1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

C Frederick makes PFF All-Rookie team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Phoenix, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,491 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    No real surprise but happy to see it

Center: Travis Frederick, DAL(+13.2)

Many laughed at the Cowboys for this pick but, as so many times happens, it may have been best if the pundits had waited until he’s at least played an NFL game before denigrating the selection. It’s true that on occasion his pass blocking was lacking but as a run blocker he was fantastic and ended the year our top-rated center in that regard.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/08/2013-pff-all-rookie-team/
    Kaiser and Duane like this.
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    yea, aside from this, he is a pick i was high on and he proved it time and time again. Im just glad real fans opened their eyes to him even if they wanted a defensive guy taken, WHICH wouldnt be a bad pick either, i cant say why i wanted Fredricks, but im glad we got him.
    Blast From The Past likes this.
  3. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,150 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I was upset about him being drafted early but he played well. I'm eating crow. The future looks bright with Smith and Frederick on the oline. Dallas still needs two more pieces (G and RT) to the oline.
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,506 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Phillip Rivers and the Chargers are still making a SB run for one reason, Oline...well 6 reasons, with Depth.

Big young players like Frederick and Tyron finally boosted San Diego over that same Norv Turner/LT speed bump.

Taking another OL early would be in the best interest of winning football.
    theogt likes this.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    The more I think about it, the more I think I could get behind taking one of those tackles or whoever in the first round. I still hate Free, even if he was better this year, and if you could have your tackles and center set for a decade, it'd be hard to argue against that pick.

This team needs help in the defensive front 7, no doubt about it, but its not like our offense was incredibily dynamic and explosive last year.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,156 Messages
    1,932 Likes Received
    Would have loved to see either Kenny Vaccaro or Eric Reid somehow drafted by the Cowboys.
  7. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    while i agree with this, i dont think we can split the lines in each draft, so id still take another Oline man early and see if we can fix the defense through coaching and FA, if possible.
  8. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,450 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    Our first priorities this year should rightfully be the DE and DT positions, which are in far more desperate need of help. The LG and RT positions might be next in line, along with help at the FS and OLB spots. Our needs are many.
  9. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Get 'em, Jerry!
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    For those who wanted to know, he was rated the 7th best Center in the league this year by PFF.

And as they mentioned, the best run blocking center in the league.
  11. whateverman

whateverman The Debacler

78 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    If only the skill players in last years draft werent so terrible...image we could have gotten sheldon richardson/star lotuleilei/john cooper/kenny vaccaro in the first and fredrick in the second...
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Good for Fredbeard. Loved the pick on draft day. Hope he stays healthy another 13-14 years.
    casmith07 likes this.
  13. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    Was the offense one of the worst the NFL had ever seen, compared to the defense? No.
  14. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,506 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Without Romo....yes.

Alas the incomplete OL couldn't protect the 108 Million Dollar Man or Dallas might have made it to the Tourna...PLAYOFFS, it's called the Playoffs. (efn!@#$%^ used carpet salesman.)
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Yea, and?
  16. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

716 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Inconceivable we could have had Warford too.
    Duane and DFWJC like this.
  17. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,293 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    I am not that upset there is no way anyone would have thought we would have run completely through the depth on the front 7, the front office hedged their bet here. It was known the the center of the OL was horrible. It was good pick.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Loved Carolina's draft.

And our trade down worked out just fine.
  19. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    IMO the safety play was far worse than the DT position,we desperately need a capable center fielder.
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    lol, who was his competition?