1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Calvin Pryor

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Playmaker247, Jan 15, 2014.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    Pryor will be gone. Just my opinion. First safety off the board
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Take the best player available... Pryor is on my short list of players that would make an immediate impact on this team.
    supercowboy8 likes this.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    I will say this tho. He looks no different then Wilcox except he played in a big school rather then a small school. I have a feeling The Cowboys will either roll with Wilcox or Heath
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. bodi

bodi Active Member

734 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    I not Heath he's terrible
  5. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

1,442 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    That's my fear, take a DT just to take one and pass on a better player.....
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  6. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Watched all 5 cut-ups of Pryor on Draft Breakdown last night. Good lord. That guy can play. I'd call him a "kamikaze striker."

The guy is 6'2" and built very well. I'm not sure what kind of 40 he'll run but I'll tell ya, he looks like he's at a whole different speed than everyone else. He plays like a 4.40 guy. Amazing angles in pursuit and the ability to square up and deliver a blow at rare closing speed. He's right on the cusp of reckless, yet it somehow seems controlled. I don't think he has Ed Reed-like instincts and read-and-react skills as a deep zone guy, but his speed, angles, and aggression gets him to a lot of balls in the air.

Overall, I'm fairly closed off to taking a S so early... but this is the EXACT type of guy at that position that we've been waiting for. A special FS. Calvin Pryor is a guy I'd be open to making a philosophical exception for (which is build from the front to the back).
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Yep....
  8. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,768 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    True, but Seattle took Thomas before they had a lot of those DL and LB's. I understand the need for improving the front 7, especially the front 4, but you get in trouble when you focus too much on a certain position. Last year, there was a good bit of first round DL talent, so if it came down to a guy like Richardson vs. Vacarro, I would've gone with Richardson for sure. This year, there's more depth, but not so much top tier guys like Richardson and Star.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,951 Likes Received
    If they properly evaluate all players, it's unlikely that 1 player available at #16/17 is going to be a consensus better player than a handful other other available players.

Where the Cowboys have had problems is when they ranked a late round pick as a 1st rounder (Shante Carver, Ekuban, etc..). If the player evaluations are wrong it does not matter if the draft strategy is BPA or need.
    visionary likes this.
  10. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,373 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    we have a capable secondary.
  11. CarlAllDay

CarlAllDay Active Member

1,835 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I wish folks would stop overrating these DL prospects because we have a glaring need for DL. If Pryor is best player on board you take him! We have one of the best DL coaches in football (Rod) and this draft for DL is deep but not actually "star heavy". And that Kiffin Tampa 2 zone coverage is old and outdated good QB's take 3 step drops and pick any secondary apart with that coverage. Our safety play was atrocious with the ball in the air. You're all fooling yourselves thinking Matt Johnson or church are competent with the ball in the air. Matt Johnson has shown nothing, and JJ was just a rook. But we're clearly in need of real safety help. Not these late round projects. We've failed miserably with trying to get cute in the late rounds developing safeties. In today's pass happy league with the evolution of TE's you need good safety play. I agree a great front 7 is always desirable, but there's not a "great" rush player outside of Clowney/Barr/Mack .. Kony has "potential" to be "good" but he was never truly dominant. We must really be careful with just begging for dlinemen because we need some. They'll be plenty of good options in rds 2-4 for DL ..
    HeavyBarrel likes this.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Ekubust and Carver were slight reaches. They were not late round guys on draft boards anywhere.
    They sucked when they got here all the same.
    Talent evaluation is key.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,628 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    That would be a mistake. We need to develop Wilcox to replace church. Wilcox only played safety one year in college at a small college and then this year was bad. He needs time and don't think he is a FS. Much better at in the box.
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,628 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Pryor is the guy this defense needs. There is a much larger drop off in talent in this draft with safeties than DE, DT, OG, and OLB.

I think Pryor goes to the rams or bears right before us.
  15. strasscat

strasscat Member

86 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I like him but i would rather wait until the second round and get Dion Bailey or Lamarcus Joyner.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,951 Likes Received
    Carver said himself that he was told that he would probably be about a 4th round pick.

Ekuban was expected to be a 2nd rounder at best.
  17. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,077 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    If Hageman and Ealy are gone, then I want HaHa and Donald in the 2nd rd. I'd love the come out of rounds 1&2 with:

#1 - Hageman, Ealy, or HaHa

#2 - Donald or Shazier