1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Carter benched at WLB for Ernie Sims

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nation, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,012 Messages
    9,093 Likes Received
    I don't know if I agree with that. I mean, you could be right and this could be very bad. But it could also be a message. I don't care who you are, you perform or lose your job. Carter might answer that well and we could look at this decision as a positive.

Having said that, I'm not exactly excited to see Ernie Sims starting.
    jobberone likes this.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,934 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Nah, but I thought he gave up on the second one, for sure. Looked like just stopped running.
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,140 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Carter has not played with any consistency this year and he has had truly awful moments this year but i am hoping this is temporary and a kick in the butt for him.
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    The message they are sending is simple. You are sucking. Enjoy the bench.

When you get benched for Ernie Sims, it's not good. Period.

But spin away.
    CyberB0b likes this.
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,709 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Cowboys may be throwing curveball at Denver and playing their fastest LB corps with Sims, Lee and Carter together. With Durant hobbled we will see either Carter or Sims at SAM. Carter makes more sense at SAM due to his size and pass rush ability. For all his speed, Carter is not at his best when in coverage, he is a downhill player.

Sims needs to play WILL (or even in the box safety like Cam Chancellor) so he does not have to battle OL. Sims is always going 1000% but his size and injury history requires him to be protected for him to be at his best.
  6. ccb04

ccb04 Active Member

239 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    The above is the disappointing part to me.

I do think the players need time to adjust as well though. They're 4 regular season games into a new scheme. I also think it's time the players are held accountable regardless of draft status, etc. Carter acknowledged that he was all over the place, didn't properly read his keys, wasn't focused, etc.

Marinelli ran the same scheme in Chicago last year with an injured/old MLB, no elite safety, etc...and they led the league in defensive TD's, were at or near the top in forced turnovers, were top 10 vs. the run & in sacks, and finished 3rd in the league in points allowed at 17.3 ppg. So the scheme can certainly still be effective.

The guy I initially wanted to see brought in as DC was Ray Horton. In terms of the current defensive staff, I really like Marinelli...and if sticking with this scheme longer-term, I wouldn't mind seeing him eventually take over the entire defense.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    That was my feeling when it went down. I imagine the idea was that Marinelli would be promoted when Kif was done. Still that defense has fallen out of vogue for a reason.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. lane

lane The Chairman

10,891 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    ernie is about the only hardcore straight out andre johnson beating finnegan player we got.

bring it on.
    DuceizBak likes this.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,236 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    He's quoting me, only I wasn't spinning the move as a positive in the first place.
  10. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,479 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    I just rewatched the ALL22. What is noticeable is the hustle Simms played with compared to carter. Simms was running all out to the ball even if he was tackled. He was selling out diving to tackle and fighting blocks

Since carter was on first I didn't have the initial comparison. I just thought he was out of the play and slow jogged. He seemed to not be on the ground around the tackle like Lee and sims. It also seeemed like he may have missed a couple screen RB coverages. Seemed too close to Lee and his flat was wide open.

The last TD, he mailed it right as woodhead mad the cut. He was beat and running wouldn't have mattered but it was noticeable difference in how Simms fought to the whistle.

That said. Whether this is a message or not, Simms earned some time.

Not shockingly, Claiborne was much worse of an offender.

Hatcher, selvie and Wilcox also stood out as hustling. Selvie going out was noticeable
  11. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Quite the lack of football knowledge you have there.. impressive.
  12. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,371 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Because 948-year-old Larry Lacewell told Jerry it would be a great idea.
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,414 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Carter being the new Derrick Brooks had to be something dreamed up by Jerry who thought Quincy Carter would be the Cowboys Donavan McNabb and who just touted Dunbar a couple of weeks ago as our Darren Sproles. :rolleyes: I would like to know who he or anyone else in the organization thinks is going to be our new Warren Sapp, John Lynch and Ronde Barber? Other than Ware possibly being better than Simeon Rice in this scheme I don't see where the other parts are. Even though Lee had a pick-six last week he hasn't looked like the same player in this scheme.
  14. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,520 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Give me a break on Lee. He is on pace for 140 tackles and several ints. I'm sorry, but that's fantastic production.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,012 Messages
    9,093 Likes Received
    Carter needing to be benched isn't a positive. Starters needing to perform to stay on the field is. That's all I'm saying.

What, did I now go from Mr. Negative to a team spin doctor?
  16. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,211 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Players should get benched if they are not performing. I have no issue with this at all. Playing football should be treated as a meritocracy, not an entitlement.

If Carter and Claiborne are the players the organization think they are, they will use this as motivation, bounce back and improve from this. If they don't bounce back, then they really did need to be replaced.
    visionary likes this.
  17. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I don't think Carter should be lumped in with claiborne..he's had a bad game true and we need to light a fire under his butt...but he's been playing decent aside from the chargers performance
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,653 Messages
    2,192 Likes Received

thank you for oyur posts
    very informative

not what we want to hear about Mo and carter but informative
  19. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,414 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    He's looked lost in coverage at times he was caught completely out of position on one of Alex Smith's TD passes in week 2 and although he had a pick-six last week he appeared to get beat for another TD. He's been caught out of position on a number of plays.
  20. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

303 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Not like Sims is a scrub. He was a combine warrior (4.5 40)whom never put in the work. Drafted 9th overall in 2006 by our own Rod Marinelli. If he still has the ability and has picked up the work ethic, he could very well be the starter for awhile..