1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Calling it now - trade up for Clowney

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,909 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    If Clowney falls to #6 we will move up a la Claiborne in 2012. Broaddus has stated it's been discussed as a possibility for us. We may even move up higher depending on the price. Given recent hype has 3 QB's plausibly going top 5 with a lockjam of talent remaining we could see enough shuffling around that leaves up able to go up and grab him. I'm predicting if Clowney falls we do it.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,192 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Another crazy thread :eek:

Clowney won't make it past Houston. I live here and from various leaks and friends, HOU wants him. They do not want Manziel either. They will be following two options:

1. Take Clowney at #1 and call it a day
    2. Trade down and get Bortles

Even if he made it to #6 or whatever, Dallas will not trade up again. There are far too many holes to fill giving up a 2nd and/or 3rd(maybe a future). If anything, I think Dallas saves their ammo for 2015 if Romo is unable to perform to par and go after Winston then.
    Cowboy06 likes this.
  3. Cowboy Brian

11,909 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I personally would love to see us grab Bridgewater since it's seeming like he will endup as the third QB off the board, which may be as late as #5 to Oakland. I feel like Jerry wouldn't be able to turn down the allure of Clowney, plus he's a great player and I wouldn't be against trading up for him.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,183 Messages
    6,970 Likes Received
    No way we're trading up more than a slot to two at most, and even then, we'd only do that if a blue-chip were to somehow into our range and we didn't have to give up the farm to get him. In other words, nope. And that's the way it should be, too.
  5. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    i hope not. i hope another team drafts clowney and his 3 sacks...
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,788 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    I can see Atlanta trading up to 1 overall for Clowney. Houston wants out
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,192 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Yea, but if HOU can't find a partner, they will take Clowney or so I have heard. They really want to trade down and gain an extra pick, just not sure the teams not far behind will offer enough.

JAX, CLE and Oak should go after QB's, that only leaves STL to contend with, wonder what they would offer to swap 1 and 6..........

I still think they want Bortles and no way they should take him at #1. Clowney will be a consolation prize if they can't trade out IMO.
  8. Cowboy Brian

11,909 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Never count Oakland out of doing something ridiculous. Would anyone really be shocked if Houston fleeced them for the #5 pick + next years first? Oakland always seems caught in a trance, maybe Miles Austin + our first could get us to #5, who knows with them lol but nothing can surprise me after the 2 firsts for Palmer trade..
  9. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    “Discussed as a possibility”.

I’m sure many things have been discussed as a possibility, and like most of those discussions this one will most likely to amount to nothing.
  10. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I dont see Clowney geting past Houston, they would be crazy to not add him to J.J. Watt.

But even if he does, imagine the trade offers St. Louis could have for him at #2. You have to at least get to #2 for him.
  11. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Yes of course, will Witten be the bait? .. oh wait, that's the other thread. :D
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,231 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    I think it would be a mistake. I don't see Clowney as a "once in a lifetime player", maybe he can be, but I don't risk giving up at least a 2nd rounder and maybe more. We made the mistake with Claiborne, lets not do it again.
    Common Sense likes this.
  13. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Once-in-a-lifetime players offer once-in-a-lifetime production in successive years.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,956 Messages
    3,460 Likes Received
    I don't see Dallas giving up much needed high picks to move up to get Clowney. There are some top DL players who will be there when the Cowboys pick. In my view stay put, we need to hit on as many picks as we can since FA is not much of an option for the Cowboys
  15. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I see Clowney as commanding a higher price than Claiborne. Multiple picks, and since the best teams are the teams that can hit on gems in the middle rounds...i think you know where i'm going with this. If the only thing we lose is a second rounder..then fine. but that wouldn't happen.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,287 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    That'd be a negative on that for me.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    Less than 1% chance. Anybody with a clue knows this team isnt one player away, just like they werent one player away on the Claiborne trade.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    If we get a deal like St. Louis (?) gave us, then yes, I can see it happening. It turned out to not be that much in retrospect.

That said, I like other players and I like drafting a Defensive Tackle more than Clowney at this stage.
    mcompact likes this.
  19. bodi

bodi Active Member

658 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    don't see it happening
  20. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    No! Too many holes to fill. They need those picks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.