1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cap space if Miles was cut?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    Maybe Beasley and Harris aren't just some other guys. I've been saying for a while we need another quality WR but maybe we don't after all.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What would Jerry do with the money? If last season is any indication, not much. (Carr notwithstanding).
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,542 Messages
    5,468 Likes Received
    We signed our own and Carr and there wasn't anything left.
  4. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agree 10000%.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,857 Messages
    4,422 Likes Received
    U cannot run this offense with "guys". U need at least three good receivers who can run the tree properly. Four would be great. Otherwise you are not likely to be pleased with the results. There are reasons Harris and Beasley are only playing due to injury. That's not saying they can't be what we need.

While I too believe people can step up when opportunity arises generally they have to be prepared for it. Colleges are running more pro offenses and QBs and receivers come into the league better prepared but it often takes time to learn to play WR in the NFL.
  6. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,620 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

we would be even worst than this season
  7. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I wanted him to be cut since last season, so if it even helps our cap space, get it done Jerry.

Too much money for someone who doesnt produce enough.
  8. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    SO what if Dez turns out to nothing then what

some one please tell me how many games has Austin missed ????????
  9. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    We can't even find a real 3rd WR, now we want to get rid of our 2nd? I'd hold onto him for another season.
  10. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,228 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    It's all about money. Figure that replacing Miles with a #2 would probably take a 6-8 million bonus and probably around 1 million in base salary. So if you don't save at least 3 million or so you would actually be paying to replace Miles with someone who is likely a lesser player. If you are saving more then 3 million then you have to think about what else you could do with that money. I sorta doubt that cutting and replacing Miles with a decent #2 would save enough money to make it worth it. I do think that Miles is someone that we should look at cutting when the math makes sense because he is injury prone.
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,050 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    What better player?
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Greg Jennings is a FA but I have my concerns about him since he missed three games last year and has missed most this year with a groin injury.

Guess what does not matter if they are more talented they just need to be good and healthy because Miles has been not healthy for three years now so all that talent is worthless and he has missed on big plays and part of that i think is the injuries have robbed him of that extra gear he use to have.
  13. Gossamer

Gossamer Member

172 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the better question would be -- How many games has Austin played in from start to finish without being (rubbed, stretched, examined, bicycled, carted-off, jogged to locker-room, x-rayed, etc.)?

And now that I've asked the question, I'm not sure that I really want to know the answer?
  14. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

308 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    ^^^ i agree too! Beasley has the tools to turn into a wes welker type player and Harris proved he can catch the ball when needed! I say can miles!
  15. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    He's been on pace for 1,100 to 1,200 yards this year. What "guys" are going to replace that production?
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,954 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    i think some of you really need to stop playing madden. Austins contract is super friendly and the talk about getting somebody better is laughable. cause the wrs that are better are locked up in contracts. PLEASE put madden away
  17. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    After one game you're ready for Harris to be our #2 WR? Wow.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    No sense in cutting him. Not going to save a whole lot and Dallas is being penalized 5M for writing his contract the way they did.
  19. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I am not interested in getting someone better at WR, I am interested in fixing the o-line & d-line so we don't have to throw the ball 40-60 times like we have had to 6 times this season b/c we can't get a dang thing on the ground.. If cutting Miles saves millions of $$$'s then I am for it to fix more important holes..
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Off by a factor of 10X.

Looks like if you cut him you take an immediate cap hit of like 4.5M for the remainder of his guaranteed money.

His number is like 8.3M this year.

So you save like 3.8M or abouts.