1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Can Dallas Get a Quality Offensive Lineman in the 2nd?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 28, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
  2. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Sounds like Dallas is looking at all this DL talent and will focus on DL at 18, also don't be surprised with so much DL talent, if their guy is gone they will trade back and still get a DL. 2nd and 3rd round is where they will focus on Safety or OL.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,662 Messages
    2,098 Likes Received
    Frederick should be there along with Dallas Thomas.
  4. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I really don't see 3 OGs and that many OL going in the top 46. With so many talent WRs and DL, I just don't see that many OL being taken.

Also I wish Dallas would go back to man up power blocking and stop this zone blocking crap. I want big uglies that can over power the man in front of them.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,675 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    There's nothing wrong with the run blocking scheme Dallas runs, the problem is the talent.

And it's easier to find talent for a zone scheme then for a man scheme.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,662 Messages
    2,098 Likes Received
    All I can say is the National Championship game made me envious when Bama O Line ran roughshod over NDs D Line.
  7. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you, just depends on who you get. This draft the top talent is better suited for power blocking.

I think Winters could be a good zone blocking LG, Dallas Thomas as well as RT.
    But you leave guys like Frederick who don't have the feet to play in the zone.
  8. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    guys I like for this OL in the zone that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd are
    Brian Winters
    Brian Schwenke
    Barrett Jones
    Khaled Holmes
    Justin Pugh
    Dallas Thomas
    Alvin Bailey
  9. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

2,082 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    There probably will be a good OL for Dallas to take in the 2nd round. The question is will they take one?
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,675 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Well Cooper is right up there with Warmack and he's best in a zone blocking scheme.

I think Warford is best in a man scheme though.

I say we trade down to the top of the 2nd, take the BPA and pick up an extra first for next year. I think with all the OL and DL talent in the draft this year a player like Cooper could drop to the 2nd round (cuz of his position).

If not, there will be someone available that could start for us day 1. Hell, I think we can get a Day 1 starter with our first 2 picks.
  11. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Yes Cooper is the best in this draft for zone and I agree on Warford and Fluker is best in man as well.

I wouldn't mind a trade down but it just depends on who is there at 18 and when the run on DL or OL starts.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,948 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    I sgree with you 100%. The Cowboys lines of the 90s used some zone blocking with big guys. It worked well. Going with these small quick guys sounds great, but it is finesse football. I want to see a physical team. Another thing to consider is that blocking at the second level doesn't mean squat when the linemen are too small to block at the first level.
  13. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

3,334 Messages
    1,993 Likes Received
    I like Warford and Bailey in the 2nd. I think Winters can be had in the later rounds as well.
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    Of course they can...
  15. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,109 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I dont see Cooper making it out of the 1st Round. Especially not to #47.

Would be a dream scenario though. Still believe this teams needs to pick OG/ DT with the first 2 picks. Doesnt matter what order.
  16. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,115 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Can they?

Yes they can.

Will they be able to properly evaluate and pick him?

Who knows!
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,582 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    This is my worry.

We get to the 2nd round and the Cowboys send up a card for J.C. Tretter from Cornell. :eek:

With the streak of terrible OL they've brought in, I'm absolutely shocked they haven't completely revamped their approach to evaluating linemen. It's crazy.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

42,886 Messages
    2,400 Likes Received
    Lets see. with Free now seriously questionable, the only OL that Dallas has chosen that produced for years was Gurode. 2002. Before that the Hotel.

Has ANYONE in the NFL been as bad at drafting O line in the last 10 years?
  19. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,115 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    With Jerry trumpeting the fact they had a 3rd round grade on Ronald Leary and he can’t make the 53 man roster despite the injuries on the OL, David Arkin doesn’t see the field again despite the injuries, then there’s Robert Brewster etc. etc. I had to agree with you

Sometimes I think they’d be better off letting Mel Kiper choose the OL for us.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

18,904 Messages
    9,498 Likes Received
    OLinemen that I have rated as 2nd rounders:

6'5 308 OG Dallas Thomas Tennessee
    6'3 333 OG Larry Warford Kentucky
    6'3 305 OC Khaled Holmes Southern California
    6'4 305 OC Barrett Jones Alabama
    6'4 338 OC Travis Frederick Wisconsin