1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CBS: Brandon Weeden could play entire first half

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Brandon Weeden could play entire first half
    by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DAL/dallas-cowboys

Cowboys quarterback Brandon Weeden will start Thursday's game against the Chargers and play as much as a half, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Tony Romo is sitting out as the team manages his comeback from back surgery.

"It’ll be good to be out there with those guys," Weeden said. “We’ve got some great offensive weapons. I’m excited to be able to go out and compete with those guys. It’s the first time with the star on my helmet, and it feels good. It’s very exciting."

Signed in the offseason, Weeden will back up Romo. Caleb Hanie and Dustin Vaughn are the quarterbacks behind Weeden...
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,900 Messages
    4,246 Likes Received
    I think they want him to get all the reps (in camp and preseason games) as they can give him without wearing him out.

They don't have Orton now and there is a good chance (no matter how some might argue it) that Tony will be missing some time this year because of his back issues.
  3. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,226 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Cowboys will do everything they can to ensure Weeden's success in his newfound venue -- I'd totally relish seeing him succeed.
    It won't be surprising in the least if Weeden is called upon to sub for Romo this year. Let's hope he finds big success w/this team.
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,329 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I'm good with this as long as the first team OL is out there as well. We can't afford to have hanie as our backup cause some scrub lineman gets weeden killed
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  5. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,476 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    Alot more interesting than watching Alex Tanney and Nick Stephens. If Weeden doesn't light up the other teams backups I will be concerned.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  6. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,974 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Anyone watched enough of weedon to gave an honest take on what his strengths and weaknesses are and what to expect of him in this offense ?
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,930 Messages
    509 Likes Received

I watched him live once, and a number of times on TV.

The negatives that sood out for me, were his "happy feet" , he seemed to get very nervous in the pocket. Also seemed reluctant to throw the deep ball, when he did he hit Gordon on a huge TD (65 plus yds).
    On the flipside, he has the physical qualities you want in a QB. He throws a really nice ball and accurate when he sets his feet.
    One thing I can surely tell you is that in the game I witnessed his WR's didn't help much. Aside from a very raw Gordon at the time, the rest of that 2012 Browns corps was horrific.
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,851 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Forget Weeden, I want to see the 6-5 kid from West Texas A&M.
  9. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,153 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Some of the worst INTs I've ever seen. In some of these plays he has time and he'll still throw a bad ball.

10. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,476 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    I would expect more contested balls to Dez
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    I like Vaughn a lot. But he's not ready for a roster right now.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,900 Messages
    4,246 Likes Received
    I know it was the browns and I know he was a rook...but a few plays I saw he threw ints and I was wondering what in the world that kid was seeing. I don't know if he just got loony after getting hit or he was just throwing it up with the mentality of what the heck, we are losing anyways so let's pray for a miracle. There was some really really bad throws.
    BigStar likes this.
  13. Zimmy Lives

5,851 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    What can you tell us about? Is he a PS candidate?
  14. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Active Member

469 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    if the team has to see weeden play a lot I fear we are in for a long season
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    You and I know that he has some talent...similar to the level that was found in Tony Romo when he came out of college. I'd say he would be a good candidate for the practice squad, but how the team feels will be determined now that the exhibition games are played out. The team is shifting from an instructional level to a weekly preparation for an opponent. We shall see how he fairs out now.
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  16. Zimmy Lives

5,851 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    On one hand, I'd like to see him in a game situation but I'd rather they give him little exposure if they plan to hide him on the PS. On the other hand, if there is serious concern (from the staff) about Tony's back, then he needs all the playing time he can get.
  17. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,624 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Very Hutch like qualities (great arm, terrible pocket presence, and goofy looking:D)
    visionary likes this.
  18. Animosity

Animosity Active Member

432 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Don't know how bad this can be. He won some games as a starter. He can't be as bad as Stephen McGee
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,487 Messages
    6,201 Likes Received
    Witten indicated in an interview this week that he's looked great physically but is struggling with some of the checks and with hot reads.

Talking Cowboys suggested he's a lot more comfortable in hurry up, and that even the longer play calls in the regular offense are a struggle still. Not that he's dumb or anything, but that it's been an adjustment for him.

If he struggles, I expect it'll be with some of the mental stuff. Looking forward to seeing him in the two-minute offense now, too.
  20. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,223 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    Weeden 1st half or almost all of it, Hanie 3rd quarter, possibly some in 2nd half, Vaughan 4th quarter, or just into the 4th.

2nd preaseason game, romo 1 or 2 series, Wededn rest of half, and start of the 3rd quarter, so he can learn how they do any adjustments, even though not game planned. But it still helps.