1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CBS SPORTS: Keeping Romo is smart, but Cowboys have talent deficit

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CowboysYanksLakers, Mar 30, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,118 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    "This was former Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb on Twitter when news of Tony Romo's juicy extension broke: "Tony Romo 6 yr 55 million dollar extension. Wow really, with one playoff win. You got to be kidding me."That will be a signifcant chunk of the reaction. Too much for a guy who rarely wins a big game. Fair enough. (McNabb had nine playoff wins, but one of his losses was to, um, Romo.) As usual, Romo will get almost all of the focus. But I'm here to tell you that Romo has never been the biggest problem. The larger issue is what's around him."

Read more here:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...romo-is-smart-but-cowboys-have-talent-deficit
  2. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,553 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Pretty much says it all.
  3. Freeman overstates it a little. Lee and Carter are not pedestrian. Jury is still out on Claiborne (he could be very good). Otherwise, yes, the defense is pedestrian. The thing that is really hurting Dallas (beside mediocre drafting) is an inability to cut dead weight (e.g., Ratliff, Free). Jerry extends guys that are not much now and will be less in the future. But cap hell is around the corner. I am concerned that Jerry will trade out of the first round just to save money under the cap.
  4. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,130 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Getting the excuses ready already when he fails.it's always someone else fault that this guy can't get it done.just another built in excuse when it comes to jerry screwing up by giving this guy all this money.
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Ware, Spencer, Ratliff (if healthy), and Carr are pedestrian?

And an inability to cut Free? You do realize June is still 2 months away right?
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    from someone who is slobbering all over Matt Barkley this is hilarious
  7. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    Really poor analysis.

I would say that Carter and Lee can be pro bowlers. If Ratliff is healthy and plays well, our front seven should be significantly better this year. Claiborne should be better this year. Carr is what he is, a pretty good corner.

I don't think we're especially deficient on defense. We still need to draft a safety, and then next year probably a defensive tackle, but beyond that I think we're fine.

On offense I think we're set, although getting Laurent Robinson in and seeing how he does makes sense. It's all about fixing this offensive line, which should be easy to do with signing Moore, drafting Womack or Cooper. Then we still have options for tackle and center.

I think we've drafted quite well the last 3 years. I think we had a rotting core, but I think that core is almost entirely gone. Maybe except Scandrick. Scandrick is probably looking his last or second to last year here.
  8. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,130 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Yea i think in time Barkley is going to be really good.and unlike Romo, i don't think he will choke games away.he may even win a super bowl one day. something Romo will never do.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Barkley isn't going to even start in this league. Give it a rest.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Our WRs are better than 'good.' And we've got several defensive players who are better than 'pedestrian.'

The gist is ok, though, that we've got to draft a better team to put around Romo. QB is not the reason we've missed the playoffs the last two seasons.
  11. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

867 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Matt Barkley?! LMAO :laugh2:
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    I agree. We have a line deficiency. Unfortunately, that affects all the talent that Dallas has on offense, and ultimately affects the defense, too.

Now, the defense has plenty of talent, but it needs to be a) healthy and b) used right. Hopefully that will happen this season, and if it does, it's at least the difference between winning and losing a couple of games.
  13. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    cowboys team rankings last year:

passing offense: 3rd
    rushing offense: 31st
    passing defense: 19th
    rushing defense: 22nd

yeah... clearly, romo is the problem.

:banghead:
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,118 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Romo needs a real offensive line and a running game!!!!
  15. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Romo hasn't been the problem but he hasn't been the solution either.

He hasn't been a good leader on or off the field. He doesn't manage a game well. He is turnover prone.

With better talent, offensive line in particular, he would be a better qb. Right now I would put Romo in the top half of qb's but he is being paid like an elite qb which he certainly is not.
  16. cbredmon

cbredmon New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Romo needs to lose some weight so he can maintain what little speed and quickness he has...Jason Garrett was on him a couple years ago about getting in better shape. I hope Jason is on him now about his weight because he sure looks out of shape to me.
  17. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    And throw in a more solidly built defensive front, too. This team is not built to compete year-in year-out.

And it's funny, they've solved the hardest problem by getting Romo at QB, but the easiest things to do-- consistently replenishing the offensive and defensive fronts, they are unable to solve.

It's what's kept the Cowboys from playoff success for over 15 years.