1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bubble players and 53 man roster projection

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Aug 20, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,588 Messages
    6,450 Likes Received
    QB:
    Romo
    Orton

Bubble: Tanney
    I think Tanney goes to the PS.

RB:
    Murray
    Dunbar
    Randle

Bubble: Tanner
    I think they keep 4.

WR:
    Dez
    Austin
    Williams
    Harris

Bubble: Beasley and Armstong
    They might have to only keep 3 TE(s) if they keep 6 WRs. It will be difficult to have Beasley active as the 5th WR on a team that wants to feature the 2 TE set if he can’t play Special Teams.

TE:
    Witten
    Hanna
    Escobar

Bubble: Rosario
    I don’t see the point of keeping Rosario. He is not that good of a blocker or receiver. They can keep Andre Smith on the practice squad and he is a better on-the-line blocker than Rosario.

OL:
    Smith
    Free
    Parnell

Frederick
    Costa

Leary
    Bernadeau
    Arkin

Bubble: Livings, Kowalski, Bell, Dominguez, Coughman, Weems
    I don’t think Parnell is on the bubble. Livings probably stays because his contract appears to be guaranteed. If they keep 10, it could be anybody. Most likey Bell.

DL:
    Ratliff
    Hatcher
    Hayden
    Bass

Ware
    Spencer
    Wilber

Bubble: Selvie, Lissemore, Cohen
    Lissemore probably stays because he has some guaranteed money, but has been outplayed by Hayden and Bass. I’m not sure if Selvie makes it if he can’t play the strong side and doesn’t improve against the run. Bass could be the 4th DE. Cohen has been impressive, IMO. I like Thaddeus Gibson for the PS if eligile or even as a longshot to get the final DE spot over Selvie.

LB:
    Lee
    Carter
    Durant
    Sims
    Holloman

Bubble: Magee, McSurdy
    Who is the backup MLB? Magee and McSurdy have been the primary backup there. Durant also played some snaps at MLB in one game.

CB:
    Claiborne
    Carr
    Scandrick
    Moore
    Webb

Bubble: None.
    Webb stays but is probably inactive for most or all games.

Safety:
    Church
    Allen
    Wilcox

Bubble: Johnson, McCray, Frampton, Hamilton, Heath
    There is a low probability that Johnson gets cut, but it could happen. The 5th spot is up in the air. Frampton is an equal Special Teams player to McCray and his salary is about half of McCray’s. Heath and Hamilton probably go to the PS.

There are 5 spots available for the following 8 positions:

3rd QB
    4th TE
    4th RB
    6th WR
    10th OL
    9th DL
    7th LB
    5th Safety

I'm going to cut the 3rd QB, 4th TE and 7th LB.

PS:
    QB Tanney
    TE A. Smith
    LB McSurdy
    S Heath
    S Hamilton
    DE Gibson
    OG/OT Coughman
    OT Weems

I should put some WRs on the PS, but I didn't.
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,787 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    Garrett had some glowing things to say about Rosario at his press conference today, so I would be surprised to not see him on the 53.
    AmishCowboy likes this.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,729 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    I like rosario over escobar but we just got him so he wont be cut. Also id cut our losses and release matt johnson. Lissemore will be here i think also. Hes pretty good. Looks like a good projection to me.
  4. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

3,338 Messages
    3,492 Likes Received
    They gotta go w 4 TEs if they're planning on using the Te offensive sets as much as it seems
    AmishCowboy and CowboyStar88 like this.
  5. xwalker

14,588 Messages
    6,450 Likes Received
    Yes, I expected most to disagree with that choice.
  6. Staubacher

3,338 Messages
    3,492 Likes Received
    Garrett sounded pretty shaky about Johnson. I think unless he comes back and can play well and healthy in the final preseason game he is gone
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,601 Messages
    953 Likes Received
    No 3rd QB
    No 5th safety
    And either no 6th WR or no 7th LB

That's easy. Everyone else is on the team
  8. xwalker

14,588 Messages
    6,450 Likes Received
    I don't see them running the 2 TE set if Witten gets injured; therefore, both Hanna and Escobar would have to be injured for them to really need the 4th TE.
  9. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,203 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    But would you choose Rosario or Smith? We have 3 capable pass catching TE's we could use a blocker like Smith
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,781 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Rosario is a core special teamer, so I expect him to stay. Costa plays center only, so I would think that Kowalski has a leg up on him because he can play guard and center. With Ratliffe's being forever injured, the're going to have to carry more DL. Johnson and Frampton both make it. McCray gets cut.
  11. CowboyStar88

5,203 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    But the 12 package is the base offense no? So wouldn't it be wise to keep 4 TE's what about a heavy goal line set? With Smith playing the HB role? I just don't see Beasley value to the team. You need that 5th guy to do other things on game day. Plus I don't seem a ton of 5 wide sets. Most likey it would be 4 wide with Witten on the field.
  12. DominantD

DominantD Member

51 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Great analysis! I think we'll keep 4 Tight Ends, but the 4th TE will be a blocking TE who is a late cut from another team.
  13. xwalker

14,588 Messages
    6,450 Likes Received
    The plan is for the base to be 2 TEs, 1 RB and 2 WRs (12 package).

If Witten were injured, they would use more 1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WR sets (11 package). I don't foresee much 4 or 5 WR sets.

TE Andre Smith is the only TE that I have not seen lineup in the backfield as a "move TE" similar to a FB. Witten, Hanna and Rosario can play that position and Escobar played it some in the last game.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,742 Messages
    6,358 Likes Received
    I agree with Heath and Hamilton to the PS. I, like you, am still not sold on Selvie making this team.

Those tight ends scare me with how much B.C. likes to run outside.
  15. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,470 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    If we want more beef don't we bring in our 3rd OT?
  16. Staubacher

3,338 Messages
    3,492 Likes Received
    I honestly don't know much about Smith. Rosario sure whiffed on a screen block last game
  17. CowboyStar88

5,203 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    From what I recall during the scrimmage and some other posters observing camp most came away thinking he was a good blocker and were impressed that a man his size moved the way he did. He is an intriguing prospect. I just think we have 3 TE who can catch the ball we need a BONAFIED blocker IMO
  18. xwalker

14,588 Messages
    6,450 Likes Received
    Smith or Rosario?
  19. zekecowboy

zekecowboy Member

65 Messages
    3 Likes Received

No 5th safety
    No 6th WR
    And no 7th LB
    I think Tanney plays well in last 2 preseason games and he becomes 53rd player.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,980 Messages
    4,952 Likes Received
    We ran a 14 as well as the 13 some so I see no way to not carry 4 TEs. Also without a FB you need an F back. Right now Rosario and Hanna are the only F backs we have although I don't know the other TEs in camp well.