1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Carolina fires GM Marty Hurney

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 22, 2012.

1. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,960 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    but enough about Dallas' front office, let's talk about Carolina *zing*
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Well 8-8 isn't losing. The Texans have at least had back to back without losing records. Perhaps that's how I should have worded it.

EDIT: However, I think Atlanta was the only other team at that point with a similar circumstance. The Texan were either 9-7 or 6-10 that year. Can't remember exactly. I know last year they were 10-6.
  3. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

953 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Well if that is the case then Carolina did go back to back without losing records 05-06. The sad thing is the Falcons haven't had back to back winning seasons until Smith came in and they been in the league for 40 years.
  4. SkinsandTerps

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    So perhaps I did mean winning. So them and the Texans. I stand corrected thanks.

That's pretty shoddy for a team that played in a recent superbowl and went to another NFCC game.

Texans lost to the Ravens and it was not a good game...( Flacco and the Ravens are not anything special).
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Not to quibble, but we are both wrong on those parameters. 2009 Houston was 9-7. They were 8-8 the year before in 2008.

Carolina was 11-5 in 2005, then 8-8 in 2006. Then 12-4 in 2008 and 8-8 in 2009.

Either way, not near good enough. I still don't see firing him in Mid season when they can't really go after a suitable replacement. Maybe they hire within.
  6. SkinsandTerps

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The only reason to fire him mid-season is to have someone already in mind for the job...or several people. Because headed into the draft a proper GM makes a big difference as opposed to letting him come in after the season and deal with the mess at that point.

Either way it's kind of crappy. Seems like an amicable split from what I have heard though. Those two are really good friends, outside of the game (Owner & Ex-GM).
  7. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,808 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    What? Houston destroyed Baltimore yesterday.
  8. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,963 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    The Browns tried to get RGIII and offered a similar deal. You can't really question them for not sweetening the deal anymore than the Redskins. That was a massive deal. Fortunately for Washington it appears to be working out.

With that said, I wonder if RG III would be experiencing the same levels of success in Cleveland as he has in Washington. The Shannahan duo seem to know how to get the best out of RGIII.
  9. SkinsandTerps

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Last year in the playoffs. Geez.

But you make my point that Baltimore is nothing special.
  10. SkinsandTerps

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The Redskins were not a bad team last year. They simply were not a good team. Defense was solid, lacked offensive weapons. They addressed those and tried to fill the OL and secondary holes.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,636 Messages
    2,017 Likes Received
    Carolina needed a change at the top. Maybe not midseason, but they did need it.

Nevertheless, from the last formal decade..ending 2010, here are the teams they had a record as good as or better than:

Washington
    Atlanta
    San Francisco
    St Louis
    Arizona
    Tampa Bay
    Buffalo
    Cleveland
    Cincinatti
    Jacksonville
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Oakland
    Detroit

they were two games behind Chicago and three behind Dallas.
  12. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

953 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Redskinds did add veterans like Garcon and Morgan to help out the passing game and RG3 is benefitting from Morris. I don't think he would do as well in Cleveland.

Mike is really running RG3's playbook which makes it easier for him. So it is more of Mike knowing what system RG3 would be best in at the moment in my view.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,815 Messages
    7,194 Likes Received
    Meaningless. A GM is a glorified Athletic Director.
  14. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,130 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Can we fire ours?? Oh wait....