1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Carson Palmer Being Traded Means....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Jan 24, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,972 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    As if there were any doubt that Cam Newton was going top 8 already.

However if the Bills or someone else takes Newton before the Bengals even have a shot at him, then Gabbert goes to Cincy, then maybe someone has to take Locker or Mallet before they want to b/c the top QB's are then going quickly. Then the Browns can take AJ Green

Hows about:

1. Panthers - Nick Fairley
    2. Broncos -Dequan Bowers (Fox gets his Peppers clone)
    3. Bills - Cam Newton
    4. Bengals - Blaine Gabbert
    5. Cardinals - Robert Quinn
    6. Browns - AJ Green
    7. SF - Jake Locker/Ryan Mallet
    8. Titans - Locker/Mallet/Dareus
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I look at it a bit differently; if Palmer is traded the chances are he goes to a lesser team like those found in the Top 8. If any one of those teams takes Palmer it frees them up to take a non-QB with its selection.

In fact, if I'm one of these teams, I think that's the safest option because outside of Andrew Luck, there is no other "sure thing" at the position. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking any one of the remaining QBs in the Top 10.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Hopefully a team like Miami or Minn trades for him. That could potentially work out well for us.
  4. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    would the Bills take Cam Newton over Gabbert ?

Chan Gailey is not going to be around long enough to see their QB of the future in his prime and in order for Newton to develop he'll need an offense like Gailey's. IF they take a QB, which I doubt very very much, it would be for their next head coach and Gabbert would be that player because he's a classic drop back QB, meaning whomever comes after Gailey wouldn't have to design a system around him.

Robert Quinn would be the logical choice for them. Not only would if it fill an immediate need, he'd make an immediate impact for their 3-4.

Now, there's a possibility that the Cards might trade for Palmer, but it wouldn't be for this year's #1 since Carson's stock is not too high, so they would still take Gabbert. Robert Quinn doesn't have much of a role on that defense since they already have 2 very good DE's and they run a 4-3.

Oh, and the 49rs might take Locker ( who is a natural fit with Harbaugh ), providing they don't bring back Alex Smith, but there's no way they take Mallett.
  5. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Interesting post and I would love for you to elaborate a little. In my opinion, Except for Arizona, Carson Palmer would not help turn around any of the teams in the top 8 and has a limited shelf life. I can see Palmer heading to the Seahawks or 49ers if they can work out a reasonable deal.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,912 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    the skins will take him with their 2nd rounder:lmao:
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    The Arizona Cardinals want Cam Newton really badly, someone has told me (and all of you if you've been paying attention ;))
  8. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,972 Messages
    136 Likes Received

http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/depthchart?team=ARI

They run a 3-4. Clark Hagans and Joey Porter at OLB. Nuff said.

As for Cam Newton the Bills, Bengals, Cards, and the Skins are probably all over him. Wouldnt even shock me if Washington trades up to #1 to take him
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,036 Messages
    2,266 Likes Received
    Cardinals should be all over this one.

Palmer had 1 bad year and they are willing to trade him? If I didn't have a QB i'd take my chances.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Maybe I am nuts, but after watching many Missouri games, the fact that Blaine Gabbert is a first round pick is somewhat mind boggling to me. Because I said that, he will probably be a HOF QB.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Unless the Bengals want to continue their cheap ways and go with Dan Lefevour who is already on their roster. Trade for a cheap QB or wait until later in the draft to address the QB situation.

I am not sure they want to take a QB high in the draft and pay a huge amount of money after doing it with Palmer and Akili.
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,317 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I SERIOUSLY don't see Ryan Mallet going top ten.
  13. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So, that leaves Dallas with...Mark Ingram? No way they take Patrick Peterson in this situation. Haha. Just kidding.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Me either. I think people are caught up wishful thinking hoping to push a better player down.

If McNabb is available, I'm willing to bet he gets a job with one of those teams people seem to think would prefer to draft a QB, my guess is the Cardinals. The Eagles willing to trade Kolb may also fill up one of those slots.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Palmer being traded really could help.
    Cam Newton is a total wild card. I bet at least half the teams don't have Cam rated in the top 2 rounds. Maybe 1/4 have him rated 1st round material. And there may be another 1/4 who have him top 10.

So it really depends on both team needs AND how they rate him.

The Bengals have enough parts in place that they may not want to throw the towel in with a rookie QB in round 1....let alone be one of the 25% who think CaM is top 10 material.

I sure hope they are though.
  16. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice Mock. I see neither Peterson nor Prince are in there. lol
    No bias at all huh? Dallas will get to pick and choose? :p:
  17. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    I'll believe that Carson Palmer is traded, when I see it. This isn't the NBA where a player can dictate that they be traded (or not traded to NJ :) ), If I'm the Bengals, let him retire if he wants and I'll draft Andrew Luck next year
  18. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yeah. Let Carson retire and play the towl boy at QB. That should ensure they lose every game and lock up Luck.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how you can say "Palmer would not help turn around any of the teams in the top 8."

I'm not a big fan of Carson Palmer, but if I'm one of the teams in front of Dallas that thinks its closer to competing than rebuilding, such as the Titans, 49ers or even Arizona, I'm looking at a known commodity like Palmer versus gambling on a guy like Mallet, Newton or Gabbert.

If Palmer becomes available, he automatically becomes the best QB on the market (via draft, FA, trade...).

Palmer, 31, likely affords a team a solid 3-5 years of play. A team like the 49ers would seem to be a great fit; they have a solid defense; parts on offense (WR, TE, RB and retooled OL); all they need now is a consistent performer at the QB position.

Besides QB, one of the 49ers greatest needs is at cornerback. Trading for Palmer would allow them to secure one need (QB) and afford them the chance to address another need.

That is a much better alternative then saying "we need a QB and CB, where/who should we draft them?" Again, you get a known commodity in Palmer and someone who can step in and produce immediately.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Tennessee and SF are top 8 teams?

I agree that he may be able some teams, but maybe not in the top 8.

Also--Palmer now does not at all equal Palmer a few years ago.

Here's some trivia--2010 season passer rating (which I know is not the tell-all, but still):
    18) Jason Cambell = 84.5
    19) Carson Palmer = 82.4
    20) Kerry Collins = 82.2
    21) Alex Smith = 82.1