1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Buying Romo some time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's obvious to everyone (except Jerry) that the oline can't give Romo the time he needs.

Would creating a rolling pocket get him some more time occasionally and give the WRs time to get vertical more and thus some more down field plays? Seems when we can get the time to get the guys down field we get big plays.
  2. DallasInDC

DallasInDC Active Member

1,849 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I have often wondered why we do not have more designed roll outs.
  3. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah the offensive playcalling absolutely needs to get better to fit this team. The goalline stance is something not used to seeing. The defensive playcalling seems to get better except the lack of pass rush which may be on the players.
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    2nd half we started going to more slants & hitch routes.. So many times when Romo has to eat a sack, you see the replay and every receiver is running vertical with their back to Romo when he is about to get hit.. Gotta get the ball out to the RB more in the flat & I liked how Harris played today coming back to get the ball with the hitch route.. Keep the defense on their toes with draws/screens, haven't seen us run a screen in a long time.. Not sure if it's b/c the o-line doesn't know how to set up a screen or what but you would think they would throw in stuff like that to confuse the defense and keep them on their toes.
  5. Garland powerplay

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Cleveland looked better than a 2 win team. They will prolly be really good next year and beyond.
  6. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i don't know about a rolling pocket its just me i hate them.....i just rather see a hurry up offense

it protects the line, the line isn't so bad that they can't block their guy for 2 seconds
  7. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,520 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    What does it say about Romo.......gets sacked 7 times: and can still pull out a win, doesnt happen too often in the NFL
  8. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Why didn't they go shotgun formation all the way?

When the OL was obviously that bad I thought one of the best thing to do is lineup in shotgun formation. That way Romo can see the field better, anticipate the rush, and earn a second or more with few more yards before they reached him ...

:cool:
  9. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,879 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    JG shortened the routes and had more crossing routs and slants after he adjusted. That's what's working. Take what they give you all day.
    And play catch with Witten till they stop it.
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, I wished they would run the hurry up more often myself. But that's not in Garrett's make up. So I think this would be the next best option.
  11. Garland powerplay

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah @ least implement into three or fewer plays a game to give defense something to think about. Offense starts clicking like last year the way defense is playing lookout !
    The element of surprise fits this offense.
  12. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,739 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Having WR's running complex routes is a necessity for this offense to succeed. We just need to have a quick checkdown option that isn't standing behind an offensive and defensive line and being smothered by an opposing LB. Need to get Felix/Murray/Dunbar/et al to help block then slide out and just turn around and be ready for the ball.
  13. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,125 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I've been always been an advocate of using Romo's mobility. Look back to the days when we were an offensive juggernaut. We used a lot of roll outs, bootlegs and play action. Somehow, Garrett has removed all that in favor of long developing plays that has Romo stay in the pocket.

They need to take advantage of Romo's mobility. So far, Garrett has failed miserably and is the main reason why we are struggling offensively.
  14. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to give Red credit he made good half time adjustments for once.
  15. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,689 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    Remember the 2009 Cardinals who won the NFC? They had a porous offensive line, an immobile quarterback, and no significant running game. Yet, their quarter had a strong arm with a quick release, and their receivers were big and physical receivers and they could run after the catch.

As I recall, their offense relied on quick developing pass plays and the athletic ability of their receivers. Granted, the Cowboys don't have Larry Fitzgerald, but I see no reason why the Cowboys couldn't employ a similar strategy and see similar results.
  16. Garland powerplay

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This must have been tried in practice. They may not have the personnel on offensive line for rollouts. The line will need great play from the skill positions to win on Thanksgiving.