1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Can Carter play OLB?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I only ask, cause of Kuechly is there when we draft in the 1st, would you be upset if we took him? The guy is a tackling machine. Put him next to Lee and the middle of our defense would be a wall. Both guys would be all over the field making plays. You go to the left, Lee stops you. You go to the right, Kuechly stops you. You go up the middle, they both stop you.

I know we have more pressing needs, like OL and CB, but still, Kuechly is a very special player.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,537 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    No, Carter is too small to play OLB in our scheme. I think they look for guys who are 6-3 or more with long arms and 260 pounds or so. The issue is having to go up against OTs and getting engulfed so they can't set the edge.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,591 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    No he can't little to small but that shouldn't stop Dallas from drafting Kuechly or Burfict if they are on top of the board when Dallas picks. Both are great ILBs. Kuechly is better but both different styles. Burfict can play OLB due to his ability to rush the passer. If Carter is good and we still have the chance to take Kuechly or Burfict, take them. Can't have enough.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Carter's presence should preclude Dallas from taking another ILB if the right player/situation presents itself in the Draft.

With little to no depth moving forward (Brooking likely retiring...Bradie James return questionable), I see no reason why this team would avoid stockpiling talent at the position. If Carter just becomes our next Kevin Burnett (meant in a favorable way), he will be contributing greatly to this defense.

Also, I don't know if Luke Kuechly is a gauranteed lock for a 1st round spot. I think he's a solid 2nd-3rd round prospect.
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received

I have seen many mock drafts with him in the top 10, and others with him in the top 20. I have yet to see him going lower than the early 20s of the 1st round.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You'll notice with the early mocks that roughly a 1/3 to half of those named in those mocks won't even be there come the draft. There will also be players not even mentioned in the early mocks that will end up being drafted in the 1st round.

I remember one year when Troy Smith was a projected Top 10 pick. Taylor Mays was recently projected to go very high.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    I brought up this possibility a month ago.

Yes. I think he could be groomed to be a 3-4 OLB. His skill set is more outside than inside. He'd just need to hit the weights and maintain that speed.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,591 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Luke Kuechly is a guaranteed lock. If there was ever a guaranteed lock its him.
    Unless he has a major injury he will be a 1st round pick.
    Have you seen the guy play, he is all over the field, raking up tackles and plays the pass very well. He is a better Sean Lee.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, oh man, here we go.... He very well could go in the 1st round. However, I don't think he's "lock."