1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Campus guns bill gaining support in Texas House

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,058 Likes Received
    By DAVID SALEH RAUF AUSTIN BUREAU

April 10, 2009, 12:01AM

AUSTIN — Legislation allowing state university students and employees to carry their concealed handguns on campus appears to have enough pledged support from lawmakers to pass the full Texas House.

The bill would prohibit public universities across Texas from creating rules that forbid concealed handgun license holders from carrying their pistols into a classroom, but it would allow private institutions to exempt themselves.

Chances for passage in the House — if it gets there — look strong, as 76 members have signed on to support the bill, authored by Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland.

The House Public Safety Committee already has signed off on the measure. Now, it needs to get scheduled for debate in the full House.

“State after state after state have said no to it … and this committee just chose to ignore them,” said Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “I’m not usually surprised about what goes on in Austin, but I am terribly disappointed.”

In the Texas Senate, 13 members have pledged support for an identical measure sponsored by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio.

If passed and signed into law, it would mark a rare legislative victory for advocates of allowing concealed firearms on campus. Similar proposals have failed in 19 other states since 2008, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

“If it does make it to the Senate floor we also expect it to pass,” said Katie Kasprzack, a spokeswoman for the grass-roots gun group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. “We’re hearing that the Senate State Affairs (committee) may let the bill die. That’s going to be the biggest hurdle.”

Eleven universities or colleges across the country allow students and employees to carry handguns on campus.

Utah is the only state that prohibits all nine of its public universities from making rules to prevent a concealed handgun license holder from carrying on campus.

In the 23 states that give universities the option to allow it, only two have done so: Colorado State University and Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia. Twenty-four states, including Texas, forbid the possession of a handgun by licensees on their public university campuses, according to a House report.

drauf@express-news.net

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6367187.html
  2. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    This will be a bad mistake, if it gets through. I'm all for the right to bear arms but this is just silly.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Schools rights should not trump the second admendment.

Kansas is working on something similar. The version of the bill I heard discussed would allow law abiding citizens with their CC licence the ability to take it anywhere except a courthouse. The entire point of the concealed carry is to be able to defend yourself. The bad guys take theirs anywhere they feel the need. The law abiding citizens should be able to defend themselves.

If someone was armed at that immigration building last week, maybe 14 people would still be alive today.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This makes a lot of sense to me.

If someone's up to trouble, they're not going to let the law stop them from carrying a gun.

The only thing these gun-control laws do is disarm the law-abiding -- the very people who might be able to stop one of these attacks.
  5. irvin4evs

irvin4evs Benched

573 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not quite, but ok.

Yeah, let's encourage conceal and carry in the nation's booze-consumption capitals. Woohoo!
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Open carry not concealed carry would be my way.

Virginia Tech was a no gun zone. Did not help them did it?
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This is one of the worst ideas in the history of stupid ideas.

Think back to when you guys were in college. Remember how stupid you were, stupid your friends were, and how stupid the people around you were? How many fights did you see at parties or local establishments or on the intramural fields? How many fights did you hear about at the frathouse? Young guys are all idiots. You want to add guns to that mix? Yiiiiiiiikes. I am all for gun ownership, hell I have two myself, but allowing kids to carry 'em around on university property is asking for trouble.
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It sounds good in theory, but the reality is, any spaz with a gun doesn't sound good at all.

Someone goes batty and flashes a gun, you have a bunch of dopes in a gun fight. I'm sure the number of people shooting themselves in the foot, at the sound of a late night bump in their house is pretty common, having people walk around feeling like a gunslinger in the midst of that is just asking for a ton of misfires. Only chances are greater it's not their feet they'll be hitting.

The right to bear arms is correct, but there's a reason for the restrictions on it: human nature.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I think it would be better served for Faculty to have the ability to have the weapons. So if something happened, like some of the recent shooting sprees, the faculty would have the ability to defend the students.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Since you have to be 21 to have a handgun you would not be talking about freshmen and the like. Though restricting it to faculty is not a really bad idea- more like keep it to those who are old enough and those that have shown to be responsible.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,276 Messages
    2,467 Likes Received
    Don't the school faculties in Israel keep concealed firearms?
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Haven't heard anything about this but would be very interested if you could point me to a couple articles.
  13. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Okay, lets talk stupid. You ready, California town passes law, no guns allowed. Easy picking for the criminals. That worked out real well.

Go back to 1960 when elementary and high school kids would bring their shotguns to school so afterwards they could go hunting. They also used to work on the stocks in workshop and what have you.

