1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Carter in recent article - JJT I believe

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Nors, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

We are two more years away from contending. Vinnie is 41 and Drew nowhere ready to play.

I hope you are dead wrong. What do you predict our record in 2004 with Carter as QB?
  2. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Now I know that you are just trying to start a cyberfight. I'm outta this thread. :D
  3. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,513 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    Let's fix some of these stats being thrown around here, and put others into perspective.

First Aikman threw more TDs than INTs in his THIRD year, he also raised his QB rating 20 points over his second year.

Yes, Carter's 3302 is 5th alltime behind White 3980, Staubach 3586, and Aikman 3445 and 3304, but Carter needed 505 attempts to get there. White used 533, Staubach 461, and Aikman 473 and 432 respectively.

For perspective Steve Pelluer threw for 3139 yards, 17 TDs, 19 INTs, ran for 314 yards and 2 TDs in 1988. Pelluer did that in 435 attempts.

Also keep in mind that Staubach only played two 16 game seasons. He passed for 3190 on 413 attempts in 15 games in 1978.
  4. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,586 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I would like to agree with you Nors, I just would feel more comfortable if I saw it 3 games in a row. I need to see more TOs by our defense, QC throwing for 250 plus w/ multiple TD games and a rushing attack to wear down defenses, not to mention a defense that is agressive every play and puts some type of fear in an offense.
  5. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received

I don't think Carter will be the starter. My prediction is 9-7. But 7-9 would not suprise me one bit.
  6. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Listen to BP, In many facets he's chosen QC to be his QB, UNDERDOG, Hard worker, can take his heat, hIS "I have a year invested in QC " comment. That Parcells has gone there, I stand back and took notice. Chad is gone, Vinnie is a 41 year old BU, and Drew a crapshoot long term shot.

This team will go deep year 2 PLAYOFFS into Parcells era, with Quincy Carter as OUR QB!
  7. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,586 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I'm just as confident in Qc as you are, but I'm speaking of the team as a whole and just QC. I want 3 straight where I can say we have matured and you can see the team has bought into BP grand scheme of thing. Hard nose defense, grind it out running game, effiecent QB play, and creating more TOs than giving them up. 3 in a row and I'm a believer. For know, I'll take the I don't know approach like BP.
  8. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My bad!!!

He managed to throw just 1 TD more than he did interceptions his third year for an eye-popping 11/10 TD to Interception Ratio in 1991.

Yes, he raised his QB Rating up signifanctly his 3rd year, but how hard is it to improve on a 11 TD and 18 Interception Season (1990), of which he played all but one game the entire season. Especially when you have guys like Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek as your teammates.

And to be fair to Carter, I think Aikman's coaching staff, though they were brand new to the organization was a little bit more compotent than Carter's when he was starting out.

As a person who researches the Boys all the time, I have much respect and admiration for Mr. Troy "8-ball" Aikman, but he had his fault.

- Mike G.
  9. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,246 Messages
    203 Likes Received

Let's not forget the 5th highest passing yards in a season either.
  10. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    The key to Carter's season, in my mind, is how much more he can absorb and execute. Now before I get flamed for questioning QC's intelligence, which is apparently reprehensible around here, keep in mind that his intelligence is not what I am talking about here.

Dallas runs a very, very basic offense. I think alot of that was because they were trying to develop a young QB. Totally understandable. I am sure this is common. Early in the season, QC seemed to run this very well. However, as the season progressed, defenses seemed to catch up. The Cowboys offense didn't.

If QC can execute a more advanced offense, if he knows where he has to go with the ball and can eliminate his impulse decisions, I think the offense can function. I think knowing what you are doing and execution can make up for some of his other shortcomings (accuracy, arm strength, etc.)

Bottom line: QB and offensive play in general were horrendous last year. They need to step it up. They need to be able to score points on a top defense and dictate the play of the game to a certain extent. I don't think offense did that last year.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,079 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    .......I don't know what Nors' problem is of late but it's getting old.
  12. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So is the endless needling of him which I have been as guilty of as anyone.

He is the most good natured poster I've yet to encounter on any sports board. He takes a lot of teasing and doesn't lose it.

But there comes a time when teasing crosses the line into bullying. IMO, you and Mike crossed that line last night. I crossed it the previous night.

Nors isn't the only one gettin old, we three are too.
  13. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great post junk.
  14. Sarge

21,079 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received

................... :D
  15. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LTN, I am curious to know how I crossed the line last night? I didnt insult anyone, I pointed out some things QC needed to work on, and I even talked about how Aikman had some serious struggles early on in his career.

Just read through everything I wrote, and I see nowhere where I crossed the line by bullying someone.

- Mike G.
  16. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    This thread has focused mainly on QC's need to improve his TD/INT ratio which is very important. His running has also been mentioned and I'm really glad to hear him say he's going to make up his mind to either run or throw and then do it. That's what he needs to do. And when he decides to run he needs to tuck the ball (maybe after a pump fake) and turn on the afterburners.

The other thing I want to see out of him is his accuracy. I want to see him hit receivers in stride more often. If he does these three things he will certainly win me over.
  17. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure. Although, he made some bad decisions, like most young QBs do, I dont know if I really want to see him increase the amount of times he takes off out of the pocket. I dont want to see him get injured.

Instead of tucking the ball away more often then not when things break down or his reads are not there, I just would like to see him just get outside the pocket and just throw the ball away. I think he can really cut down on his turnovers if would do that with a little more regularity when things break down, which they always do.

Also, this may be totally way out in left field, but I would kind like to see him develop a pattern of rolling to his left instead of his right. I know alot of QBs tend roll to their right when they scramble for more yards, but he would give himself a better chance because the line is so much better on the left, blocking wise.

- Mike G.
  18. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received

Good points, Mike.
  19. Sarge

21,079 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    Rolling left for a right-handed QB is extremely difficult to do, especially because it calls for one of the most difficult passes to complete for a right handed QB (a reciever breaking left).

I understand your point though, the left side of the line is much better.
  20. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, this is true it is just the natural thing to do when you are right handed. Quincy has great pocket presence with regards to being able to sense when their is pressure coming from his backside. Unfortunately, it tends to rattle him a bit (like most QBs in general) and it makes him through into coverage or force throws.

There was a couple of games, I think the 1st Carolina game was an example of this, where he displayed alot of awareness and actually took off up the middle when he felt the pressure. I wish I could go back and view that game.

- Mike G.