1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Carter in recent article - JJT I believe

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Nors, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For a portion of the summer, Carter did yoga to improve his flexibility. At least twice a week he gets deep tissue massages from his chiropractor to break up scar tissue and invigorate his muscles, and he receives a Swedish massage at least once a week.

He has also worked on his mechanics and footwork to improve his accuracy. Carter, who completed 57.8 percent of his passes last season, wants to connect on at least 60 percent this season.

But it's improved decision-making that will make Carter a more efficient quarterback.

Last season, Carter threw 21 interceptions – one of the NFL's highest totals in the NFL. Thirteen occurred when he was scrambling.

"This year, when I'm running, I'm running," he said, "and when I'm throwing, I'm throwing."

If he reduces the turnovers and follows Parcells' request to be a "bus driver," then Carter's anonymity will fade, replaced by accolades and attention.

This is his key to opening it up, when it breaks down just go ala McNABB. He in my opinion has resisted running trying to maintain a Pocket QB persona. Sounds like the coaches are telling him to keep the defense honest. Great insight as QC and players always coach speak...........
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Should be interesting to see if there will be a discernable difference between Quincy in 03 and Quincy in 04.

In just 3 short seasons, he is already tied for 3rd all-time for the most interceptions thrown in a single season (21).

If he can just bail the defense out a little more while also cutting down on turnovers he will be just fine.

- Mike G.
  3. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What were Vinnie's inters first 3 to 4 years? Troys?
    Vinnie had a few teams give up on him before he righted it and now at 41 he's the answer?

Oh brother.
  4. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Answer is he sat as rookie

32 and 22 interceptions year 2 and 3.
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I am pretty much in QC's corner. I think responses like these are what turns your fellow fans off to Carter, which is very unfortunate.

I dont know vinnie's stats, but Aikman's first 3 years were horrible. He didnt throw more TDs than INTs until his 4th Season and he had alot more talent to work with. He also, like most of his career struggled to stay healthy early on.

But....

This is 2004 not 1989, we are talking about Quincy Carter, not Aikman. Why do I have to criticize Aikman or some other QB before I have the right to criticize Carter?

- Mike G.
  6. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Great response Mike, I think the guys get so used to arguing over this crap, that it has become almost a reflex.

For this team to improve on last years performance. The really need for the O-line, running backs and qb to perform at a higher level.
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You went after a 3rd year QB that threw 21 inters. Didn't mention he helped team to a 10-6 season and how his passing yards stacked up?

Dish it and all I did was retort.
  8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,293 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    I remember Carter talking about how he was free to run in the new offense last year when camp opened.

He didn't run.

I also know that Sean Payton supposedly worked with Carter this off-season about how to avoid impulse plays outside the pocket, his biggest obstacle.

We won't know until Q starts playing if he's actually able to change the way he plays.

And I don't think he's ever going to be considered a threat on the ground.

Carter's never broken a run of 20 or more yards in his career.

But he doesn't have to be a big time running threat to become a better player.

Carter just needs to do a better job of avoiding impulse passes when on the move, instead taking whatever his feet can get him, and also not being hesitant to take an open running lane if it opens in front of him on a pass play.

I felt like defenses ended up treating Carter as a pocket passer last year. Despite his mobility, Q was dropped 37 times, only four other quarterbacks were sacked more often.

Defenses seemed free to rush Carter because their was no running threat behind him and he wasn't going to take off on his own.

Both need to change, IMO.
  9. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Only 3 QB's in Dallas QB history have thrown more than 3302 yards as Quincy did in his 3rd season.
  10. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Nors, no one in this thread has even bashed carter. Mike just pointed out some of the flaws in his performance last season.

EDIT: Now I get it. You are just looking to start one of those long fights. But I thought it was Cowboy in Iraq that liked to get those going?
  11. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,293 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    And if Carter continues improving, and the team finds a decent running game, Q could see his year end total rise to around 3600 yards this year.

Throwing for more than 3300 yards in a broken offense is nothing to sneeze at, IMO.

Things were far from ideal, and while every quarterback must be able to handle adverse situations, prolonged exposure doesn't lend itself to success.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nors, you still fail to realize what I am trying to say here:

I am a Quincy Carter supporter. I actually like the guy and have met him 2 times because I live in Irving and he shops at the same grocery store as I do :).

Am I not allowed to criticize him? If you think Quincy Carter is being treated bad by Dallas fans, let me refresh your memory:

After a bitter and hard fought playoff game, in which the Boys were blown out, Don Meredith and some others went into a restaurant, and people started to leave, citing, "I dont eat with losers".

Don Meredith was never ever appreciated until he retired because the fans didnt realize what they had in him, until he was gone.

Danny White is still viewed as a loser among many Cowboys fans because he never won the big one. The opposite side of the stat I gave you about Carter, White threw the most TDs in club history (29) in a single season. Hell, during and after the strike, the fans wanted the replacement Quarterback Kevin "From Heaven" Sweeney to start for the boys because they hated White so much, a Replacemnt player?

Did you attend any games while Aikman was playing? He was booed left and right all the time when he didnt perform up to expectations.

I was born, raised, and still live in Dallas. I know how hard it is to play QB in the city that had the reputation a while back as being "The City of Hate".

Excuse my bad English but...

Quincy aint getting no pass from me...

He will be criticized like all the other Ring of Honor/Hall of Fame/Busts that have come through the Cowpoke organization.

Just like my sig line says, Quincy, "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You"

- Mike G.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    If I could fit that in my sig line...I would.

Nicely said.
  14. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,588 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    Even as a guy that is labeled a angry QC homer, I mus admit you jumped the gun on this one Nors. MG has always seemed to be leveled headed on these QB topics. I think I can verify that he is objective when it comes to QC and swaying toward one QB over the next.
  15. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quincy and this team is totally underrated.

We are a player away from taking this to the house..........
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    :banghead:

Damnit we need some good emoticons again.
  17. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,588 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    What position?
  18. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I hope and pray that you are correct on this presumption.

I think we are headed in the right place, but I dont think we are one player away. We are in a nice position, salary cap wise to make some moves. Why arent we making them if we are only 1 or 2 players away? Which positions are not questions marks (the position besides the one player away you mentioned)?

I think he we continue to bring in veterans that eat up valuable playing time from our youngsters, we will be in trouble. Let's let Carter, Dixon, Thornton, Jones, Hunter and many others play. Let's see what they bring to the table, so there can be no excuses when we they do not perform up to par.

- Mike G.
  19. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,732 Messages
    347 Likes Received

You are correct. That positon being QB!! :eek:
  20. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As we move to 3-4 capability in 2004, our pass rush was not as bad as adverised. and with Wiley we start creating TURNOVERS.

This team is far more advanced than this board wants to admit!