1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bush signs bill geared to toughen screening of gun buyers

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by StevenOtero, Jan 9, 2008.

1. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    Bush Signs Veterans Disarmament Act

Source: LA Times

WASHINGTON -- A rare piece of gun legislation finds the National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence on the same side, and President Bush signed such a bill Tuesday.

The measure, Congress' response to last year's Virginia Tech shootings, is the first significant federal legislation in years aimed at tightening gun laws. It seeks to expand the federal database used to screen gun buyers to include the estimated 2 million-plus people, including felons and mentally ill individuals, who are ineligible to buy firearms.

FULL ARTICLE
  2. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    Damn, I really didn't think he was going to sign it. What a shot in the head to our 2nd amendment.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    I have no problem with screening...it is more of a problem of people actually enforcing the laws, new or existing.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    That was a huge loophole in the screening process. And I have to laugh at the libs who are crying about people getting treatment and getting their right to own a gun back. IF it was ANYTHING but weapons they would cheer someone being treated and coming back. BUT as usual their hypocrisy comes out.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Are you serious?

We should not even screen for gun purchases?
    Just let folks walk right out of mental hospitals or jails and head over to buy a weapon?

I really hope you are not that daft.
  6. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I for one am in favor of more mentally ill people with handguns. Let us not discriminate.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Interesting how the libs are always defending the rights of the mentally ill. Untill now.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    lol.

I think we should hand out weapons at birth.
    Every pre-school class should have one hour of target practice.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,923 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    When this type of screening was first talked about, there were many different groups opposed to it. The NRA and ACLU both fought against it. I had not kept tabs on the story, so I am surprised the NRA changed their stance.

Which libs are you referring, too? Does the Brady bunch represent all liberals?

I don't think people who are currently unstable or mentally ill should be sold guns. Anyone who is receiving treatment and can be viewed as a danger to themselves and others probably should not be in possession of weapons. Seems straight forward.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,286 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    Sometimes you worry me...no really.

The strength of your one sided nature is like a terrible disturbance in the force. :laugh2:
  11. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I agree whole heartily with this and I've been shooting guns since I was five and have at least half a dozen in my home. To me it's not a question of limiting people's rights to own arms, it's a matter of common sense.
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Does no one have a problem with a huge government database of people classified as 'Mentally Ill'? Will this be as easy to get off of as the 'no fly' list? Do you think anyone will get put on this list for minor issues, or as payback? People who do not trust the government to do squat should be a little worried about a massive database that still carries such a negative connatation. Who do you consider competant to make this decision?

Practically, you don't want crazed loonies running around with high calibre armament. But also, I am suspicious of big government databases of American citizens. If it can be abused, it will be.....

Has anyone actually done much reading on how this thing will work?
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Wow ..... talk about false titles to a thread.

This title should be changed immediately.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    I found it a bit misleading as well.
  15. joseephuss

21,923 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    Of course there is a concern with some abusing the system. We see it all the time no matter the laws or rules.

The individuals' physician is the one that should be held responsible for putting anyone on this type of list. And also removing them from the list if they feel they have overcome or at least are in control of their mental illness.
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yeah but that's no comfort either.
    Physicians are just as susceptible to influence or bullying.
  17. joseephuss

21,923 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    But it was easier than typing "The School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvements Act, which was authored by Senator Patrick Leahy and includes Senator Schumer’s language to strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)."
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Unfortunately not everyone has common sense
  19. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received

Yep. I specifically mentioned the no fly list, because it is extremely difficult to get off, people get put on it without their knowledge, and get put on it essentially as retribution.

The intent of the bill, to keep guns out of the hands of violent, crazed individuals, is certainly good. But laws passed after highly publisized hot button events are a prime way for bad law to get enacted. After the San Diego forest fires of a few years ago, a bill to 'help' out contained all sorts of sweet heart deals for the logging industry. Legislators either didn't notice, or didn't want to appear to be laggard about an important topic, and passed it anyway.

Now this idea has been around for awhile, so hopefully it has been worked through, set up carefully, and is not more OHMIGOD! crisis management. I haven't found the bill analysis yet, so I can't say.

Putting up barriers for people trying to get help for mental problems carries its own risks.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

61,286 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    Changed it to the actual article title from the link.