1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bunting: Corners Comprise the Core of This Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 16, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,381 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Part III of this week's chat with the National Football Post's draft analyst Wes Bunting covers the cornerbacks, a group Wes rates among the best in this year's draft class.

Cowboys Nation: I want to discuss South Carolina's corner Stephon Gilmore. He's 13th on your board. I've seen a split of opinion on him from the draftniks. He's late 1st on some boards. He's early 2nd on others. I've also seen him high 1st. What accounts for this?

Wes Bunting: Nobody has really seen him. He was a 5-star prospect who made a lot of plays but also gave up a lot of plays as a sophomore. He's raw with his footwork, but he's one of the few big corners in the draft who can turn and run, who will tackle, and he's got the skills to be a really good cover man. He played mostly zone and press-bail.

Physically, he can play press, but he was rarely asked to do it. Mostly you're looking at him as a zone corner right now. I think most teams are looking at Kirkpatrick the same way early in his career, unless you play press-man all the time, because Kirkpatrick does have experience there.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/01/bunting-corners-comprise-core-of-this.html
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,056 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    A draft who's strength is the corner position.

Brings a tear to the eye...

Huh Risen? :D
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,146 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    the elite isn't deep but the very good is, which means by the time the draft comes around those CBs now ranked 2nd rounders will jump into the bottom of the 1st.
  4. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Guess we are lucky for once that 2 of the positions of need for us are deep in the draft, guard and CB.
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,789 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Let's hope Skeletor doesn't find a way to pick coal out of a draft full of gems.
  6. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,386 Messages
    90 Likes Received

I expect us to do really well in rounds 2-4.

That seems to be our most successful area.