1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cap space if Miles was cut?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,517 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    The 3.5m doesn't have to buy a player by itself. It can go TOWARDS a player.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    So now you spend more money then what we are saving on a WR that you dont know if he can play as good as Miles
  3. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Spotrac.com, that above is the original contract but there was an option Dallas used the restructure option witch turned 2013 into a signing bonus. Looking up, just Google miles austin contract spotrac and you can see it all
  4. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    So who replaces Austin
  5. SDCowboy85

14,517 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    Who said it has to go towards a WR?
  6. SDCowboy85

14,517 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    Beasley or Harris? Neither are world beaters but at least they could be reliable WRs that actually see the field.
  7. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Can they be, are they, what have they proved. This is stupid, im not against cutting Miles but you better hqve a plan and sorry but i dont trust Beasley and Harris to take over the same production as miles right now. One game doesn't show me enough for those two right now.
  8. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I don't see why we would cut miles and create dead space. He's a good player...

Who is going to replace him?

Why do we need cap room? When has cap room been an issue?

And finally; why wouldn't you cut Free and use that cap room before Austin?
  9. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Austin is having a good year, and people want to cut him because he has a hip injury. Players get hurt, its football. He cap number is high and I hope he restructures his deal and stays but we just cant cut playera and think some guy xan take his place. We tried that with the OL.
  10. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Maybe Laurent Robinson will be available as a #2, at a much affordable price.

This #2 WR position is so overblown. Patrick friggin' Crayton was the #2 in 2007 when we went 13-3.

Why did we go 13-3? We ran the dang ball and had a dominating offensive line. The defense wasn't anything special. Until Dallas gets stronger in the trenches, we'll continue to see 6-10, 8-8, 9-7, etc.

If we have a TRUE #1, which I think Dez can do, it will make things a lot easier.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received

He is no longer a playmaker. An occasional good catch mixed with drops and injuries. I would rather invest his salary in someone who can block for Romo.
  12. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    So jacksonville is going to take a 9 million cap hit and release Robinson and Dallas should replace Miles with a guy who has had 4 concussions in one year and is probably going to be put on IR.

Now I do agree with you on the run game and we need to fix the OL but cutting miles isnt going to fix the OL. Cutting Free and finding good players in the draft is how you fix the OL. Also have you or any one else looked wr the future free agent OGs and Centers, there are really going to be any.
  13. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Who you goimg to get for the 3.5 million to block for Romo. Free is playimg far worse than Austin and will be cut, that's enough dead money.
  14. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Crazier things have happened. I think Robinson does get cut.

Cutting Miles DOES help to fix the OL because it frees up cap space to address the OL in free agency. This organization cannot solely depend on the draft for the OL.
  15. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    If we had good enough coaching, we wouldn't need to high-priced WR's. Look at what Belichick and the Patriots get by with. They'd slit their wrists before they ever paid a guy like Miles Austin the kind of money we gave him.
  16. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I think everybody is too caught up in the price. Until I see the cap truly restricting this team financially then I don't see the reason to cut anybody based mainly on cap space. I'd rather have less dead money. If they are expensive oh well; it's better than dead money which does nothing at all. Dez is on a rookie contract also so it's really not like we are paying tons of money for two wide receivers. That was Roy Williams.
  17. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Have you seen the OL that will be available. Let's go give 3.5 to a OG that cant play and take away one of romo's targets. There aren't any OGs or Centers for us to get this offseason. There are some tackles available but that means we release Free which will be a 8.35 million cap hit just to release Free. Now you want to add more dead money.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    So it's Austin's turn huh?

OK, well, I can understand why people are upset but I don't know that cutting Miles Austin is the answer. Heck, we have enough problems with Dez, do we really want to draft another WR high and try to bring them along because anybody who thinks we can replace him with what we have is wrong. Anybody who thinks we can bring in a quality WR to plug in for cheaper then what we would have left, minus a cap hit, is wrong. That would leave the draft and well, as everybody has said, we should be drafting OLs, not more WRs.

I would be interested in knowing how many times Austin has been targeted this season? Dez gets the lions share of the targets at WR, we all know that. Is the issue that Miles is not getting open or is the issue that he is not getting targeted? I wonder?
  19. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You have it backwards IMO. You don't build from the skill positions and in like the Cowboys have. You build in the trenches, then work on the skill positions.

Andy Levitre may be available, and he's a very solid interior lineman. Sadly, Free is probably getting one more year because of the dead money. Things have to change on the interior, pronto.

Take away one of Romo's targets? You mean take away the injury-prone WR who's getting paid like a #1 WR but plays like a #2? Oh, THAT guy.
  20. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Look at his stats, he still produces and romo still looks his way. Yes he Is overpaid.
    I'm all for building in the trenches, I was the one that said deaft OL.

Austin has over 700 yards and 49 receptions with out playing the last game. Yes I want him to restructure his deal but cutting fixes nothing.

Levitre is good but he is the only one and he might not even be availble.

Paying big money for a OG is the answer, Levitre is good but sinxe he will be the best availble he will be over paid. We can get a real good starting day one OG in the late first or second round.

You think Free will stay and Miles will get cut. Why? Both will coat a lot and Austin actually produces something. Cutting miles and keeping free really doesn't solve anything, just makes us worse.