1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bush adviser: Military draft worth considering

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Bush adviser: Military draft worth considering

Lute says Bush has made clear he doesn’t think draft is necessary

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20219330/

Aug 10, 2007

WASHINGTON - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

"The president's position is that the all volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. General Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Still, he said the repeated deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

Draft history
    The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re-established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,310 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    If the US plans on keeping troops deployed globally as we have done for the past 60 years (Korea, Japan, Europe, Guatanamo, Persian Gulf/Iraq, etc.), then yes, of course it is worth considering. I don't question that a military advisor would recognize that, in what they term 'national security,' a draft should be considered. If the machine continues to run the way it does, then you won't have enough volunteers left.

The other option, however, and the one that I feel has more benefit, is to a) lose the paranoia and the idea that national security is attained by deploying more and more forces worldwide and b) bring some troops home - if not from Iraq, from other places. We have deployed ourselves thin since WW2.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,994 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    IMNHO There is no way this happens. Just fear tactics for the upcoming election.
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    all of the above :)
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    bush is clear - no draft.

"bush advisor" - consider it.

notice we still get to rag on bush for this.

gets old.
  6. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

The draft bears consideration; for the reasons stated above: we're deployed all over the world, we don't have any volunteers left, and when we're a war machine, under Bush's guidance. It just seems like it might be relevant; given that there is an issue of personnel in our military.

If no draft, then certainly we need to make some tactical moves to make more troops available.

I'm not advocating the draft, in the least. I'm just saying that at the rate we're going, it's not a nonsense issue; and it does have some to do with Bush.
  7. iceberg

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    not quite my point but i did drift some - my bad.

my point was we don't name the advisor, we say "bush advisor" so people can think bush is considering it. however, the article is clear "bush says NO" so i'm not sure what my overall problem is.

as for the draft, i'd be against it for now. the "Bush war machine" isn't long for the world and if he's gonna do anything he'd better get it done quick with what, a year in effective office? whether or not we really need a draft will depend on what the next admin wishes to do - and "we the people" say pull out of iraq so i'm sure that's to be considered and scaled back just to satisfy "we the people".

if we do a draft *now* i could see bush going into iran but why? he's got no real reason to, so i'd rather see us pull out, come home, and take care of business here at home for a change.
  8. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It names him.

"President Bush's new war adviser said Friday."

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."
  9. iceberg

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    i meant in the quote - where most people quit reading.

like me. : )
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Not me...As soon as I see...Draft worth considering and then it came from a Bush advisor...I'm just a little bit curious as to who would say it...as I would think most people would be.

Except you.:D
  11. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And in other news.....The RNC's "Impeachment Advisor" is working overtime....
  12. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They're considering bringing back the draft like I'm considering seeing Daddy Day Camp.

Either way, it's not happening.
  13. iceberg

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    i probably should have - just too much going on and these days i've been known to fall asleep at the keyboard.
  14. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I agree. It isn't happening.

I think the general public feels a greater stake in (and concern about) military action when the military contains a significant number of randomly selected (i.e. drafted) soldiers. The public cares about volunteers, of course, but when the government forces non-volunteers to risk their lives, it results in more scrutiny, dissent and an overall more emotionally volatile situation. Basically, the draft raises the stakes for politicians as they consider military action. A less adventurous attitude on the part of politicians about military action might not be such a bad thing.
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well when Bush's personally picked War Adviser Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute says we should consider a Draft...Maybe there's something to it.

After all Bush himself said we should listen to the military advisers/commanders.

Unless of course they don't agree with him.
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    He also said that anyone in the White House were responsible for leaks would be punished.

This man has no credibility. Too bad, I was seriously hoping that he would bring some respectability back to the office after the Clinton years, even though I don't subscribe to his ideology.

Oh well, it won't be the last time that an elected official lies and disappoints.
  17. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Really?;)
  18. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with that. Re-instituting the draft would definitely result in a less hawkish, more calculating foreign policy (at least those including military options).
  19. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,994 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    There will never be another draft in this country with the current form of government.

This is only being talked about because there is an election next year.

"don't vote for the scary Republicans because they will send your sons to die in a war"

Just like for years its been

"don't vote for the scary Democrats or they will let terrorist kill your kids"

:rolleyes: same old tired political bullcrap.
  20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,310 Messages
    664 Likes Received

Luckily, I am immune. I have no kids.:D