for the Cowboys. And as much as I hope for that story to still come true, the chances of that happening are the source of much contentious debate.

Traditionally, the Cowboys have not shied away from improving their O-line via free agency, so that may very well be an option for the Center position next year as well, particularly as free agency promises a bumper crop of free agent centers: Five of the top six centers as graded by Pro Football Focus are entering free agency this year...
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Interesting tidbit buried in there, that Costa went from being -10 in the ranking numbers for the first half of the season to +0.3 in the second half of the season. According to whatever stats magik they use, he got better.

Buncha old farts in center FA this year. Not sure how many of them would be worth more than a one or two year prove-it contract.
  3. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Old farts may work well for us if we're still unsure about Costa (as opposed to down on him) and want to see how he might develop, given another year or two.
  4. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,499 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I'm okay with "old farts" in key backup positions but I'm afraid Garrett might be totally committed to the youth movement and will try and upgrade the roster through the draft rather than FA. That is, if Jerry will let him.
  5. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,399 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    after we select DeCastro in the 1st Round to see if we go Center in the 2nd or 3rd Round :)
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,497 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Just a reminder, in phase two of the Dynasty offensive line, a waived 13 year veteran with the Colts, Ray Donaldson, became an anchor at center for Dallas. So old farts in the offensive line, often do have a utility potential as well. If waived, they come cheaper. If just free agents, let the buyer beware, as turbulent rides may ensue.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    You know Nick Hardwick might be a guy that we could pick up reasonably in FA. He's a pretty decent Center. There are a lot of decent Centers this year in FA.

McClure
    Birk
    Wells
    Saturday
    Myers
    Kruetz
    Wiegmann
    Koppen
    Gurode

Some of these guys have been in the league for awhile but they can all play.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,424 Messages
    113 Likes Received

yep, I want my center to be able to snap the ball correctly. Even later in the year he had terrible shot gun snaps. The last game, Romo was having to catch snaps with a swollen hand that were all over the place. That is ridiculous to not even be able to trust your center to snap the ball in a small window to make it easier for your QB. Most teams don't have this issue, for whatever reason we get rid of Gurode, and Costa is just as bad if not worse at snapping lol.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    their claim that costa got better sure did not look like it in either the eagle games or the last giant game. And if he did make it to -.03
    guess what? THat still made him the 21st center in the NFL.

anyone with a brain ever think he could possibly be good? getting to Mediocre would be a great accomplishment for him
  11. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,177 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    That last guy might not be a bad fit. :D
  12. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Bingo
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,775 Messages
    1,197 Likes Received
    I'd be all over Jeff Saturday if he can be had at a decent price.

Smith - DeCastro - Saturday - Nicks - Free

mmmmm
  14. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Going from 31 to 21 is actually a huge leap. I knew he had shown improvement, but that is actually pretty impressive- no matter how much some here may not like hearing it.

Good for Costa.

And if the Cowboys see that type of improvement as well, any here who have visions of us pulling the rug out from under the kid, and tossing him aside, will likely be disappointed.

Garret will not be eager to make a change if he is moving up the rankings that quickly. He will "suffer" another season, especially if the suffering starts at #21 and gets better from there. Stacking those steady improvements right atop one another, getting better each week, working hard every week, pushing through.... a true "Garrett Guy?" ;)
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    you got to be dreaming if you think he can get all that much better. Really. And clearly you have not bothered to watch the last few games where he got owned regularly

And guess what; we cannot afford to have Romo subjected to more abuse as he has been
  16. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,219 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    With a new OL coach we'll have a fresh pair of eyes on the situation. Maybe he'll see hope in the young kids we have.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,141 Messages
    1,887 Likes Received
    Anyone

But

Costa

ABC.
  18. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,871 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    As I recall, Ray Donaldson was an "old fart" when he arrived in Dallas. He did pretty well for the time we had him. Maybe it's a matter of finding the right "old fart" to work with the young guys.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    That's funny. Reminds me of when Quincy was here. Back in the day, the hatred for Quincy Carter was almost political in nature. Because my user name is ABQ, people just automatically thought that I was trying to say

Anybody

But

Quincy.

Of course, that was not true, I happened to live in Albuquerque which if you have ever flown in here is ABQ. Anyhow, thought I would never live that one down.

:laugh2:
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah it is easier to get away with older guys on the OL, cause it takes them a while to develop. Our second best OL last year was Holland, pretty sad but true.

Would much rather go with an old fart on the OL, than an old fart at CB. The youth movement on the OL sounds cool, but the D is actually the one that needs the youth movement.