1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Carolina Panthers Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,073 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Rd 1 - 014 - Panthers trade their first round pick to the NY Jets for the Jets 1st round pick (#25), the Jets 2nd round pick (#59) and the Jets 5th round pick (#164)

Rd 1 - 025- (from Jets) Jon Beason LB, Miami

BIOGRAPHY: Former fullback who moved to linebacker as a sophomore and has started the past two seasons. Led the team in tackles as a senior posting 76/8/1.5, also intercepting one pass. Junior totals included 64 tackles. Competes on the school.s track team.

POSITIVES: Terrific athlete with a good degree of upside potential. Breaks down well, plays with excellent balance and is rarely off his feet. Explosive up the field, slides laterally to make plays and is effective in pursuit. Takes good angles to the action.

NEGATIVES: Easily handled at the point once engaged in a block, and is very slow to get back to playing form off the initial hit.

ANALYSIS: Showing a lot of ability during his short time as a starting linebacker, Beason has the size and speed to be a starter on the weak side.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/5584.html

Rd 2 - 045 - Dwayne Jarrett WR, USC

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter and All-Conference selection as a junior after posting 70/1,015/12. Sophomore totals included career numbers of 91/1,274/16.

POSITIVES: Clutch receiver with outstanding size and consistent hands. Fluid releasing off the line, uses his large frame to box out opponents and snatches the ball from the air,. Gets vertical and out-muscles defenders for the jump ball. Nicely uses the sidelines.

NEGATIVES: Slows into breaks, displaying choppy footwork running routes. Unnecessarily body catches at times, has lapses in concentration and will drop some catchable throws. Needs to pick up the intensity of his blocking.

ANALYSIS: A receiver who can be a dominant force on the field when focused, Jarrett has all the tools to be a number-one wideout at the next level. Does not possess the field-stretching speed and needs to concentrate on the details of his position yet offers a lot of skills.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/21689.html

Rd 2 - 059 - (from Jets) Ryan Kalil C, USC

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors after his junior and senior campaigns.

POSITIVES: Improving center who watched his game take off last season. Explodes off the snap, quickly gets his hands into opponents and plays hard until the whistle blows. Jolts opponents at the point and redirects to linebackers on the second level.

NEGATIVES: Not a true dominator in the middle of the line and has difficulty finishing blocks. Must improve his lower-body strength, as he does not consistently anchor in pass protection.

ANALYSIS: An intelligent blocker who works hard in all aspects, Kalil offers a terrific understanding of the game. Using all his tools to their maximum, he could develop into a starter at the next level as he adds bulk and strength to his frame.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/19677.html

Rd 3 - 083 - Charles Johnson DE, Georgia

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors last season as a junior after producing 44/19/9.5. Sophomore totals were 23/8.5/4.

POSITIVES: Forceful defensive lineman who makes a lot of plays up the field. Plays with excellent pad level, displays quickness in his overall game and is rarely off his feet. Double-teamed by opponents, flashes power at the point of attack and pushes blockers off.

NEGATIVES: Lacks instincts and misdiagnoses the action. Marginal speed in pursuit or laterally to the flanks. Must develop more moves to get off blocks.

ANALYSIS: A productive lineman who has shown major improvement the past two seasons, Johnson is a nasty defender who gives a lot of effort on the field. Lacks great size, yet does enough things well that he could develop into a starter on the left side.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/11081.html

Rd 4 - 118 - Ryne Robinson WR, Miami(OH)
    Rd 5 - 155 - Dante Rosario TE, Oregon
    Rd 5 - 164 - (from Jets) - Tim Shaw LB, Penn State
    Rd 6 - 191 - Traded to Greenbay
    Rd 7 - 226 - C.J. Wilson CB, Baylor
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    love this draft as well
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Ditto. I think they may have gotten a sleeper in Ryne Robinson WR Miami(Ohio).

The kid was a heck of a returner.

Now the 4th may have been too high to take him but I tell you I did not realize how weak this draft class was until it started.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Grade: A+

Panthers got three top flight players. I was actually slightly perturbed by the Cowboys trading back and not taking Ryan Kalil considering he don't have a backup center. I think Kalil can be a starter from the get go for most teams on the league and will become a pro-bowler in the future.

The Panthers had one of the best drafts if not the best.
  5. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Panther had by far the best rounds 3-7. I'm not sold on either of their first two picks but Kalil is solid value, Johnson has a chance to be special, Robinson was one of my favorite 2nd day players and Shaw was my favorite day 2 guy.