1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cap space if Miles was cut?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Nov 25, 2012.

1. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Anyone have an idea of how much cap space the Cowboys would have if Miles was shown the door? I am thinking they would have somewhere between 30-35 mil to work with.. Am I way off or pretty accurate?
  2. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,535 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    i suck at math so i couldn't tell you the exact numbers, but if i had to guess, i would say the cap space would probably increase by a lot.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    For next year ? Or for the length of his contract ?

He was initially an 8.3M salary next season.
    35M over the course of his contract, but likely the last 2 are voidable.

Depends on whether they moved money to make money room also.
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Oh, well I have no clue how this works since he has already been paid the 18 mil guaranteed .. I was thinking we could just dump him & not have any fall backs, but I need to learn a lot
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,686 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    *retracted*
  6. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm starting to think Miles is a luxary on this team. I wouldn't mind lettin him walk if it was possible. But i'm no financial guru.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    If we cut him we'd still be paying him a decent amount and sure he's hurt a lot but on the field he's a weapon and there's no out about that so we keep him.
  8. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    The bottom line is, if cutting Miles saves cap space, it should be done.
  9. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I agree, what are we really losing here if he's cut?

He cannot stay healthy and when he is he's still very inconsistent.
  10. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

885 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    If it is a significant number, then yes. Otherwise I'll let him stay for one more year.
  11. remdak

remdak Active Member

202 Messages
    70 Likes Received

Wasn't Austin's contract the reason the Cowboys lost cap space when Goodell took it away? They frontloaded his contract with a huge salary for the 1st year. It may be fairly cap friendly now.
  12. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have been thinking the same thing. Dez looks like he is a true #1. After seeing Harris and Beasley flourish on Turkey day, I wouldn't mind going forward with Dez 1, Harris 2, and Beasley 3. Besides, Witten has always been our #2, right?
  13. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    No, they paid his entire bonus up front. His first 2 years under the new contract are a little over 2M. Next season it goes up to around 8.3.

However, I do not remember if he got restructured to create more cap room. Which would be spread out and create a cap hit.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Agreed. He is a luxury to have, but on a team that is really lacking in playmakers, I think you keep him around.
  15. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Is he really a luxury when he's taking up cap space that can be used on a better player?
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    That's why I agreed that if the savings are big you let him go. If you cut him to save 700k then what's the point?

I swear some times people are so quick to argue they don't read whole posts.
  17. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Don't quote me on this, but someone posted the numbers here a week or so back and the cap savings were something like $5m. If true, I think he has to go.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Well if that's the case then yes I agree. He's not a 5 mil a year luxury :laugh2:
  19. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,434 Messages
    2,789 Likes Received
    How many snaps has he played this year and what is his production. Look at that independently from his contract/cap first. Can you replace him next year? Can you afford to not have him on the team if he can play 60-80% of expected snaps? Then integrate that with his contract/cap if you can do without him and see how you benefit.

The easiest way to replace him and perhaps the only way is to sign a vet FA who can come in and pick up the system early enough to mesh with Romo. You cannot go into the season with just Dez and some other guys. That is not enough depth and it will likely hurt the O too much esp considering injuries are going to happen.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    See, with a guy like Tony, I think you can win with a stud and a bunch of guys. Guys you know are going to be where they're supposed to be and catch the football. Miles is wildly inconsistent, both in getting on the field and making plays when he is on it. I think continuity and consistency in a WR corps is just as important as having a bunch of big time playmakers. Look what the Pats have always done, what Peyton is doing in Denver, Brees in NO, Randall Cobb in GB...heck even Laurent and to a lesser extent Crayton in Dallas. Those guys don't have a ton of explosive playmakers, but they have guys who get where they're supposed to be, and QBs who can get them the football. We have one of those QBs and could do similar things.