1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Can we officially say Jason Witten is no good...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jamesdojr, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    ....in the red zone...

His numbers are always so good but he is never a target in the endzone. I didn;t even realiz he has 1 TD all season... and this is Tony's favorite target. Is it Witten? Or Romo? Or the play calling? Is that a reason we don't score as many TD as we should... because our top pass catcher isnt a target?

It seems like he should be our top endzone target. He knows how to get open. He and Tony are on the same page. He can use his big body to shield away defenders. Speed is not the main issue.... it's more about being crafty and getting open which is Witten's strength...

???? I don't get it?
  2. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,726 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Not sure if this is a myth or not.

But..

This team can't run the ball.

The opposing team "probably" has something to do with "gameplanning" against the other teams best weapon on offense and in the red zone. Especially when the running thread is not there.

Just a hunch..

Witten no good in the RD.. Gimme a break.
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,373 Messages
    617 Likes Received

Ahem. Jason has become a stat paddin, hit dodger. Guess I can't blame him.
  4. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,442 Messages
    313 Likes Received

And here it is.
  5. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,280 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    He's forced into being a blocker because we don't have an oline.
  6. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,266 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Not just witten the boys suck in the red zone and have for years now. Hmmm I wonder why
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    That, and he gets bracketed in the red zone. Safety over top, LB to either side. Hard to get open in that situation. It does mean that other guys get 1 on 1 coverage, which you should be able to take advantage of...if we could, this would be a non issue.
  8. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I can see that from 2 yards out but... 8-12 yard TDs should be happening more often IMO. Just seems like once dallas gets to the 20 yd line, Witten is no longer part of the equation. He can get 8-12 yard passes all game long but it stops going his way in the red zone. I don;t get it.

9. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Ronald McDonald? ;)
  10. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,546 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Andre Johnson is one of the elite receivers in the NFL and yet he isn't used much in the redzone either. Guess that means he sucks?:rolleyes:
  11. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,266 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Lol yes spot on
  12. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

287 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    It's called red zone defense. ... Most teams drop into a zone style coverage 2 deep when an opposing offense hits the red zone... This defense brackets your hitches and out / in patterns while leaving your outsides open for fades one on one .. Also you could get a wr open on a quick slant in these situations .. Quick slants and fades are typically not Jason's duty / calls.. Typically Jason will be assisting in blocking closer to end zone then bump out to a short relief valve type pattern.. Bottom line field gets smaller defenses get tighter
    I believe we could exploit these defense patterns with Witten if he was able to break off the line without block or chip responsibilities ...
  13. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,177 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Stick a fork in him. Cut him. He's dead weight. Slacker. Couldn't catch a cold.
    :rolleyes:
  14. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,689 Messages
    1,376 Likes Received
    You got the wrong Jason. It's the other Jason who is no good in the red zone.
  15. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,884 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    There are several reasons Witten isn't a great weapon in the red zone:

1. When not in the Red Zone, Witten gets open on 7 YD In/Outs because the WRs take the coverage 20+ yards down the field. Obviously this doesn't happen in the red zone since the field is shortened.

2. Witten doesn't excel and leaping for catches in traffic like Tony Gonzales...he is more of a 'square up in space' player meaning he needs to get open, turn and have his feet set. Nor is he good at running fades (and Tony can't throw them well).

3. He isn't a RAC guy who can catch the ball at the 5 yard line and take it the rest of the way.
  16. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,376 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    The Browns double teamed Witten AND Dez in the Redzone almost every single play. What I want to know is what does Romo have against Miles this season? He either has no faith in him to beating single coverage or he isnt reading defenses the way he should be.

ESPN actually showed a break down of 3 consecutive plays in the red zone as well. All 3 they showed the EXACT same coverage and Romo locked onto Witten once and Dez twice on the 3 plays.
  17. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    Just guessing, but I'd say it's the offensive line. I haven't even looked at the numbers, nor do I have the time to, but I'd guess if someone did, they would see that Witten doesn't get to run routes in the redzone as much because he is having to stay in to help w/protecting Romo.
  18. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    jason whitten is a ring of honor, future hall of famer. He is the grit of this team and the modern day Mr Cowboy. He is not padding his stats or dodging contact. He is the best tight end in cowboy history bar none. You people are killing me.
  19. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,543 Messages
    2,607 Likes Received
    Who led the team in red zone TD last year?

Robinson 8
    Bryant 5
    Witten 3
    Austin 4

How many red zone TD does his replacement have so far this year?

Ogletree 1
  20. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Did you seriously say Witten ws no good? Or is this another tongue in cheek thread?