1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Can This Turn Out Like the 2009 Season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackspider214, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,866 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    We all remember that season. It is kind of playing out like this one in a way. Hit a slump where everyone counted us out, even we did. Then we got fire and hit a stride. It started with the Saints game on Saturday night when they were still 13-0. That win took us all the way to our first playoff win since 96. We had the teams ahead of us as well lose the games we needed them to do put our destiny right back in our hands with 2 games left. Giants losing to Falcons did just that.

What do you think our chances are of repeating that season? Maybe ride this to another playoff run of some sort. This right now feels a little different than 2008 and 2011 because we were slumping down the stretch those years. We have won, what 5 of 6 or something?

It's just going to be tough with all the injruies on the defensive side. Facing 2 really good QBs the next 2 weeks.
  2. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    They suck.
  3. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    This feels very similar to '09, but there's a toughness that I like about this team. I will have to do my research on the '09 season to see how we clinched the division.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    We are a lot more injured then we were in 09 IMO.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    It is feeling like that. Maybe the difference is beating that eventual SB champ New Orleans -- this year we haven't beaten a really top team.

We and the Eagles were both 10-5 going into the last week of the year. Of course we beat them to win the division, then beat them the next week as well.
  6. Blackspider214

1,866 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    RG3 and Brees? Are you kidding me? Maybe you are being sarcastic and if so, carry on.

Off the top of my head, we were trailing Philly by like 2 games I want to say with 3 remaining. Well they lost the next day after we beat the Saints. It dropped to 1 game. And we had already beaten them earlier in the year. So the control went back to us. We win our last 2 that season, we are in. Remember, the very last game was against the Eagles for the division. But both teams were already guaranteed a playoff spot, though before the game was played. Then we played them the very next week for the Wild Card
  7. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Thanks.

I actually had a dream the 'Boys would win the Superbowl that year against the Colts. Except the Saints won it instead.:bang2:
  8. Blackspider214

1,866 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    I think we could match up well with the Saints if we had to play them again for the NFC title or if our seed allowed us to play them in the 2nd round. Our o-line just could not handle the Vikings front 4 at all. They killed us all game. Just a horrible matchup.
  9. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We can make the playoffs and have redemption against the Giants some how, I can see that happening. Either way, I doubt the Redskins and Cowboys make it. It's either the Cowboys and Giants or Redskins and Giants.
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I think this team is better suited to win honestly...
  11. demdcowboys#1

demdcowboys#1 New Member

1,453 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We get by NO, and I think we have a SERIOUS shot!
  12. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,664 Messages
    1,043 Likes Received
    This actually remind me more of last year. I could see Washington steam rolling us in the last game of the season too. Although I would rather face them than NYG.
  13. weaver21

weaver21 Member

627 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Hm, I don't know about that. Last year we really didn't have any momentum when we faced the Giants last year in the finale. This year we're 3-0 in December and they have a certain toughness about them this year that they didn't have last season as well. If we beat the Saints, the Cowboys are going to Washington with a lot confidence unlike last year when they didn't have much. The only thing that's different this year is the amount of injuries, but it hasn't affected them yet and I don't think it will.
  14. Blackspider214

1,866 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Not even close. We were horrible down the stretch. Only won one game after Thanksgiving. No momentum at all heading down the stretch. Found ways to lose every game unlike now, we are finding ways to win these games.
  15. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,535 Messages
    393 Likes Received
    That team wasn't ravaged with injuries and didn't have nearly the drama of this year. Think about Dez and his mom, Jerry/Ratliff, the Brent manslaughter.

I've been the biggest Garrett critic out there but even you have to admit this team has done a great job of bouncing back when everyone counted them out. Part of me wants to put all the credit on Romo behind this line and the defense playing minus 7 starters - but at some point you got to give the head coach some credit.
  16. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,173 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Isnt that the season we lost TO for a few games at the end of the year?

Never mind thinking of another season.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    Well first, I didn't mean it as a criticism of this team. We haven't played a top-top team like that one this last several weeks to even have a chance to beat them.

Second, that year did have offseason drama when the practice facility collapsed and people were injured and paralyzed. But no Brent-type incident, thank God. I don't count the Jerry/Ratliff story as anything -- that's just typical Cowboys non-drama that gets blown up by the bloggers and message boards.

Third, that team didn't have injuries, true. But I give Ryan more credit for the team overcoming them ones we have this year, because the injuries are all on the defensive side of the ball. When the O-line got shuffled earlier in the year, we were a complete mess.

Fourth, I do give Garrett credit for yesterday. That was a well-played game and the players looked prepared and ready. We didn't have a lot of mental busts and penalties. That's about the second one all year though, after the Giants one. And personally, I expect us to play like that a lot more often.
  18. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    That's hope this is the season to win it all, build game by game.:star:
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,809 Messages
    1,074 Likes Received
    I think...........

This team has shown that they can play with any team, and I mean any team. Sometimes, and we still have these problems, penalties cause us to stop important drives.

If this team can keep focused for 60 minutes, this team wins out and goes to the play offs. If Romo can keep carrying the team and being smart with the football, and most importantly, NOT FREEZE UP, we can go toe-to-toe with any team.

If Garrett doesn't lose his mind and fall back into "breaking ground" mode, by trying to outsmart the world instead of just doing things that are proven to work, then we can make noise.

If we can find a way to generate pressure, MORE consistently, and get our secondary to playing like a strong unit, I wouldn't worry.

Romo, your name is up again. It's time buddy. Win out, you go places. Lose one, or both and choke again, then you are who you are. (a regular season hero)
  20. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    for the Redskins and Cowboys to make it, we would have to win the division and the bears would have to lose one more. Considering their losing streak of late, that is not hard to imagine.