1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cap space if Miles was cut?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Nov 25, 2012.

1. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Exactly. It's not just the games he misses...it's the quarter of a game here...the half game there....and the many times he's not any good because he's trying to run on a bad hammy or play through some other ailment.

He had a little window for a couple of season...but he's just not all that anymore. He's simply not an explosive player anymore.

I'd release him...even if I had to roll with even a second-teir (cheap) FA...or middle round draftee.
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,280 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    To think, some of you who are talking about Austin getting cut have the nerve to complain about JJ being a GM. SMH
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,072 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I'm starting to become sick and tired of his proneness to injuries. Although Romo hung him out to dry on that play where he got hurt.
  4. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,619 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Miles Austin is a money vacuum. Since he signed the big contract he has had ONE big game performance for the the Cowboys - against the 49ers last season. Other than that one performance... bupkis. JAG, JAG, JAG - when he's not nursing hammies and can ACTUALLY play.

I say, 'Goodbye to Miles Austin. Fare thee well.
    '
  5. Gossamer

Gossamer Member

172 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, I guess you're trying to say that Miles has lived up to the contract that we've signed him to?

In 2012 (so far) -- 49 receptions for 727 yards in 11 games? and 4 touchdowns?

In 2011 (in 11 games) -- 43 receptions for 579 yards......

He is averaging 66 yards per game -- Lets say that (by some miracle) he doesn't miss any more play time and gets his average -- He'll end up with around 1,057 yards.

He will have averaged 892 yards (per year) over 3 seasons.

You consider this quality production from a #1 wide receiver? If so, what a low expectation level we have as Cowboy fans.

The reason this team has not been able to make progress over time is that Jerry is unable to cut bait when all signs indicate that he should.

There is no GM in this league that would be satisfied with a number 1 wide receiver avergaing 892 yards over 3 seasons.

Forget the name -- Forget the star on the helmet -- This player has not lived up to his contract.

I love Miles Austin but he's not a number 1 and unfortunately we've paid him like he is....

A GM doesn't fall in love with his players. A GM loves his pay-check and is afraid of losing it.

We have a GM that has no fear of losing his job.
  6. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    PLEASE stop with the on pace BS. You know it's BS because he can't finish the season.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    :hammer:

P.S. it's amazing how good OL play can make your WR's look better than they actually are. Build the OL and guys like Harris, Beasley and even Dez will look better.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    If we keep Austin next year his cap hit will be 8.302 million.
    If we cut Austin the cap hit will be due to his signing bonus 4.710 million.
    That's a savings of 3.592 million if we cut Austin.

Now think about that, we now create another need to replace Austin, who is that going to be and how much will they cost? Might not make any sense in cutting Austin, yes he has issues staying 100% all season but cutting only creates another hole.
  9. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    If these numbers are correct, I'm definitely cutting ties.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Straight out cutting him would make Jerry look like an even bigger fool.

Dallas should consider shopping Austin and Ratliff only if they are able to draft suitable replacements in April. Unfortunately, there is no one on the roster to replace either player so draft picks for the 2013 draft are out of the question.
  11. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which means if we cut him in june and spread the cap hit out over two years it would be about 5million free next year but lose 2million from the 2014 cap
  12. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    If cutting Austin is a possibility, the Boys should try dangling him in in the offseason to see what they could get for him. They're still going to take a cap hit, so might as well come up with a 3rd or 4th rounder for it.

Another possibility would be to ask Miles to take a pay cut. Sit him down and tell him that he is unreliable and the team cannot continue to invest that much on someone whose hamstrings are alway ailing. Its not two different injuries, it is those hamstrings over and over again. If Austin won't knock his salary down, then the Boys should send him packing. But they should try to get him to take a reduced salary because they have already paid him a large sum of money for two ineffective years. He should realize that if cut, he will not get a big money contract anywhere else.
  13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is worthless in a trade no one is taking on the 7+ million in base salary.

Getting guys to take pay cuts rarely work out because it hurts their egos so they end up getting cut. Then end up signing for less than if they had reduce their salary on the current team but pride gets in the way way to often.
  14. supercowboy8

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    No if we cut him after June then you spread the 4.71 over two years. So that will be a savings of 5.947 next year but still have a cap hit of 2.355 in 2014

Also we have to look at cutting Free.
  15. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,547 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    With Dez stepping up and Ogletree hopefully getting cut, doing the same with Austin seems to be overkill. He may be overpaid but until you have someone clearly step up your a just creating another hole on the team. It's better to phase him out than just pull the trigger and hope someone steps up.
  16. supercowboy8

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    They are correct, but you cut him and save just 3.59 million. Who replaces him for just 3.59 million. We dont have a #3 wr much less a #2. We have several other holes and needs than to just waste money and create another hole.

Anyone know how many games he will miss? I guess we should cut Carter, Lee, and Murray too.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    4,875 Likes Received
    Where did you get these numbers?

The numbers that I see are:
    9/9/2010: Signed a seven-year, $57.168 million contract. The cap-conscious deal contains $18 million guaranteed -- no signing bonus but all of Austin's whopping $17.078 million first-year base salary. 2012: $1.15 million, 2013: $6.732 million, 2014: $5.5 million, 2015: $6.888 million, 2016: $11.38 million, 2017: Free Agent
  18. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,026 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    This. It's a no brainer if cutting Miles saves over 3mil on the cap. We have a whole at WR with him on the roster. Might as well save the money.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    i hope you're being sarcastic.
  20. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I don't know....AN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN?