1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Casserly on Tyron vs. Kalil....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,370 Likes Received
    Just an FYI, Charlie was on NFLN and was asked how Kalil compares to Tyron. He said he actually prefers Tyron.

What a gem this guy is. Grand larceny at 9th overall.
  2. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,808 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Kalil is the real deal too. You can't go wrong either way.
  3. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,265 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Agree.

I like Tyron's movement skills better though.
  4. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,370 Likes Received
    That's exactly why Casserly says he prefers Tyron.
  5. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    115 Likes Received

We have to be thankful that Tyron played RT at USC with Kalil playing LT. If Tryon had been the LT at USC, he never would have made it to the 9th pick.
  6. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,556 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    I also like that Tyron's a year and a half younger than Kalil.
  7. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Also, Charley Casserly has Tyron rated number 2 among the last three draft classes at offensive tackle. He only rates Russell Okung ahead of him.

Furthermore, I heard Casserly straight up say that Tyron was a better player coming out of USC last year than Matt Kalil is this year.

Tyron's power was way under-estimated on this forum during last year's draft debates. Smith is an elite run blocker due to his freakish blend of athleticism and power. He displayed that at USC, and he displayed it last year in Dallas. Lane Kiffin gets off the bus running the football, so no wonder he didn't want to move Tyron. Kalil gave him the luxury of keeping Tyron (a great run blocker) at RT. I saw that as a positive. I never saw Tyron playing RT as a negative. Kalil's major knock is core strength, and Tyron was a much better fit at RT in Kiffin's zone running game. It must have been nice to have two top 10 picks book-ending your offensive line.

Anyway, Tyron Smith is the living embodiment of what the star should be (on and off the field). It was an honor to argue for drafting him last year. It was well worth my time, too. Tyron is my second favorite player on the team, and I hold him in very high esteem.

I can't wait to see Tyron's dominant run blocking on the left side. Felix Jones torched Tampa Bay by running behind Smith all night long (on the right side).
  8. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    let's not crown Smith until he's proven he can play LT.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    It only takes half a game of watching Tyron Smith to realize you can go ahead and crown the guy.
  10. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,370 Likes Received
    Yep. It also created the question of why would such a supposed great talent not be able to win the LT job at USC? As if it's an impossibility that a team can have two great tackles on the roster.

This guy is gonna go down as an Emmitt Smith or DeMarcus Ware type selection. It was just nice to hear Casserly confirm how bright the future is for Tyron. Kalil is an absolute beast. When you say Tyron is better, that's really saying something.
  11. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    totally agree with Casserly on this

i think there has been a major misconception on Kalil vs Tyron b/c Kalil played LT and Tyron played RT

if you look back at their times at USC Tyron started early on at RT b/c they had Charles Brown in at LT, and then when Brown went pro and Kalil came in they decided to keep Tyron at RT b/c he was so good there even though they knew he could do LT

they basically felt they had two guys who could each play either RT or LT

unfortunately many people thought that they did it b/c they felt Tyron couldn't play LT and that just isn't true

i think they will both be great pros for many years, but Tyron will be just a tad bit better

as someone said if Tyron did play LT at USC he likely would have been rated one of the 3 best players in the draft last year and gone top 3-5
  12. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I disagree, I don't think teams get caught up on the LT, RT thing in college because everything is a projection and teams often move rushers around. Many college LTs play RT in the NFL and many college RTs play LT in the NFL.

IMO, Tyron Smith went 9th because he didn't have a pro body. He played most of 2010 at 280 and there were questions on whether he could maintain 300 pounds at age 20.

To me Tyron has always been the superior prospect. Both were in the USC freshman class of 2008. In 2008, despite being 17 months younger, Tyron made the active roster, and Kalil redshirted. In 2009, Tyron Smith started at RT and Matt Kalil was his backup (again Tyron was 17 months younger). It wasn't untill 2010 when senior Charles Brown graduated (64th pick I believe) that Kalil began starting in Brown's LT spot.

Tyron has always been the superior athlete, while Kalil had superior size (again 17 moths younger) but one Tyron grows a bit I really think he will be the best OT in the league.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,865 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see how he develops with Woicik guiding him.
  14. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    That's only tells you how bad Free was on the left side.

I want to see him up against the best DE's on the left side before I crown him.
  15. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,370 Likes Received
    Teams absolutely downgrade a college tackle if he's a RT only projection. There isn't a question about that.
  16. Manwiththeplan

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    that's not what I was saying. i was saying that if you play RT, like Trent Williams did teams don't get caught up on what side you play in college. what side you project too maters a ton.
  17. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Smith's lack of experience in playing LT definitely raised some questions around his ability to play the position or, at the very least, about how soon he could transition. So Smith was probably not as attactive to any team that needed a LT that could come in and start at that position from Day 1. This worked to the Cowboys advantage as they had Free penciled in to start at LT last year so they could let Smith play the RT where he had more experience.

I don't disagree that Smith's playing weight also factored into his draft position but I also think his lack of experience at LT helped keep him from being a top five pick. Obviously, the Cowboys felt he had the potential to play LT as they never would have used a top ten pick on a player that could only play RT.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,886 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    If anyone can dig up the old tweet from Broaddus about Tyron Smith working on drills as a LT it can definitely provide some insight on why the Cowboys selected him.

By his account Broaddus said that Smith was even more impressive working as a LT than a RT.

In one of Tyron's first interviews he mentioned that he wanted to be a HOF tackle and was ready to start working with the team.

In training camp during other player interviews you can see Smith working with Houck after practice on his pass pro sets/hand techniques.

The above stuff only reaffirms why you take a guy at 9th that plays RT with the ability to play LT.
  19. Manwiththeplan

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    IMO, Tyron Smith went 9th because of how good the players at the top of the draft were, not because he played RT instead of LT. 2 QBs went in the top 8 as well as Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith. All 6 will be pro-bowl players as well imo at some point.
  20. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BUT Kalil looks like a player the Vikes should be happy to get him