1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Casey Matthews in line to start in Philly

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by DFWJC, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Oh well.
    Sounds like rookie MLB Casey Matthews has already wowed them in Philly....and he's sloted to start at middle linebacker and call the plays. Wow.

I really wanted us to grab this guy in the middle of the draft. Maybe we didn't like him as a 3-4 ILB.
    He's just a ball player who has all of the intangibles. Nice pickup with a 4th rounder.

This makes me pull for Bruce Carter even more. But we may have to wait a year to really know what we have.
  2. Wonderboyromo

Wonderboyromo Well-Known Member

1,122 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    they have a few guys starting at LB that probably should not be starting at LB.
  3. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    Good for us
  4. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    another jerry failure.
  5. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,575 Messages
    699 Likes Received
    Did the OL coach make the call to have the rookie calling the D? lol...
  6. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,066 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    That's because they don't have anyone playing linebacker. Besides, the Eagles do this with a lot of players who aren't even ready to play. Their first round pick last year, Graham, was putrid and they had to put the old guy back in.

Also, what the hell happened to Stewart Bradley? He was their only good linebacker and I remember he broke his arm last year.
  7. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Matthews has the background and the smarts to call a defense. No one questioned that. The questions with him were completely in regard to his athletic ability. By physical standards, he isn't the prototypical MLB and he doesn't have great raw physical talent. If he succeeds it will be by being a student of the game and being mentally prepared.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Looks like Matthews showed up to camp at 245, after struggling with the ability to add weight his entire career. He weighed just 231 a few months ago at the Combine. It's uncanny how those Mathtews Bros. just magically find a way to transform their bodies when their football careers are in jeopardy.

Maybe we can get Carter on "supplements" the Matthews boys are on.
  9. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,429 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    Wow'd them? Have you seen their starting LBs? I'd eat that up with Jason Witten over and over until they play nickel and put a corner on him or something.
  10. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I look forward to Clay's crashing back to earth what with the HGH testing now.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,062 Likes Received
    This is the one area of the team where the Eagles are really questionable. They need Matthews to add some instant impact because their LB group as a whole is pretty ordinary.
  12. Westy

Westy New Member

6 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Philly does not have great LBers right now.. Chaney was a very good MLB last year and for some reason they are moving him to LOLB with their best run stuff Foku going to ROLB
  13. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Matthew brothers.......HGH or roids?
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    .......drafted 2 rounds ahead of Mathews........jeeebus.:cool: Thanks Jerrah....:bang2:
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,977 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    We have Bruce Carter, Sean Lee, and Bradie James .... who cares?
  16. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Seriously.... Carter is going to be LIGHTYEARS better than Casey thats all i know.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Eagles site lists 232.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Probably the same way Tyron Smith put on weight in a short amount of time. But please, continue on with the hatefest and how every single player the Eagles picked up actually sucks.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Going to an official team site for heights and weights is never a good idea...

http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/2011/07/30/casey-matthews-on-the-mike/
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Tryon Smith is still 20 years old and has always had the frame to add more weight.

Casey Matthews has been undersized his entire life. He wasn't highly recruited because of it, and he fell to the 2nd day of the draft because of it. He's probably been weight lifting since he was in his early teens, considering he grew up in a family that revolved around football and he played in one of the most dominant high school football programs in the country (which has its games televised on ESPN).

Yet, somehow, in the last 3 months, he's managed to find a magical elixir for gaining weight that had previously eluded him his entire life.

Just luck I guess.

But, please continue on with your naivety because you're butthurt over the Cowboys offseason. Pardon me, every Eagles player is great and beyond reproach ... even the ones that have served time in a federal pen.