1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CBS Sports draft tracker has studied even more film & found 5 diamonds in the rough

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 5, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Diamonds in the rough emerging in film study
    Posted on: February 4, 2012 1:50 pm

Over the past few weeks, my fellow NFLDraftScout.com analyst Dane Brugler and I have been working around the clock to finish up the 300+ player profiles we'll be offering here and for Lindy's NFL Draft Magazine.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/34692760
    QB Brock Osweiler, Arizona State: I was disappointed to see Osweiler leave after his junior season as he remains a raw prospect. However, he possesses a strong, accurate arm and much better athleticism than most would reasonably expect given his huge frame (6-7, 240). There has been so much talk about which quarterback is likely to follow up Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin. For my money, that player has been (and remains) Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. But in the race to follow Tannehill, Osweiler has the physical skill-set to lead ahead of next group, including Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden and Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, the two most impressive quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl.

CB Ryan Steed, Furman: With a very strong week in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, Steed has been receiving a great deal of positive attention lately. I went back to his junior (as well as senior) film to make sure that the consistency I saw there matched up to his play against lesser competition. Steed is athletic, instinctive and possesses very good ball skills. If he runs in the 4.4s as I expect, he's not just a top 75 guy he might push the Alfonzo Dennard, Leonard Johnson and Stephon Gilmores of the world for a run as a late first round candidate.

DL/LB Brett Roy, Nevada: Roy played out of position for the Wolfpack, lining up at defensive tackle despite weighing in the 260-270 pound area throughout his career. He has a toned, well-distributed build that isn't going to be able to handle adding the 30+ pounds of "good" weight most teams require at defensive tackle in the NFL. He does, however, show the instincts, lateral agility, vision and open field tackling skills to potentially make the conversion to linebacker for 3-4 clubs. Roy plays to the whistle. I watched him pursue Boise State RB Doug Martin 50+ yards downfield, demonstrating the never-say-die mentality that could help him a roster spot and time to develop.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I don't see him jumping that high. Furman University is 15 minutes from my back door. I have been able to watch Steed from the time he took the field as a 8th grader on the Varsity squad on through to over 50% of his games at Furman and while he is a legit NFL CB from a small school there is no way he is a first round CB. If he continues his trend I can see his name being called in the later part of round 2 but he is simply too raw and has not scene enough quality competition to invest a 1st round pick into.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I want it to be officially recognized that I was highly skeptical of Dennard supposedly being a 1st round talent. I think it was properly shown that Dennard was just as I described; stiff, stocky, and handsy. I think he can find his niche' as a nickel corner, but I don't project him as a starting caliber corner at the next level.
  4. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Recognized as long as my man crush on McClellin long before the Senior Bowl is duly noted. :laugh2:
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McClellin from Boise State? Duly noted.
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I just hope he turns out better then my man crush from last year...........

remember Mark LeGree...............................yeah:eek::
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't trip, I once thought Mardy Gilyard was the next Santonio Holmes.
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    That makes two of us but I let you be the first. Loved to get that guy in the 4th but he might not be there. My Ideal draft would be DeCastro, Hosley, Reyes (UConn DE) then McClellin.
  9. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I get the feeling if Dallas has any interest they will need to pounce in the 2nd and as much as I love him it's too rich for my blood but a trade back or additional pick in the 2nd would change that quick.
  10. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Better then the one catch and his low production was due more to that gimmicky pistol offense. Will be interesting to see what he does at the combine.
  11. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I know it is early but with your sources do they have any interest?
  12. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I really love the McClellin kid, really.
  13. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    They actually have heavy interest in several of the Boise St defensive players. Expect a heavy Dallas presence at their Pro Day.
  14. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    hey sdogo, did you and silverbear and some others go to the senior bowl like yr before and maybe another game catching what players the scouts and coaches were watching and seemingly interested in?
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I did not make it to the Senior Bowl this year so I have been relying on some old connections to feed me info. First time in 6 years I missed it. On the flip side, I will be attending the combine for 3 days for the first time in 6 years.