1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Calling Hostile... Any info/pics on Longely punching Staubach?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CowboyDan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,367 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    I'm not certain so don't quote me on this but I think at least one of the picks the Cowboys got for Clint Longley in the trade with San Diego was traded to Seattle the following year that helped the Cowboys move up to the #2 spot to select Tony Dorsett. From what I recall the Cowboys got at least 2 undisclosed draft picks from San Diego for Longley. They then traded 4 picks to Seattle to move up to #2 overall.
  2. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,144 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This website supports your recollection:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/1977.htm
  3. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Fight #1

Cowboy QBs come to blows

Editor's note: This story appeared in The Dallas Morning News on Aug. 11, 1976

By BOB ST. JOHN/ Dallas Morning News

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif -- What had been a somewhat placid training camp erupted after an afternoon workout Tuesday when quarterbacks Roger Staubach and Clint Longley got into a brief but spirited fight.

After exchanging words during a passing drill, which came after the regular practice session, the two met behind a nearby baseball dugout.

There was another exchange and eyewitnesses said Longley swung, hitting a glancing blow off Staubach's head. Staubach apparently started swinging, too.

Coach Dan Reeves, who rushed to break up the fight, said Staubach had Longley down and was delivering a number of calculated blows when the fight was stopped.

"Actually, it was just another drill," quipped Longley. "We hadn’t had enough contact in training camp." He then added, "It’s over now."

"As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing's over," said Staubach. "Clint's doing a super job. I just want to forget the whole thing."

"I don't think anything at all about it," said Tom Landry. "At this stage of camp, everybody is tired and tempers flare up. It happened on the field and that's where it stays."

Trouble began when the quarterbacks and receivers were working late on timing. Staubach fumbled a snap as Drew Pearson ran a pattern. Clint, holding a football, went ahead and threw toward Pearson who had stopped. Longley apparently made a comment at Pearson and Staubach told him to cool it. It wasn't cool later.

Staubach did suffer minor cuts on his right hand said they shook hands and no rematches are planned. "I hope they sell popcorn next time," said Blaine Nye.
  4. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Fight #2

Longley walks out after 'round 2'

Editor's note: This story appeared in The Dallas Morning News on Aug. 13, 1976

By BOB ST. JOHN/ Dallas Morning News

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Roger Staubach-Clint Longley feud erupted once again in the dressing room before practice Thursday afternoon when Longley slugged Staubach on the side of the head, causing him to hit the weight scale, which sliced a nine-stitch gash over his left eye.

Longley then caught a ride to the Los Angeles airport, saying it was over with him and the Cowboys and that he was taking a week or so off to think over his situation. Tom Landry immediately suspended Longley for leaving and said he'd try to accommodate him with a trade.

Longley claimed Staubach provoked him by shoving chairs at him in the dressing room. Staubach said he had not and witnesses indicated Staubach was putting on his shoulder pads, both arms inside and suspended upward, when Longley delivered a right hook.

"He shoved chairs at me and it was a one-punch fight,' said Clint, upon departure. "That's it with the Cowboys."

"Clint's an outright liar,' said Staubach. "I shoved no chairs at him. I was walking into the dressing room, was putting on my shoulder pads and not even looking at him when he hit me.

"He hit me, I jerked around trying to get the pads down and hit the scales. Clint knew he had no chance unless he took the cowardly way out and that's what he did. He said nothing at all to me, I wasn't looking and he hit me. He lied in order to try and justify being gutless."

After the blow they went for each other. Apparently Ed Jones, D.D. Lewis and others grabbed Staubach and Randy White put both arms around Clint and held him back. Staubach went to the training room and then started back after Longley when he was once again restrained.

Longley left the dressing room, passing Landry on the way to his dorm. "I told him I'd hit Roger and I was gone," said Clint. Landry asked him to stay and talk about it but he said there was no need.

Landry had made it clear when the two fought after a mid-week practice session that any more such incidents would force him to make a decision. It was a foregone conclusion by all concerned that the decision would mean Longley was out.

The club apparently put a gag rule on the players. One reported Landry had told them to "keep it in the family."

Most players, who did not want to be quoted by name, said they actually hadn't seen the blow, but a defensive player explained, "When I looked over there after Clint swung, Roger still had his arms up in his shoulder pads.

"I'd hardly call that fair."

"When is a fight fair?" said another player.

Various stories continue to circulate here but one player indicated Longley had apparently packed and was ready to leave before he ever went to the dressing room. Another said Clint didn't seem to be himself around the quarterbacks and receivers during this camp and could have worried about the addition of Danny White, though from a personal viewpoint Longley never seemed to show he felt any pressure.

This is not clear, though Longley had become angry over stories in the newspapers in which witnesses said Staubach had him down and was hitting him during their fight earlier this week. The fight was reported as being provoked when Clint had looked downfield after a play had ended during passing drills and called Drew Pearson "a skinny legged ………." Staubach took exception to this and indicated Clint should say it to Drew and that he (Staubach) might knock his teeth (Longley said Staubach said rabbit teeth) down his throat.

"I say it to Drew all the time," said Longley. "He knows I don't mean anything by it." Pearson said he didn't recall hearing himself called that particular name.

"It shouldn't have gotten that far," said Staubach, cooling off somewhat after practice. "I'm sorry it happened. I should have done something to prevent it. We shook hands and I thought it was over. No, Clint's too good a quarterback and I don't want to see him leave the Cowboys.

"As far as I'm concerned he could come back and the whole thing's over … until the end of the season."

At the time of the first fight Tom Landry said he thought nothing about it because it happened on the field. When it happened again on the eve of the club's departure to Dallas, Landry explained:

"When something happens on the field I forget it. When it happens off the field something must be done. You don't expect that to happen if you have mature people working. Obviously, it wasn't settled on the field. If you can't settle things on the field you can't operate as a team."

Training camp ended Thursday and, perhaps, Longley put it best when he said, "Camp lasted a week too long."