1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Calvin Pryor vs. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dalboy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dalboy

dalboy one man wolf pack

1,077 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know much about either and I see a lot of mock drafts with us taking one of the two. What are the big differences between them and who is the better fit for our defense?
    Nirvana likes this.
  2. DEMARC0MURRAY29

DEMARC0MURRAY29 Active Member

265 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I think Pryor is better.
    Wolf2k5 likes this.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Great thread.... Was pretty much thinking about this too... I have a feeling we don't take a dl if we stay at 16/17
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Pryor is your true ball hawking FS. You can play him back and let him be a center-fielder. He reminds me alot of Jairus Byrd. Also has great speed to get to the line and can lay the hit.

Clinton Dix is a all around player. He is more of a SS in today's NFL. 12 years ago he would have been a great FS, now just a true SS. He can play back and attack at the ball but doesn't have the same speed or quickness that Pryor has. He puts himself in great position to be at the ball but also played on a great defense with Alabama.

Pryor is the better FS and is the type of FS Dallas needs in this scheme.
  5. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,505 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    i dont know why people think Ha ha dix is a SS,he played FS in college and most internet scouts think he will play FS in the NFL.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  6. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Have you watched him play. An Alabama FS is a SS in the NFL. Just depends on which team he goes to. In Dallas he would be a SS. He isn't a roaming FS. We need a Earl Thomas type.

Also these scouts you speak of. Are they actual scouts or just Internet guys. Bryan Broadus also said he was more of a SS than FS.
  7. DuDa

DuDa Active Member

323 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Dix is one of the most overhyped players I have seen in awhile. His tape is crazy inconsistent. He plays with low-average awareness, has good straight line speed but has issues turning and running. Not as physical as you would want for a SS and not good enough in coverage to play FS. He is an average starter at best in the NFL.

Every player can improve and get better so there is some potential there but his tape is pretty rough for a projected 1st round pick.
    Wolf2k5 and CopenhagenCowboy like this.
  8. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

581 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Agreed.

It looks like he guesses too much, always trying to make the highlight-reel play. And at Bama, he can get away with that -- not the NFL.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    The problem is there is only one Earl Thomas and Calvin Pryor is no Earl Thomas
    casmith07 likes this.
  10. Donny Phoenix

Donny Phoenix Active Member

141 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    If Dallas goes with Clinton-Dix, then he'll play at FS regardless of what he's considered to be by pundits. I seriously doubt Dallas is going to draft a replacement for Church at SS in the 1st Rd. That said, I'm thinking Pryor over Clinton-Dix. I'm okay with Calvin Pryor being a great Calvin Pryor. Who knows? Maybe a Calvin Pryor ends up being better than an Earl Thomas.

Wouldn't it suck hearing "Ha Ha!" everytime our secondary got burned? Just a thought...
    Nirvana likes this.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,887 Messages
    2,246 Likes Received
    Neither one of them. They both should be 2nd-5th rounders.
    Fredd likes this.
  12. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    right but he is closer to that style than Clinton Dix is
  13. Manwiththeplan

4,901 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    yea, I'd agree, but still think both prospects are over rated
  14. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    i dunno about that. Just depends on where you rate them and where they end up going. I have Pryor as a mid to late 1st. he is a better player than Elam or Cyprien both went late 1st early 2nd.

I have Dix as a early 2nd round pick.

The combine is coming up and players will get into their place over the next month.
  15. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
  16. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
  17. Manwiththeplan

4,901 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Funny part is, based on what they describe, his game doesn't resemble Earl Thomas'. Sometimes I think these online scouts just throw out names to be people excited. To me, Pryor is a guy that has the range to be a good, but not great FS, but far more physical than an Earl Thomas/Ed Reed.
  18. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,313 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    This is my feeling as well...if BPA is the approach, then neither should be in our range....if we draft for need, then neither plays in the trenches...if one is there in the 2nd round? possibly, but they likely won't be unless they flop at the combine and drop as a result
  19. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

941 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I have watched both of them closely and agree neither is first rd material. I do think they both take horrible angles on some plays, another player to add to the FS mix is Brooks. This safety class is a tier down from last years.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,313 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    The more I hear people saying this (that they have watched them more than I), the more I am almost bundling them like I do TE...not as severe of course, but to the degree that I don't want one any time early...we'll see how the combine and the actual draft shakes out though