1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

C.I.A. Sought Blackwater’s Help to Kill Jihadists

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by SuspectCorner, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quoted before the edit.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    I prefer mercs going into harms way over our soldiers. You're damned right.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I'm right there with ya.

In fact, I thought killing off Al-Qaeda was a large part of the goal in this war on terror.
  4. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nonsense.
    If you were sincere you would be yelling from mountain tops why is this current adminitration trying to pass a 1000+ page bill and adding 300 pages worth of amendments at 3am...all without reading it.
  5. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Please, expand on this, as I can't make any sense out of it.
  6. Hostile

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    I would rather our country (meaning the CIA) send mercenaries after someone than our own soldiers be sent.

I just don't think it's a shocking revelation that we've tried to hire someone to take out someone deemed a threat. Like I said, ever heard of Fidel Castro? What about Pancho Villa?

It's not the greatest way to do business but why the need for mock shock as if Cheney is revolutionizing this? Comes across as very narrow minded. Mercs have existed on government contracts for a lot longer than the Bush administration and will exist during Obama too.

Like I said, it's mock shock.
  7. CowboyWay

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    There's no mock shock. I just want to hear why you prefer it to using our troops? That was the question I asked, and you still haven't answered it. I'm all to familiar with Fidel Castro, but again, that doesn't explain why you prefer it.
  8. Hostile

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    It seems obvious to me that I prefer our troops not be in harm's way. If some Mercs die in the operation it's no skin off my nose. How is that not clear?
  9. CowboyWay

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Maybe its obvious to you, but I doubt most people share that opinion, because, quite frankly, its ridiculous.

Blackwater mercs are nothing more than retired SEALS. Do you realize the millions of dollars a year we spend on training SEALS? What they do with their time once they go into the private sector is up to them, but why do the taxpayers have to pay the millions of dollars a year to train them, AND THEN pay Blackwater for these contracts? You realize that these blackwater mercs make 6 figures per year right? You and I are flipping the bill for that, when we have the very same people ready to roll in the SEALS. It makes no sense.

As for "some merc dies in operation, its no skin off my nose" is ridiculous too. You're making an assumption that the SEALS who would normally be doing these covert ops don't want to be there. These aren't GI's who joined up to pay for college, and all of a sudden are getting sent out into the field. These are Navy SEALS. These guys LOVE to sleep in the mud, eat beetles, kick down doors, and blow peoples heads off. Its what they live for. You know why? Cause they signed up to be Navy SEALS.

Furthermore, these "mercs", are recruited while they're active duty just like agents lurking around colleges. They are telling guys to quit the SEALS and take this 6 figure job. Which I don't have a huge problem with, but the guys who are dying as Mercs, that you say is no skin off your nose, really would have been dying as SEALS.

Combine all of the above with the facts that SuspectCorner posted about the history of trouble Blackwater has caused, and the fact that Blackwater guys aren't subject to the UCMJ and it seems like this should, and would be a job best left for the military.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is so simple is not even funny.
    Mercs have no pledge of allegiance.
    They can be international and only work for money.
    Highest bidder gains their services.
  11. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think you understand.
  12. CowboyWay

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Apparently you don't either, or you would have explained it.
  13. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Post # 50.
    Again.
  14. Hostile

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    I am fine with that. I'll sleep well tonight. My opinion is not changed in the least.
  15. CowboyWay

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    This makes even less sense than your posts regarding healthcare.

Color me not surprised.
  16. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Huh?...
  17. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,163 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    Mercs are not affiliated with a country "officially" therefore they are not a part of the geneva convention and therefore may not practice the protocols of the geneva convention. They are private military that has more freedom to move around and has more flexibility because their ROE and SOP is not as rigid as the military's. While mercs are the seedy underbelly of war no one really cars what happens to them because the only have money as their main goal though I feel some have been "fooled" into believing the cause.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    I am not in love with Mercenaries being used for all operations. Not saying anybody is advocating this. Just saying that I am not in favor of this. You really can't trust Mercenaries to keep the countries best interests at heart. Contrary to what has been posted here, the very large majority of Mercs are not American. They do not have our best interests at heart and whatever intel learned in any given operation is not necessarily confidential. The best work done in these kinds of areas are done my Americans. That is why I believe that we should use our own people for a lot of the operational things our Government does.
  19. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Hopefully CowboyWay will understand it this time.
  20. CowboyWay

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Have you ever had an original thought Artie? Or do you just copy and paste other people's posts and then make a comment on how someone else will "never understand"?

I'll wait for someone else to answer, and then you can quote them.