No one dared to try and take over a school and no one had the need to lockdown a school, when a criminal was on the loose. They knew, you walked into a school, you were getting shot. This was not a problem back then, the children had their education on guns, they knew how to shoot guns and they knew when to shoot them. Stupid idea, not hardly.

Schools did not start to get shot up until the 1990's when you had a rash of them, why, no guns in schools. What happened, many kids dead. talk to the parents about that sometime.

Death is going to happen, we cant ignore it and we cant make it go away. The best thing to do is lessen it, and if you tell criminals, people are packing guns, they will go elsewhere. Most likely California, since they are sooo wise and unarmed.
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The problem is, the loons that shoot up schools are not criminals. Criminals commit crimes for gain with the hope of getting away. The people that go to school with guns are gone and they expect to die and want to take as many with them as they can. Creating a **** storm, with the possibility that a bunch of itchy fingers might help them in this task (of knocking off others), is probably more of an allure to them.
  15. ShiningStar

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

I dont know, i question some of the ones that committed suicide. So im not concerned there. And as i stated, this is not a new thing, walking into schools is a new thing, walking into retired homes is a new thing. Okay guns in retired homes, maybe not. IN a school, didnt hurt in the 60's.

Criminals also dont do for gain with the hope of getting away. Some challenge to get caught, others are on a high, others do it for the glory, others do it to show it can be done. There are a plethora of reasons why, ask any journalist covering these ordeals. They will get you more info on the criminal compared to the victims. The glory alone makes it ideal to do it.

If you kill one person, i will know more about the criminal than i will the victim. The criminal will get all the glory and the victim will still be dead. You run into a school to shoot it up, and you hear some clicks, you are not going down in glory, you are just going down.

The american people have had it and the old west is going to emerge in some places, you cannot stop it.
  16. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The anti-intellectuals strike again!
  17. ShiningStar

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Once again, he has all the answers. Anyone who wants to use guns to protect themselves, bad bad people. Criminals are good, just misunderstood.
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    A criminal mind is a very different thing than the damaged goods of the people that do this sort of thing. It's not a high, nor a play for glory. It's about vengeance, real or imagined. The idea that they are going to inflict mass damage is their goal and having a bunch of scared college kids with guns is a gold mine for such a person.

They plan to go down, they know they can't kill everyone, but the idea that they can put people in that situation is just an allure. This problem is bigger than not being armed, these people have problems greater than wanting glory. That idea fled the coop long before they got their gun and it's why they're doing what they're doing.

It's not going to be a bunch of crack shots, fast on the draw, it'll be soft college kids, who'd never even thought of killing another person, fumbling with guns. Sure, there are some who might be smart with a gun, but they'll be far outnumbered by the kid's who'd never even taken a real beating in their lives, much less pointed a gun at another human and will probably end up getting shot by one of them.

It's a very bad idea and not even worth considering.
  19. ShiningStar

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Yes, completely, lets continue to ignore reality and continue to play the hide our eyes game. Sure some kids are going to fumble. I got news for you, some wont. It will be like hunting and unfortuntely drawing a gun on someone to save your fellow person drives people do these things.

Im very aware of the criminal mind, and yes a lot was for a high and glory. See the Luttrel story. Pure fun there, but the glory that they could do it.
    These acts of violence are going to continue and more and more people are going to become victims and they are going to do crazy things thinking they are the only people to do something.

The fact remains that these people are not doing it where guns are allowed, and we can continue to ignore the victims but it wont be long before we become victims. I got news for you, i dont plan on dying early and if the person next to me draws a gun to stop a gun wielding pyscho, im all for it.

Can anyone tell me how long til the gun craze ends and we move to knives. I like knives more, silent and even more deadly at times.
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You're making sweeping generalizations all around. All crime isn't the same and what works in one instance will fail miserably in another. Being against this isn't being against gun ownership and the right to bear arms.

The jerk who shoots up a school is not the criminal mind. For the most part, the people that do this have no prior record and couldn't even survive as a criminal. What's being ignored is the truth about human nature and the harsh truth is, we're far from being a society of crack shots and Dirty Harrys. Colleges aren't full of grit and hard nosed survival, it's full of soft bodies. Give these people guns and they'll up the tally even more, with their shaky wrists.

The reality isn't that the people are unarmed, the reality is that the shooter plans to die regardless.

The Lutrell case is an entirely different beast and not even comparable. The idiots had a gun themselves and didn't shoot the guy chasing them. They ran, with the purpose of getting away, not dying. They most likely are criminals, not psychopaths. The answers to both are not the same.