1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cam Newton wouldn't 'open up' in interviews at the Combine, which concerns some team

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, the most scrutinized player in this year's NFL draft, left many questions unanswered with his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Although he did well in some of the drills, such as the 40-yard dash, broad jump and vertical jump, Newton had a subpar throwing session. He completed only 11 of 21 passes and struggled with his footwork.

Cam Newton completed only 11 of 21 passes and struggled with his footwork at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. (AP Photo) In the interview room, he was guarded with his answers and seemed to give a lot of "coached-up answers," according to one scout, whose team is interested in drafting a quarterback and talked to Newton in Indianapolis.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...on-wouldnt-open-up-in-interview#ixzz1FUNhGSYc
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,966 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    He just looked uncomfortable out there...nerves, probably. I think he'll be fine.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,132 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    Did they continue to pepper him with questions about his dad's involvement in the pay-for-play scheme? Of course, he wouldn't open up.

Cam isn't a polished speaker, and when someone is put on the spot, if they don't know how to respond, they give pat answers.

If that's the issue, I don't see it as a reason to hold his interviews against him.

Let him drop. Somebody's going to get a steal.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well said....
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,512 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    He didn't look that impressive in the one drill that matters most throwing. Cam Newton is a project a complete roll of the dice.

If I'm drafting a QB in the first round I'm picking one who's the most impressive at throwing the football.

Athletic ability is a bonus it's the ability to throw the football accurately and make good decisions that will make or break a QB in the NFL.
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,680 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Not many people are polished speakers at 22. These guys know how to talk to the prospects at the combine. They know they're going to get pat answers some of the time. And I'm sure they can recognize when it's something to ignore versus when it begins to become a concern.

It's not like these NFL teams don't know they're not going to be polished speakers.
  7. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,241 Messages
    12 Likes Received

Curious, you feel this way about Mallett too, the way he answered questions from the media?
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    the interviewers know this; they are pretty smart. So they have gotten good at picking up indications, body language, etc. It is not all about the words. If they were not impressed by Newton, its because of what they saw more than what they heard.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The guy isn't an NFL QB. Having the physical tools does not make an NFL QB.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Cam Newton hates America.

You could ask him about it, but he will not open up about it.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    I would roll the crap out of those dice.

If he goes to a defensive minded team he could be special.
  12. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    With a top 10 pick? Hell no. He has piss poor mechanics and IMO makes bad throwing decisions. Just because he has the physical tools, doesn't mean he is a QB. I need a QB that doesn't depend on his ability to run to be effective. I don't want a Vince Young or Kordell Stewart type QB. Give me the real deal.

Newton has bust factor written all over him.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

If I had a Quality QB Coach and I was in no hurry to get this guy on the field I would do it in a second.

He is amazing physically and he has a bigtime work ethic.

If he gets on a team that puts him in the same type of role that Big Ben gets to play in I can see this guy having all kinds of success.

99.9% of the time i'd be with you on your comments but the guy is smart, works extremely hard, and has Physical ability that is just incredible.

He'll buy time in the pocket and make all kinds of plays in this league if he works on just the basic techniques.
  14. KJJ

10,512 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    If you're willing to roll the crap out of those dice then why does he need to go to a defensive minded team to be special? That comment isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Newton.

If he's special at the NFL level his team will be scoring a lot of points. I wouldn't be rolling the dice on a QB in the top that needs to go to a defensive minded team.

Bottom line Newton is a project you don't draft a project in the top 10.
  15. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would agree, although I hope the Idiot Redskins draft him. It would make my year!

I believe in the theory that if Michael Vick did not have the year he had last season, Newton would be a 3rd rounder. But teams saw what Vick was able to accomplish and that has inflated the stock of Newton under the theory that atheletic mobile quaterbacks can be lethal. Of course, Newton is no Vick as runner.

I'll take brains over athleticism every time for QBs. Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, and Rivers aren't going to post freakish 40 and broad jump times. But they have the brains to read and breakdown a defense.

Amazingly, history can't teach some people this obvious truth. They keep trying over and over to make something of a qb out of an athelete.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    completed only 11 of 21 passes? Hell there is no pass rush and no DB's covering the WR. Come on Man
  17. KJJ

10,512 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    When I look at a QB I look mostly at their ability to make all the throws and throw the football accurately.

You want a QB who has good feet and can extend a play but I wouldn't draft any QB in the first rd especially in the top 10 if their best trait is their athletic ability.

I don't care how athletic and fast a QB is they won't lead a team to a championship if they're not excellent passers.

Everyone is infatuated with Newtons athletic ability we've seen this with Vick and Vince Young.

Some have mentioned Newton reminds them of Kordell Stewart like that's suppose to be a compliment? LOL

Kordell wasn't a bad player and was a good in his "slash" role but I certainly wouldn't be using a top 10 pick to end up with with a QB like Kordell what the heck did he accomplish? :rolleyes:

He never got the Steelers as far as Neil O'Donnell.

It's hard for me to be impressed by Newton who had accuracy problems during a workout where he wasn't facing a pass rush and was throwing to uncovered receivers.

Until one of these athletic run first QB's wins a SB I won't be taking them very seriously.
  18. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That was me and it wasn't meant as a compliment. I said I don't want a QB who depends on his ability to run the ball to make plays.
  19. KJJ

10,512 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    I've heard others (scouts) compare Kordell Stewart and Cam Newton.
  20. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,168 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Draft a QB with poor mechanics, poor footwork, a questionable past, and poor throwing ability? No thanks. Newton is a luxury pick. He'd be great on a team like the Stealers where he had zero chance of starting, and was only asked to come off the bench and win a few games now and then. He'll make some team a great backup, and probably be successful in the NFL for many years to come. A top 10 pick and a starter in this league...I just don't see.