1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bunting rumors post combine good stuff

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 6, 2011.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    The Newton stuff is not good for those who want Peterson to fall

• Following the Combine, the word I received from a number of scouts is that because of his workout, Alabama’s Julio Jones now likely will be the number one overall wideout off the board over Georgia’s A.J. Green.

• Also following the wide receiver workout a lot of scouts I spoke with were really down on San Diego State’s Vincent Brown, stating that his 4.70 40-time could push him down into the later round range.

• One guy who a lot of scouts are down on is South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders. After showing up a little soft at 270 pounds, a broken bone discovered in his foot during the medical caused him to be unable to workout. After speaking with a couple scouts about him afterward, I was getting the impression he’s not going to be on many teams’ draft boards after this.

• Hearing that if one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the draft were to fall to the Ravens at the end of round one, there would definitely be a lot of interest.

• The more sources I talk with the more I get the feeling that the Patriots will not only be in the market for a rush linebacker in round one, but might be willing to buck the trend and look at a smaller/quicker rush guy, staying away from their more patented bigger build.

• Even with the rise of Alabama DT Marcell Dareus, all the scouts I have talked with still think Auburn DT Nick Fairley is the better NFL prospect.

• Talked to a couple of sources who said they have UCLA FS Rahim Moore graded out as nothing higher than a 3rd-round pick.

• The more scouts I discuss Auburn QB Cam Newton with the more they are afraid of not only his off the field character, but the overall posse he could ultimately end up coming into the league with. They raised the concern of just how committed to football he will be and who in his camp could ultimately keep him distracted from developing.

• There is no denying the talents of Colorado CB Jimmy Smith. However, there is a growing concern from scouts I’ve talked with about his character, which they said could cause him to fall a little further on draft day than most presume.

• Finally, I came out of the Combine hearing differing opinions on Pittsburgh WR Jon Baldwin. Some thought he made himself some money with his workout, others thought he was a bit of a disappointment. I really haven’t gathered a legit consensus on the guy, but in my mind he’s an extremely gifted athlete who can make plays down the field. The key is keeping him hungry and motivated.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure how anyone could be disappointed with the combine Jonathen Baldwin put together.

Would love to see Jimmy Smith fall to our pick in round 2.
  3. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,162 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    If we don't go Prince or Amakumara in round one this would be a dream scenario. He won't tackle anything but the guy might have the best pure cover talent in the draft.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    This is the second time in the last couple days I have read Smith was a bad guy. The last time they picked a guy like that I believe his name was Mike Jenkins, who hopefully will have his career saved by Ryan because we all know Campo cant. Point being not sure I want two of those guys on the roster.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    This is about the time the charactor concerns start to count. People get off their high about watching the combine and start going over the details of each prospect. The reports start coming in from the background checks.
  6. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received

Yea I mean, this guy could be a low impact player. An above average starter but nothing special. I definitely do not want him in the 2nd. I said a few months ago and its surprisingly starting to stick, that I dont like any safety in this draft better than AOA. Except Deunta.

But wait, I thought AJ Green was on another planet than Dez Bryant?
  7. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,557 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That's what R2A told me!
  8. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    would not care for that IMO
  9. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,406 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    This safety class is awful.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,485 Messages
    1,710 Likes Received
    Pretty sure you meant Peterson or Prince.
  11. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    Yes, it is.

Other than Deunta Williams, there's no one that I'd like the Cowboys to pursue, and even he's a question mark coming off of an injury.
  12. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If he doesn't tackle Ryan won't have him.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,851 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    I like the idea of giving AOA a chance, I was very excited when we drafted him but knew he wouldn't do much his rookie year, injuries certainly didn't help.

But, I wonder if there really is something there. Maybe while we fans are looking at FS's, the team is looking SS in the draft... but the SS options aren't really all that great either.

Perhaps Quinton Carter, if we want to take another Sooner SS.
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Newton stuff does not surprise me at all.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,485 Messages
    1,710 Likes Received
    I like Rahim Moore as well.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,451 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    He isn't on another planet from Dez, but he is better then Julio. Much better actually.

Drafting Julio Jones over AJ green will be like 09 when Oakland took Heyward Bey(speed and size are comparable,along with production) over Crabtree and Maclin.

I'm sorry, but the combine hype has people going crazy. Julio may be a decent pro but AJ is going to be much better.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Horrible comparison. Julio Jones, 4.39 speed or not, is nothing like Heyward-Bey.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Not saying which one will be the better pro, but you cant say Jones didnt play big at Bama. The Heyward-Bey analogy is ludicris IMO, he was more athlete than football player. I think if he stays healthy Julio Jones will perform just fine in the NFL.
  19. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received

When I mention that none of these guys are better than AOA, Im not playing the "We have AOA, we are all set" card. We should assume that both AOA and Sam Young are nothing until proven otherwise.

I think theyd love to get Huff and have Deunta or Carter(and maybe another guy that hasnt been brought up much) and not have to pay Sensabaugh.

Disagree. Hes not hype. The lowest he was ever being discussed was 14. Now people are saying he could go top 10 after a freakish show of athleticism. You have to factor elite numbers like that in when you are talking about an already impressive prospect.

The media loves to talk about Vernon Gholston and DHB. But what about Vernon Davis, Bob Sanders, and Chris Johnson? When a guy combines good tape w/ good numbers it means something.
  20. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    but I like this kid - as my sleeper pick

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2010-11/bios/lainhart_brian

Brian Lainhart S Kent State 6-1 #210 - Career Lainhart’s 17 career interceptions rank second in school history (two shy of Lou Harris’ record) and are the most among active BCS players Contributed to 20 turnovers in a 30 game span (15 interceptions & five fumbles; also causing two other fumbles that were recovered by the opposition) Totaled 344 career tackles