1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Can Monte get a healthy Dallas defense to limit 24 pts or less?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

644 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Does everyone think we can hold the opposing offenses (supposing everyone stays healthy) to 24 points or less?

The offense will definitely average around 28-31 ppg if Jerry can bring in Clabo, which should be more than enough for Monte.

This year the realistic goal should be to get to the Divisional round and next year the Super Bowl with all this talent getting a year more mature and letting Monte fill more holes with next year's class along the DL
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,459 Messages
    3,732 Likes Received
    Yes. We don't need Kiffin for that. Could have done that last year with Ryan. We led the league in number of different starters on defense last year.
  3. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

739 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I certainly hope so.. We have some pieces on D if we can just stay healthy for once.
  4. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,044 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    The Scheme Kiffin brings in, is to limit scores..Period.

While other defenses worry about not allowing to much yardage and points, this scheme is all about limiting scores, being aggressive and creating turnovers. Reading the QB trying to make plays, and keeping everything in front of you.

Kiffin won't care much about yards, just about points given up.

The thing I like about this D...is that Kiffin's style of defense will try to use the same personnel at all times, so that the offense cannot adjust its play call based on the alignment of the defensive personnel.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,411 Messages
    2,140 Likes Received
    Exactly.

I think what the team is thinking is that if the defense can hold teams to under 25 points, the offense is good enough to win 10 or 11 games. That should win the division considering the Eagles suck, the Skins have a gimp QB, and he Giants are just not that good.
  6. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,867 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I like having 4 lineman for the read option as well.
  7. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

901 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    If they give up an average of 24 ppg,it's going to be a tough season.
  8. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,411 Messages
    2,140 Likes Received
    That's the whole reason we switched schemes, with teams like Washington, Seattle, and San Francisco all running some form of the pistol offense, it is a lot easier to defend against that with a 43 scheme.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Saying the team is going to score between 28-31 points per game is pretty bold and most likely inaccurate. 24-28 is a lot more realistic. So yeah, let's hope the D can hold the opposition to under 24 or its going to be another long year.
  10. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,710 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I'm interested in seeing how many touchdowns per game the defense averages.
  11. jzcowboy

jzcowboy Active Member

924 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    The Ravens also had the same number of starters on defense. They won the Super Bowl.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,934 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    With the amount of guys on the DLine that are over 30 and the injury history of our LBs and secondary, I doubt they stay healthy.
  13. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

299 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I'm afraid we will struggle early on. Give up a ton of points on busted coverages and such. By the end of the season, I think we would be able to do that.

I want to see Bruce Carter blitzing off the edge..
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,934 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    One of the benefits of the cover 2 is that it's relatively simple. The guys int he secondary shouldn't have much trouble learning it, so I don't expect blown assignments and the like to be as much of a problem.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    I think if we can stay relatively healthy on defense this unit can be a very good defense. I know people love to say injuries are no execuse but I don't know too many teams who can suffer all the key injuries the Cowboys had last season on defense and still produce.
  16. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,218 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Isn't that what your defense did last year?
  17. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Whoa. I'm not saying we can't avg 28-31 but I wouldn't just assume we will.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    They did that last year.

400 points scored against Dallas.

Week 1 you had a Romo INT set the Giants up at the goal. Tyron saved a TD and defense kept it at 3 point.

Week 2 a punt was blocked and returned for a TD. Seattle was also handed the ball deep inside Dallas territory because Felix fumbled. Basically 10 points given up by ST this game.

Week 3, Romo interception at Dallas' own 30 yard line resulted in a FG. Romo also fumbled in this game and an inadvertent whistle saved another 7 points from being pinned on the defense. Tampa took over on the 31 and the defense forced a punt.

Week 4 there were 2 interceptions returned for TDs.

Week 6 had a ridiculous 108 yard kickoff return.

Week 8 had another INT for a TD.

The second Philly game featured a cheesy PR that should have never been returned for a TD.

Cleveland had a huge PR with added Penalty to put them inside the Redzone. They scored on the next play.

Murray fumbled on the Dallas 3 against the Saints.

I'm not even sure how many that would be something tells me it gets the Defense under 24 points per game for the season. Not even considering the field position on some of those turnovers, there were 35 points scored by opposing defenses or ST in the first 7 games of the season. Removing those non-offensive scores, the defense didn't even allow more than 24 in any game until the first Washington game.

Removing just those 5 scores has Dallas' defense allowing less than 19 points per game through the first 10 games of the season. It'd be under 18 if you shave off the 3 points handed to the Giants, the 3 points handed to the Seahawks, 3 points handed to the Bucs and the 3 points handed to the Browns. There could be more in those first 10 games.

If healthy, anything more than 21 points per game isn't getting the job done. The defense was doing better than that until injuries basically had them pulling randoms off the street and out of the stands.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't think the offense has cracked 25 per game since 2007.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    True but then over the last 8 games of this past season they avg 28 per game. A lot of that had to do with Dez and Romo really clicking with each other. I'm not going to say they will avg 28 points a game this coming season but if Dez can pick up where he left off then this offense can become more productive