1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Can Church Play SLB?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Teague31, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Seems like he is big enough and from I've read the SLB in this scheme needs to have strong coverage skills. Not saying he has strong coverage skills for a DB but for a LB he'd be pretty good.
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,156 Messages
    1,372 Likes Received
    I thought about this as well. It would be interesting to test out.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,790 Likes Received
    I've suggested that this could be an option. The problem is that they don't have anybody to play Safety at the moment.
  4. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Didn't we think the same thing about Roy Williams?
  5. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Interesting. Lets say we get a Vaccaro/Cyprien and want to get our best (fastest) lineup on the field. Could we do something like...

WOLB- Church
    MLB- Lee
    SOLB- Carter

SS- Johnson
    FS- Vaccaro/Cyprien

Would be a very, very inexperienced lineup. Literally every position listed would be filled by guys who have never played there before. And our starting S's have never played a down. Sensabaugh could be the SS though. A bit out there, but a thought considering how Monte loves his front 7 so fast.
  6. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Can or will he be able to play ??????????????
  7. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,728 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Church would be the SOLB and Carter WOLB. You want your fastest guy playing WOLB because he typically has the most ground to cover, since most runs go to the strong side, and I think Carter is actually faster than Church.
  8. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Did you see any of his play the past year? I don't want him on the field on defense at all. He's a pretty good special teams player (wouldn't mind losing him though in all honesty) but against the run and pass he's just not that good.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,728 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Church only played a couple of games, and he was pretty good before he got hurt. Sure you're not talking about McCray?
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Yes (he was playing extremely well in preseason up until he was hurt, the coaches have even commented on that fact), you apparently did not or are getting him confused with Danny McCray.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,622 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    If he's healthy he will make a better SS than a LB.
  13. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't.

Only explanation would be confusing him with McCray.
  14. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I know Carter is faster than Church the moment Rivers ran him down from behind.
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    No. No amount of biscuits will turn him into an NFL LB.
  16. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,985 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Barry Church is playing at safety for the Dallas Cowboys in 2013-2014 season.
  17. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    That's right. He is going to be fun to watch this year
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,878 Messages
    7,607 Likes Received
    Don't know about SLB, but I know he was playing pretty well at S before he got hurt. I think he's our starting S for a long time if he hasn't lost his range.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,895 Messages
    4,458 Likes Received
    He's not a Will and he's too little to play Sam. He's a SS.
  20. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    Where do people get this notion that Church played well before the injury ? Did he play awful? No. Did he have a pretty good training camp? Yes. But did he play "well" before getting injured? He had 6 whole tackles in 3 games, 0 passes defended, 0 forced fumbles, 0 interceptions. The team gave him an extension based on what they saw in camp which was/is a gamble. Heck, I saw it up close and personal, he played his butt off in camp. He also had little or no competition. Brodney Pool showed up out of shape, Matt Johnson couldn't put two healthy practice reps together, and Danny McCray has the instincts of a tree stump.

Now you throw in he has to return from a torn achilles and that the team is going to a scheme dependent on Safeties being able to cover and I think the kid is in trouble.

I get that we as Cowboy fans HOPE he's a player but HOPE shouldn't be the strategy of our Front Office. If we have an opportunity to address and upgrade the Safety position this off-season, we absolutely must. If Church is the player some of you insist he is, he should have no problem beating out the (real) competition brought in.